4" Pot Still Design

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

sergiolis
Swill Maker

4" Pot Still Design

Post by sergiolis »

Hola amigos!!!
I'm planning to build a 4" Pot still. Main reason is that I need this big basket capacity. To do this I need to buy 5m of 108mm copper tube, so probably afterwards I will build a 4" Boka with the rest of the tube.
That's why I'm trying to build just only one condenser suitable for both.
I'm thinking to add a dual 5500W heating element and I could work about 8000W to boil the kettle.
Just curious what do you think about the design and also wondering if this shotgun will be enough. It will be very heavy but in some way I will counter its weight.
4 inch still web.jpg
shotgun 4 inch con 15mm web.jpg
shotgun 4 inch con 12mm web .jpg
Bushman
Admin

Re: 4" Pot Still Design

Post by Bushman »

I think you can make the shotgun condenser with a lot less tubes. I have a 4" column with five 3/4" tubes in my shotgun style RC and four 1/2" tubes for my PC condenser.
sergiolis
Swill Maker

Post by sergiolis »

Hi Bushman,
your column is VM? or LM?
what is the height of your column shotgun?
Is there any picture in some thread?
Thanks a lot for your advice
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Hola sergiolis.

I'm not saying anything is wrong. I am curious as to why on this Pot still you have the second column just for your gin basket? If your basket slides into the top, why not just remove the second column section all together and drop your gin basket into your main column?

You mentioned making a boka later. If you keep your existing design, you could remove the gin basket and replace it with a reflex coil which would give you LM capabilities, like a boka. You would need to tweek the bottom of that second column for the cup size and recycling vs collection like a boka does.

I may be misreading the design, so forgive me if I'm not making sense.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
sergiolis
Swill Maker

Post by sergiolis »

Hi Otist,
The thing is that if I buy 5m lenght copper tube (the only way that i can buy here 4" copper) after this building i will still have about 2 meters more.
I've distilled gin as you say with basket in main column but then I build another still with the basket separated. Is not science and I don't have evidence but I prefer to separate the gin basket. In this way drops refluxing from the basket are not coming back to the boiler so the boiler keeps more clean. I'm making vapour infused gin so no maceration. Another advantage is that if you have the main column free you can add some scrubbres to clean a bit more your neutral adding some extra reflux before they pass through the basket.
But I admit that it is a personal decision...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

sergiolis wrote:Hi Bushman,
your column is VM? or LM?
what is the height of your column shotgun?
Is there any picture in some thread?
Thanks a lot for your advice
I have a CM my product condenser is 36". Picture below.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (27.61 KiB) Viewed 1642 times
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

sergiolis wrote:Hi Otist,
The thing is that if I buy 5m lenght copper tube (the only way that i can buy here 4" copper) after this building i will still have about 2 meters more.
I've distilled gin as you say with basket in main column but then I build another still with the basket separated. Is not science and I don't have evidence but I prefer to separate the gin basket. In this way drops refluxing from the basket are not coming back to the boiler so the boiler keeps more clean. I'm making vapour infused gin so no maceration. Another advantage is that if you have the main column free you can add some scrubbres to clean a bit more your neutral adding some extra reflux before they pass through the basket.
But I admit that it is a personal decision...
All that is good and makes sense to me now. I was thrown off by your statement that this was a Pot still and that your diagram does not show a reflux condenser anywhere. No problem, just some misused terminology. Keep building and I will follow your progress. :-)

I still think you could use that second column then for your LM functionality, eliminating the need for a Boka too.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
sergiolis
Swill Maker

Post by sergiolis »

Sorry about the confusion. Actually I will use a 2" dimroth for this gin still because it will be enough and lighter than a shotgun.
Anyway I will build a 4" Boka too and I would like to put a shotgun in this one.
Bushman could you tell me at what wattage are you working with your CM column during hearts?