New build pot still questions

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jeffp60
Novice

New build pot still questions

Post by Jeffp60 »

I built a 8 gal brewpot with 2 gal thumper. 17 in tall 1in column. Rest is half inch. My condenser is 2ft 3/4 pipe with 30 in 1/2 inside. ran a water test 5gal bucket 62 degrees no ice, temp out of return line was 73 before i shut down to fix a leaky joint . product temp early on was upper 60s but i didnt check it at shut down. Also,my pump is huge pond pump, i put a t in to cut pressure down. I was getting pretty good drips,not a stream but rapid consistant drips
1. Is temp an issue?
2. Is there a range I'm looking for?
Shine0n
Distiller

Re: New build pot still questions

Post by Shine0n »

If you have the option, go with an equal sized thumper, if not keep an eye on it as 1/4 is the minimum size you would want. I love thumpers!!!

Temp on a potstill is not necessary but for informational purposes it could tell you where you're run would be producing certain parts of the run... that is IF you run the exact same wash/mash and keep good notes.

I'm my experience that probe would just be another point of leak, run the heat source decently high until you get product then dial back some until it's a steady pencil lead sized stream.

If you plan to strip the run followed by a spirit run, crank the heat as much as your condenser can handle and strip it down to 10-15%. When you do the spirit run make sure the low wines are below 40% :twisted:
Jeffp60
Novice

Re: New build pot still questions

Post by Jeffp60 »

Thanks shine. Was just concerned liebig wasnt big enough but it seems to be pulling heat ok. I didnt put in temp,just checked cooling water.