Small Alembic and Hotplate for Gins and Infusions

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Small Alembic and Hotplate for Gins and Infusions

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Hi, I have convinced myself that I need a small dedicated Alembic (2.5gallon) for gin infusions, sambucas, geists, and similar. Small enough to proof down some clean neutral and run a simple vapor infusion or spirit maceration... Love the Alembic look but am interested in recommended suppliers. Also interested in running this mostly in the kitchen on a hotplate preferably on a 110V circuit not 220. Not sure whether 1500W would be enough but figure a 20A 110 can give 2kW.

I've already got a 13gallon potstill with 220V 5k5W element that I use for whiskies / brandies / etc and am working on putting a CCVM column together for neutrals.. I rather enjoy the fairly quick heatup of the 5k5W system but may ultimately augment that with some gas for even quicker heatup then shut off gas for the run...

This doesn't necessarily have to be an Alembic so am very open to thoughts from the group on a small dedicated gin still. I do really like the traditional look of the Alembic.

I prefer to purchase a done deal hotplate but can DIY an SSR if really needed or even install an element port but would prefer to keep the pot virgin too..

Appreciate the input from any and all!
Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————