North Georgia stills

Simple pot still distillation and construction with thumpers and without..

Moderator: Site Moderator

North Georgia stills

Postby Cornbread71 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:41 pm

Am looking to purchace a hobby size pot still.
I have about settled on a 10gal pot set up from ng stills.
Does anyone have any experiance or feedback on their products?
They look good and I know u get what u pay for but, I have more xp running a pot and really like the flavor and nostalgia. I will be heating with gas and doing mostly corn, maybe a fruit run now and then. Thought about a tower/reflux but have minimum xp (have a friend who runs one) on them and would rather just spend my time on a pot still.
Thanx in advance for replies.
Jesus turned water to wine, hillbillies turn water to shine!
Cornbread71
Novice

Re: North Georgia stills

Postby piddler » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:47 pm

IMG_3934.JPG
North Georgia still fragments discovered after 3 runs!
Did you ever decide on a still? i bought one from North Georgia as well as another forum member. Trying to get any modifications or upgrades done with those guys was a pain in the behind. the owner touts his military background as an asset but in his case i'm not so sure? i told him trying to get information on upgrades so i could "pay him more money",,, was the equivalent of working with the "corps of engineers"! Instead of a pleasant experience it was an unnecessarily stressful one. As i suspected and another member also discovered,,, the size of the tubing as well as the size of the thumper and condenser they sell are barely sufficient and could be dangerous with a clog in one of their 3/8" dia lines. A forum member described how his cap blew off with a resulting 6 ft ring of fire,,on his North Georgia still, which is the same as my 20 gall one i just purchased from them!

One of the first things that caught my eye (besides the unnaceptably short stubs of tubing they leave you to make your connections) was the width. i.e. mass of these solder joints! Wow,, never seen 1/2" beads of pure solder! In hindsight i'm not sure that's a good thing? I just finished cleaning and re-checked and re-cleaned the kettle and thumper. I was shocked to discover a quarter size flake of solder in the thumper which could have easily clogged up the 3/8" line and led to an explosion! I cleaned some more and discovered even more filings in the bottom of the kettle that could also lead to a clog and an explosion! (pic attached! don't they clean anything out before shoving them out the door?). the little copper filings were never picked up with a brush or during any of my pressure washing; due to their weight these little copper fragments settle back to the bottom and don't drain (like panning for gold). They are basically invisible to the naked eye when laying/hidden in and against the solder joints in the kettle. North Georgia touts "the ability to get your arm in there to clean". unfortunatrly the inside edge they left me around the inside of collar is razor sharp!! i destroyed my hands getting in there on the first cleaning such that the wife asked me what happened and "who won the fight" %-) . I nearly lacerated my arm getting in there just a moment ago but kept discovering more cooper filings which could have definitely led to a clog so i kept at it! They do a great job of polishing up the outside for sure! however the width and mass of the solder joints (and obviously the solder!) leave a lot to be desired. I'd go with someone else if i had to do it over again.
piddler
Novice

Postby jb-texshine » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:26 pm

Contact Chris Kelly at Rockypointcopperstills.com or via Facebook at either the name or business. Very well made by someone who knows how to operate and build a still. Don't let the website discourage you as he builds smaller sizes also.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
jb-texshine
Master Distiller

Postby Bushman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:24 pm

jb-texshine wrote:Contact Chris Kelly at Rockypointcopperstills.com or via Facebook at either the name or business. Very well made by someone who knows how to operate and build a still. Don't let the website discourage you as he builds smaller sizes also.

The copper CM still they advertise in the reflux still section is a very old design that is not very efficient.
Bushman
Global moderator

Postby jb-texshine » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:20 pm

Bushman wrote:
jb-texshine wrote:Contact Chris Kelly at Rockypointcopperstills.com or via Facebook at either the name or business. Very well made by someone who knows how to operate and build a still. Don't let the website discourage you as he builds smaller sizes also.

The copper CM still they advertise in the reflux still section is a very old design that is not very efficient.

He will build anything you want however you want it.

