half barrel boiler with 2 thumpers question

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

half barrel boiler with 2 thumpers question

Post by Chauncey »

Just finished up a new Keg still, pretty standard stuff 24" tall column thats 2" in diameter, goes down to a 900mm liebig(3/4" jacket with 1/2" vapor tube) etc etc nothing fancy.

anyway I happen to have an extra half barrel keg and a 1/6 barrel stilling around and enough tubing, fittings, TCs etc to set them both up as thump kegs.

here is my question

would there be an issue with the second thumper being a smaller 1/6 keg with the bigger 15.5gal thumper keg in line before it? my brains tells me it should be fine, but dang ol brains also make me check here on HD before I go thru with building the whole setup as there are some nuances to this hobby that arent always that obvious. IIRC a 1/6 barrel is like 5.16 gallons or something which would make it about adequate following the minimum thumper size of 1/3 the boiler volume.

LMK what you sweet guys and gals think about this, so i can get on with some madstillin :)

thanks in advance

AMELIH
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: half barrel boiler with 2 thumpers question

Post by Euphoria »

Ideally, the "rule of thumb" for a Thumper says it should be sized around 1/3 to 1/2 the capacity of your boiler. A Thumper sized that small, (1/6th,) may not be your best option. Although I mainly run my 4" Plated Reflux Column for most of my stilling, when I do set-up my equipment to run in "Pot Still" mode with my 3" Lyne Arm and Liebig condenser, I have a 26 gal boiler that I can use along with my 13 gallon boiler as a Thumper, and if I want to use my 13 gal boiler, then I can hook it up to my 8 gal. pot as a Thumper. (All modular components.) Just my 2 cents.

Here's my 13 gal boiler with my 8 gal. Thumper.
Attachments
Still 006 (Custom).JPG
Last edited by Euphoria on Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

as i said it would be the second thumper, 15.5gal boiler>15.5gal thumper>5.16 gal thumper

should i just leave the 5.16 off all together?

Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

Personally, I would leave it off and just run your still with one Thumper. You really wouldn't gain much with a small still to warrant two Thumpers.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

excellent thank you much for the advice. beautiful setup by the way. im going to upgrade myself to a 28gal fusti tank at some point. i also have nearly everything i need to build a reflux column so ill be working on that slowly but steadily while i get back in my groove of stillin. the last run i did was august of 2016. bad breakup and the ex has my old 15 gallon copper pot, in hell, where she lives.

Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I do not understand about the rule of thumb for the size of thumpers. I use a boiler of 10 L as a thumper for another boiler of 10 L.
I have seen diagrams of double thumpers for distilling rum. These are both about half the size of the original boiler, at least in the picture.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Matter of if ya want to use it. Could always use as a puker or just for adding some flavoring .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper