Thumper Maintenance and Improvement

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TDick
Distiller

Thumper Maintenance and Improvement

Post by TDick »

Full Disclosure: Cross posted because I need all the help I can get! :crazy:

This is similar to my 5 gallon copper pot w thumper, except quite a bit shinier.
5 Gal Copper Pot.jpg
Granted when I bought it I knew even less than I do now, and I figure I got my money's worth.
When I first got it, got the rattling bits out of the thumper and gave it the vinegar run and water run.
I finally got to do a sac run and when I started cleaning it, I heard more rattling in the thumper.
Which I ASSuME to be more solder and NOT a desired ingredient in my product.
Of course it's fairly small, and the drain small, and I haven't been able to shake it out

I used a solder pen many years ago to put a small permanent scar on one hand, that's the extent of my soldering experience.
But I'm guessing that has to change as I'm thinking I need to desolder the drain to clean the crap out.
While I am at it I wanted to get suggestions on improving this thing.

The copper tubing is 3/8" OD as instructed. So wondering if increasing the diameters of just some of the tubing will screw things up in the equation.
Also, I want to use the thumper to infuse botanicals for gin, but the hole is WAY too small.
Would putting a larger cap on top to add an infusion basket screw up the performance of the thumper.
Any other suggestions to improve it while I'm "deconstructing" it?
Thanks!
:mrgreen:
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Thumper Maintenance and Improvement

Post by Pikey »

I think you need a cap / cover at least big enough to get your whole arm in for cleaning and filling.

At the end of the day - it's just a tin can. As long as it's gas-tight, it will be fine. 8)
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

I figured out working on major modifications not going to happen anytime soon.
But I still have the solder in the thumper issue.
BTW it's a one gallon thumper with a 5 gallon boiler.

I thought instead of getting a torch and taking the top off and putting it back together (bad idea at this point) a reasonable alternative was to just drill a hole in the top and plug it with a cork or wooden plug.

Then I was given a couple of these wine bottle stoppers at a wedding and immediately thought they might be a quick fix.
Thumper.jpg
just to reference the size of the stopper.
Thumper with Stopper.jpg
Seems like a quick drill and clean/sand on the top would do the trick and also easily let me add botanicals, fruits, whatever during the run.
Am I wrong and is there a better, simple idea?
:wtf:
Monero Mustang
Novice

Post by Monero Mustang »

I have the same thumper from North Georgia Still. I soldered a solid copper rod between the ears to make them more rigid. I am certainly considering cutting a port in the top and solder a threaded copper pipe over the hole with a cap for the end of the pipe to facilitate better cleaning and filling without having to break the system apart. I guess one positive point about NG stills is that they are so basic they leave lots of room for the individual to modify as desired.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Monero Mustang wrote:I have the same thumper from North Georgia Still. I soldered a solid copper rod between the ears to make them more rigid. I am certainly considering cutting a port in the top and solder a threaded copper pipe over the hole with a cap for the end of the pipe to facilitate better cleaning and filling without having to break the system apart. I guess one positive point about NG stills is that they are so basic they leave lots of room for the individual to modify as desired.
Thanks for the reminder, mm.
I am replacing an unsuitable washer in the lid of my 20 litre stock-pot pot still.
I was going to make a washer from copper, flattened from two inch tube.

But I will now run a wide copper strip the width of the lid, with the hole cut in it to act as the washer. The 'nut' will hold it in place.
That will strengthen the whole thing.

Geoff
The Baker
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

The Baker wrote:
Monero Mustang wrote:I have the same thumper from North Georgia Still. I soldered a solid copper rod between the ears to make them more rigid. I am certainly considering cutting a port in the top and solder a threaded copper pipe over the hole with a cap for the end of the pipe to facilitate better cleaning and filling without having to break the system apart.
Thanks for the reminder, mm.
I am replacing an unsuitable washer in the lid of my 20 litre stock-pot pot still.
I was going to make a washer from copper, flattened from two inch tube.

But I will now run a wide copper strip the width of the lid, with the hole cut in it to act as the washer. The 'nut' will hold it in place.
That will strengthen the whole thing.
Geoff
Thanks guys for the input.
Geoff to be honest I can't visualize what you are talking about. :wtf:

I wandered around Home Depot looking for ideas for a cap for the top, but saw nothing that was larger than what's on there as the drain.
Still trying to figure best course for an opening up top although the idea of running the pipes through a large ferrule does make a lot of sense.
The good news is that by repeatedly shaking, I was able to pull two nickel to quarter size pieces of solder out of the thumper.
While I was doing that I happened to notice the rubber washer in the garden hose type cap. :problem:
Replaced that with a silicone disk.
It's been so long I'm going to do another vinegar run tomorrow.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

I have a similar issue, probably for the same reason. If you find an idea for a top side fill port post it, I'll do the same. Gotta be a way. :ewink:
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
DoubleJ
Bootlegger

Post by DoubleJ »

You can solder on a tri-clover/tri-clamp fitting. That's what I did with mine. My thumper is about 6 gallons so it was big enough to attach a 4" fitting on the top of it. I used a 4" so I could get my arm inside the thumper. I think I've got a picture on my phone. I'll post it if I can find it.
Seek to understand...
DoubleJ
Bootlegger

Post by DoubleJ »

Here it is.
Thumper.jpg
Seek to understand...
Monero Mustang
Novice

Post by Monero Mustang »

That's a beauty. I really like the fill port. That's going to serve you so well.