Low proof out of Potstill

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tartuffe
Novice

Low proof out of Potstill

Post by Tartuffe »

I have tried multiple searches but proof, abv, and raising are all just too common of terms.

I have a 12 gallon copper pot still with a 4" cap, 6" height, reduced down to 2" column 30" high, reducing at a tee to a 1/2 copper pipe with Leibig condenser.

I have run about 10 runs on Nc Hooches AG bourbon. Taste is good, I start with a 5.5% abv wash and add around a gallon on 40% abv feints. I collect around 2.5-3 liters after cuts at 45%. My collection rate on propane burner is 300 ml every 6 minutes. End up with about 30 300 ml jars collecting down to 20% abv. I let them air out for a day, line em up and sniff and taste to make cuts. Typically hearts start at 54% abv and tails come in around 40%

The question is that I have never collected above 70% abv product. Is this low abv % normal given my setup?
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Low proof out of Potstill

Post by Pikey »

Tartuffe wrote:
............. I start with a 5.5% abv wash and add around a gallon on 40% abv feints...........
So on a 12 gallon wash that raises your starting abv to around 8.5 % - There is a relationship between abv in the pot and abv out when using a pot still.

I you wanst stronger abv out - ferment to say 10% then add your feints and try that.

Or double distil. Many do that as a matter of course anyway.
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Yes, hearts on a single run from a pot still will be right around there. Do a double run and see if that suits you better.

As for searching, use the HD google search to get better results. Directions are in my signature.

SR
Tartuffe
Novice

Post by Tartuffe »

Thank-you guys for the replies. I am not unsatisfied with the results, was just curious if I was off somehow since I never read of anybody else with similarly low abv. Also, reading so much about tails coming in right about where I am in my hearts had me questioning my methods.
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Tartuffe wrote:Thank-you guys for the replies. I am not unsatisfied with the results, was just curious if I was off somehow since I never read of anybody else with similarly low abv. Also, reading so much about tails coming in right about where I am in my hearts had me questioning my methods.
The difference is that you’re doing single runs. Most run twice.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

You might look into adding a thumper to increase your abv
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
MidnightBrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MidnightBrewer »

Mine starts at 80% with thumper.
I also start with a 20% mash.
Attachments
20180228_144941__1519858352_50.92.151.127.jpg
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Many of us who do double runs don't even measure proof of the stripping runs. I usually measure low wines once to see if I need any dilution before a spirit run, but if I were to report percentages, it would be on the spirit run.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

ABadBrewer wrote:Mine starts at 80% with thumper.
I also start with a 20% mash.
Are you making a 20% sugar wash or adding feints?
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
MidnightBrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MidnightBrewer »

20% apple mash, berry mash, 18% cinnamon mash. Going to try to knock the % down a couple to see if flavour and time line improves. Right now these high sugar mashes go slow, been taking two weeks. I get about 8 - 9L per 6 gallon mash. I run 6l in my 20l boiler at a time. Removed my thumper to run in pot still mode. If I cook 6L at a time, then each run is about 10 min shy of two hours. If I put 7L in it and break the 1/3 line it takes about 4.5 hours to cook it without over runs. I get about 1 - 2L of heads, 5 - 6L of hearts and various amounts of tails. About 4-5l after second distill
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

If you feel that the double run loses too much flavor then look into the 1.5 run.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

ABadBrewer wrote:20% apple mash, berry mash, 18% cinnamon mash. Going to try to knock the % down a couple to see if flavour and time line improves. Right now these high sugar mashes go slow, been taking two weeks. I get about 8 - 9L per 6 gallon mash. I run 6l in my 20l boiler at a time. Removed my thumper to run in pot still mode. If I cook 6L at a time, then each run is about 10 min shy of two hours. If I put 7L in it and break the 1/3 line it takes about 4.5 hours to cook it without over runs. I get about 1 - 2L of heads, 5 - 6L of hearts and various amounts of tails. About 4-5l after second distill
There is a difference between mash, must and, wash.
Here is the HD glossary viewtopic.php?f=46&t=58100
It should help you get the names down.
Those are some mighty high gravity washes you got going. I personally don't like them that high because it gives off flavors that I dislike. But if you like the taste of them that way more power to you. If I were you I would make one at 10% to compare with the 20% just to see the difference. I'm not trying to tell you, you have to do so and so to make a nice drink because what one person likes it's 180 for another. At the end of the day nothing of this matters as long as you are happy with your product and you feel it's the best you can make for yourself.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy