Keg Still Upgrades Question

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Zwright89
Novice

Keg Still Upgrades Question

Post by Zwright89 »

Morning all, Iv'e been doing some pokin around and I think I have the answer I want but I'd like someone to confirm that I'm going in the right direction.

Small back story: Bought a keg and the column that fitted directly to the sanke (spelling?) connection which is a 2" if I remember right. I've put about 10 runs through it so far and I'm always left feeling like it could be making better product. The way I see it I can cut the top and add a 6" dome that reduces into the condenser, making the column both wider and taller. or I can fashion another set of pipes and fittings and add a thumper to this bad boy. Added a pic for visual, any feedback is appreciated.

Side question, is there a better way to upload images on here that are larger than 500 KB? like imgur maybe?

Cheers
Attachments
Capture.PNG
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Keg Still Upgrades Question

Post by still_stirrin »

Zwright89 wrote:...I'm always left feeling like it could be making better product...
Ahhh...the trait of a true craftsman...and hobby distiller.
Zwright89 wrote:...The way I see it I can cut the top and add a 6" dome that reduces into the condenser, making the column both wider and taller. or I can fashion another set of pipes and fittings and add a thumper to this bad boy.
An expensive proposition for very little benefit (to the quality of your product). A large opening is handy for cleaning out a boiler, but if you have a good keg...why screw it up?

If you can TiG weld and you’ve got a few extra (hundred) dollars in your pocket, then a 6” ferrule and a 6”x2” bell reducer would work. But, on a 15 gallon keg a 2” opening works quite fine...no need to change.

A thumper would add some options for your simple potstill. You can add “stuff” to the thumper to increase flavors of the product at the spout. It also adds another plate which will increase the proof of the product.
Zwright89 wrote:...is there a better way to upload images on here that are larger than 500 KB? like imgur maybe?
Don’t do it.

Use the attachment tab at the bottom of the response entry block, near the “preview” and “submit” tabs. You’ll need to resize your image to 800x800 pixels maximum in order to submit. But that’s big enough to view.

Pictures hosted on external sites don’t sustain. And they can take us to places that aren’t “sanitary”...and bring virus exposure. Many, if not most members won’t follow external hosted links.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Zwright89
Novice

Post by Zwright89 »

Lol that trait feels like a curse sometimes.

Ok so thumper it is, thanks for the info ss
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Zwright89 wrote:
......Side question, is there a better way to upload images on here that are larger than 500 KB? like imgur maybe?

Cheers
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=66849