pot still design

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

brewsters_minion
Novice

pot still design

Post by brewsters_minion »

hi all not posted in a while :wave: ....been busy in the workshop and experimenting with my china still :shifty:

i have a 50L keg now and a 2700w @230v / 3000w @240v water heater element installed :thumbup:

i have a rough :moresarcasm: a very rough paint drawing id like you all too look at and offer some more advice/critisism

there will be a cap on the tee with a temp probe as hope to modify in the future :wtf: :crazy:

the 54mm copper has been soldered too the threaded spear so it will just screw in with a little ptfe tape it sits a a slight angle but was a great soldering learning curve
Attachments
my design so far.png
my design so far.png (10.25 KiB) Viewed 3378 times
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: pot still design

Post by still_stirrin »

It should work for you. A potstill....with a future modification into a reflux column, if needed. Keeping it modular is ideal.

I’d put unions (or triclover ferrules) on the inlet and branch line of the tee. That’ll give you future adaptability into a VM reflux column with the addition of a CSST reflux condenser in the top of the tee.

Otherwise, capped on top (without a RC) and it’s a potstill.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
brewsters_minion
Novice

thanks for the reply. was looking at a boka design in the future, but just cutting my teeth still (no pun intended).
csst im finding hard too find in the uk as was wanting to incorporate a cold finger. (im probably just being dumb but i will find it )
i was planning on soldering the tee on for now as i can cut it off and create a flange as 2" copper pipe is 3 times cheaper that the copper unions i can find at a glance.

im wanting too build a controller as well but cant find the thread with the parts from maplin from another uk still hand that built one.

well off too find that thread now and thanks for a vote of confidence on my design and also not commenting on my paint skills or lack off :lolno: :thumbup:
StarkBlood1980
Novice

Post by StarkBlood1980 »

brewsters_minion wrote:thanks for the reply. was looking at a boka design in the future, but just cutting my teeth still (no pun intended).
csst im finding hard too find in the uk as was wanting to incorporate a cold finger. (im probably just being dumb but i will find it )
i was planning on soldering the tee on for now as i can cut it off and create a flange as 2" copper pipe is 3 times cheaper that the copper unions i can find at a glance.

im wanting too build a controller as well but cant find the thread with the parts from maplin from another uk still hand that built one.

well off too find that thread now and thanks for a vote of confidence on my design and also not commenting on my paint skills or lack off :lolno: :thumbup:
I got my CSST from here https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0010413 ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow and I’m in the UK. Think it cost me about £15 posted
brewsters_minion
Novice

thanking you very much for the link. ive spent the past 2 weeks looking in all the trade depots i can but only found short lengths so far.

will this wind up to fit in a 54mm/2" pipe? or will i need a smaller diameter?
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

> will this wind up to fit in a 54mm/2" pipe? or will i need a smaller diameter?

I suggest you get the 3/8" diameter in order to wind a true coil.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
StarkBlood1980
Novice

Post by StarkBlood1980 »

brewsters_minion wrote:thanking you very much for the link. ive spent the past 2 weeks looking in all the trade depots i can but only found short lengths so far.

will this wind up to fit in a 54mm/2" pipe? or will i need a smaller diameter?
I’m building a 63mm/2.5 inch boka and I’ve been reliably informed it’ll fit.
I’m not sure if you’re aware of JTM plumbing but they’re a good source for copper pipe/fittings here in the UK
brewsters_minion
Novice

:D its the shop i i have bought all my copper from so far even popped into store once as was working out that way.
noticed your not far from me as well. im on your border close the the racehorse town :shock:
brewsters_minion
Novice

greggn wrote:> will this wind up to fit in a 54mm/2" pipe? or will i need a smaller diameter?

I suggest you get the 3/8" diameter in order to wind a true coil.
thank you very much greggn :thumbup:
StarkBlood1980
Novice

Post by StarkBlood1980 »

brewsters_minion wrote::D its the shop i i have bought all my copper from so far even popped into store once as was working out that way.
noticed your not far from me as well. im on your border close the the racehorse town :shock:
You must be real close then, I’m between the horses and American airforce!
brewsters_minion
Novice

yes we are im in cathedral city, its a small world
StarkBlood1980
Novice

Post by StarkBlood1980 »

brewsters_minion wrote:yes we are im in cathedral city, its a small world
Certainly is. I used to work in that city about 15 years ago!
brewsters_minion
Novice

do you use a controller ? as wouldnt mind a link too the one you built. ive just been through 10 pages of search function for heater element and the capacitors in my brain have fried with all the overloading tehehe
StarkBlood1980
Novice

Post by StarkBlood1980 »

brewsters_minion wrote:do you use a controller ? as wouldnt mind a link too the one you built. ive just been through 10 pages of search function for heater element and the capacitors in my brain have fried with all the overloading tehehe
Cheap power controller.
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-220V-4000W- ... mwBanner=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Works on my 3000w tea urn just fine once I disconnected the thermostat that cuts off the power to the element.
I’ve had a rolling boil using water so should be just fine when I get the column built.
brewsters_minion
Novice

that looks just the ticket! thanks again
if you want too upgrade too a keg give us a shout i do a lot of work for the big local brewery and theres a few landords who dont mind giving me a keg now and then ;)
StarkBlood1980
Novice

Post by StarkBlood1980 »

brewsters_minion wrote:that looks just the ticket! thanks again
if you want too upgrade too a keg give us a shout i do a lot of work for the big local brewery and theres a few landords who dont mind giving me a keg now and then ;)
I’ll bare that in mind, thanks.
I just need to find someone local that can do a spot of braising for me.
brewsters_minion
Novice

my braising guy left the company i used (paid a bottle of gin) but im sure the tig welder was interested and may know some one. ill ask him next time im passing by ;)
StarkBlood1980
Novice

Post by StarkBlood1980 »

brewsters_minion wrote:my braising guy left the company i used (paid a bottle of gin) but im sure the tig welder was interested and may know some one. ill ask him next time im passing by ;)
Sounds good, thanks