Deo Vendice

jb-texshine
Master Distiller

Postby Swedish Pride » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:14 am

know of a fella that had awful problems with em, in saying that I bet it would be hard to find any a builder with flawless feedback, except me , I'm flawless.
Don't be a dick
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby piddler » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:00 pm

well he can't be as bad as north georgia still co who will knowingly send you out the door with an undersized product. if you try to ask questions you will be cut off and replies to emails, texts and phone calls will mysteriously stop! You will be entertained untill you place your order but made to feel as if you only get one request or question and anything else is "out of line"! Don't expect any questions, calls, texts or emails to be replied to after you have placed your order,,, even if as in my case it's 2 weeks since i upgraded to heavy copper! You won't hear anything more untill right before your still is ready for pick up or to be shipped!

I'm so darn perturbed i gotta go spend another couple hundred damn dollars in addition to the $600 +,, for solder, couplings, fittings, and new parts, etc. just to make this thing safe before i can run it again! what makes me angry is i sincerely tried to "pay" that "jack ass" to help me get it right the first time but was cut off at the knees while trying to do so. i knew just enough to be dangerous and asking the right questions with the guy only serves to piss him off. Beware if you are buying a product from North Georgia still co their thumper and consensor,, it will not be safe to run untill you upgrade it!!!! It's shameful, pathetic and the height of irresponsibility for them to operate in such a manner! Unfortunately my guess is someone's gonna get hurt and sue the hell out of them before they do it right or go out of business.
piddler
Novice

Postby still_stirrin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:46 pm

piddler wrote:...my guess is someone's gonna get hurt and sue the hell out of them before they do it right or go out of business.

It’s a “catch 22”, because if you try to sue...what’s the basis....distilling alcohol? It seems like you might have more trouble from the law than he would with the liability. He’s gotcha’....and your money.

Only thing you can hope to do is to “black list” him. And warn as many potential buyers of his design shortfall and customer service.
ss
Attention new distillers: Cranky's spoon feed info
What is a Proof & Traille hydrometer: Alcohol-meter
Enzyme info: SebStar
HD Google search info: HD Google-how to
All about mashing grains: Braukaiser
still_stirrin
Master Distiller

Postby jb-texshine » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:47 pm

North Georgia and vengeance stills are partners.
Also
Distillery network and importstills.com are the same co. Distillery network claims to build their stills but they come from India. I have a copy of the metallurgy testing paperwork from New Delhi metallurgy showing 5% lead in the copper.have also been in contact with the builder in India who built them and confirmed that. They were ordered as essential oil distillers,that's why the lead. Makes north Georgia still co seem good in comparison huh.
But wait...
Distillery network/importstills is owned by the same guy as stills/stevezstillz but ran by his partner and son.
All shit stills. Undersized thumpers and worms and flat seams on boilers. The brass drain plugs are also not for potable use. Also all builders from here to top of post should be blacklisted. All also sell undersized stills. As in ten gallons is to the top of cone. Not bottom.
Crazy huh?
Then there's whiskey still company, bigbobs got one... they are not made in Texas or anywhere else in the United states. Their supplier is al-ambique the Portugal company. Good stills just falsely advertised. Small worm diameter though.
The only builders I know of that will build you exactly what you want and it be safe by HD standards and mechanical standards are Chris at rockypoint And Todd at stampede stills. Both have some base model stills and will do custom order anything you want.
Be careful who you buy from.
Or just build.
Jbt

Deo Vendice

jb-texshine
Master Distiller

Postby piddler » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:41 pm

according to chris purdy with vengeance stills,, jeff warneke of north georgia stills is a former employee whom he fired! they do not have a cordial relationship and it sounds like their next meeting may be down at the courthouse! so far they have been very responsive to giving me feedback on my proposed upgrades and seem willing to work with me to upgrade North Georgia’s undersized contraption. It’s early so i’ll let you know how it goes but i’d like to get a tri-clamp installed to take off my cap,, larger tubing, a new thumper and a prv valve installed.
piddler
Novice

Return to Pot Distillation/Thumper and Design