Yummy's Thumper build

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Yummy's Thumper build

Post by Tummydoc »

Caliche wrote:Tummydoc- that is beautiful work. How in the heck did you solder it all? Was there brazing involved?
No, that was all normal lead free plumbing solder on the copper. Stay Brite 8 on the stainless ferrules. I had to solder a short 2 inch sleeve onto the ferrules first. I soldered the 2 inch-3/4 inch reducer and elbow into the tee, then added the sleeved ferrules.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I am setting up a big (70 litre??) stainless vessel like a thumper.
I will be able to use it as a thumper; to steam distil grain ferments; or to both ferment and distil grappa.
If I get around to doing those things...

Anyway the point is I am fitting the down pipe (for the vapour) on the OUTSIDE.
No complicated fittings needed on the top.

There will be a plate with holes in it to keep solids etc. above the perforated pipe that brings in the vapour.

Geoff
The Baker
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

That will be great for a dedicated vessel Geoff, and simple. The thump spear allows me to change between multiple sanke kegs of varying sizes, but i usually go with a half barrel keg.
Caliche
Novice

Post by Caliche »

Well, it’s not pretty but it’s done and it doesn’t leak! I used a 1” snorkel down into the thumper which was a little tight making that internal turn. I had to really trim back the bells. Only soldered, didn’t have to braze after all. Thanks for the help! Now just gotta get my kegs back from the welder and I can do my cleaning runs.

Cheers!
8370f2762536deff1e2ec2a682991a2d.jpg
79fe1cc762244f3b02a569047ca1ea22.jpg
7ef45cfc1ee8f49611b22380bfadba2c.jpg
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Well done Caliche ,should work well . :thumbup:
tjsc5f
Swill Maker

Post by tjsc5f »

I ran across this thread a while back and it inspired me to do my build, so thanks Yummy!
Today I saw it linked in another thread, so figured I'd share the way I went about it.
Yummyrum wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:11 am It was a bitch to make.
I just took your word for it here, didn't even try it. I rearranged things a bit and took advantage of the cheap stainless TC adapters available on Amazon. All of the copper is standard stuff you can get at any box store.

Full Setup ISO:
thumper_ISO.JPG
Section:
thumper_SECTION.JPG
This makes it really easy to solder up, assemble, take apart, swap spears etc.

Realized:
thumper_Full.JPG
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Very nice tjsc5f :thumbup:
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

tjsc5f wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:57 pm I ran across this thread a while back and it inspired me to do my build, so thanks Yummy!
Today I saw it linked in another thread, so figured I'd share the way I went about it.
Yummyrum wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:11 am It was a bitch to make.
I just took your word for it here, didn't even try it. I rearranged things a bit and took advantage of the cheap stainless TC adapters available on Amazon. All of the copper is standard stuff you can get at any box store.

Full Setup ISO:
thumper_ISO.JPG

Section:
thumper_SECTION.JPG

This makes it really easy to solder up, assemble, take apart, swap spears etc.

Realized:
thumper_Full.JPG
That's a nice rig. Can you give us some detail on what kind of charges you run in the kettle and thump and what kind of yield you get with the 2 plate vm over it and abv data?

I run a similar setup to these, I'll link it up.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
tjsc5f
Swill Maker

Post by tjsc5f »

Chauncey wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:05 am Can you give us some detail on what kind of charges you run in the kettle and thump and what kind of yield you get with the 2 plate vm over it and abv data?
The configuration in that pic was taken during a sac cleaning run. To date I have only ran half a dozen or so stripping runs through it with plates, reflux condenser and valve removed.
For those runs, boiler was charged with water (as full as possible through the 6" port). Thump keg roughly half full with really thick all grain, grains included. Strip off roughly 2 gallons at 30-35% with these types of runs. Lots of visible oils come through late in the run.

Planning on doing several runs this fall with wash in the boiler and grains in the thumper + plates. Will be logging a lot of info and share the results in a new thread.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Thnx 😊
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.