First build modular pot (finally)

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NEGaxSEGa
Novice

First build modular pot (finally)

Post by NEGaxSEGa »

Hey, y'all, I posted a long time ago, when I joined, about putting together my pot still. Turns out timing want great, and we've had other priorities these last few months.

That's allowed me to do 2 things, though:

1. I read until my eyes bled, then they healed, and I read until they bled some more. I bet there's not a topic in this board I haven't at least browsed, and there are whole subforums I've read from front to back.
2. I simplified and fine-tuned my plans.

I've got most of my fittings together. The still will be modular, with all steel tc fittings going into copper pipe. I don't plan to have a riser, at least to start. I may add it later, but I think I can get all my elevation to the flake stand with a lyne arm on a tc joint. The design below would let me adjust my rise or fall to a 25' x 1/2' coil and be modular enough to add and subtract parts later.

I think the main drawback to this design is that it makes all is reductions before the turn into the arm. Does anybody think that's a major flaw, or are there any modifications y'all would recommend?
download_20181011_134159.png
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: First build modular pot (finally)

Post by acfixer69 »

That looks like it will work fine but hope ya got a way to get it up high enough to collect at a comfortable height. Get started.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

From the plan, it would seem to look ok, except that I don't see a coupling/jointer for connecting the liebig.. a jointer will help in removing the liebig for storage or for cleaning..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

StillerBoy wrote:From the plan, it would seem to look ok, except that I don't see a coupling/jointer for connecting the liebig...a jointer will help in removing the liebig for storage or for cleaning...
NEGaxSEGa wrote:...The design below would let me adjust my rise or fall to a 25' x 1/2' coil...
Worm...
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NEGaxSEGa
Novice

Post by NEGaxSEGa »

acfixer69 wrote:That looks like it will work fine but hope ya got a way to get it up high enough to collect at a comfortable height. Get started.
Yep, got enough elevated workspace in the (well-ventilated) garage that from a seated position, I could collect close to eye level. I like the idea of being able to keep my burner on the floor, or put it up on blocks, and still collect wherever I want. With this design, I could even reverse it and collect downhill from my boiler.

Thanks for the encouragement. Always been a measure 50 times, cut once kind of guy.
NEGaxSEGa
Novice

Post by NEGaxSEGa »

While I'm waiting in a couple of specialty fittings to come in, I might as well make sure I have everything else in order so I can put this together.

I know I've seen it all over the forum, but this is the stuff for those pesky stainless to copper connections, right?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Ele ... /100672838" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Stay-Brite is good stuff..As stated a 3/4" copper to copper adapter at the elbow will allow for takeoff adjustment.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
NEGaxSEGa
Novice

Post by NEGaxSEGa »

MoonBreath wrote:Stay-Brite is good stuff..As stated a 3/4" copper to copper adapter at the elbow will allow for takeoff adjustment.
Where would that go? At the joint between lyne arm and worm?
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Barrel union like this https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Pi ... 5yc1vZbuv4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow between column and arm would make life easier :thumbup:
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
NEGaxSEGa
Novice

Post by NEGaxSEGa »

googe wrote:Barrel union like this https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Pi ... 5yc1vZbuv4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow between column and arm would make life easier :thumbup:
I see. I was thinking the tri clamp fitting right there should accomplish the same.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

NEGaxSEGa wrote:
googe wrote:Barrel union like this https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Pi ... 5yc1vZbuv4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow between column and arm would make life easier :thumbup:
I see. I was thinking the tri clamp fitting right there should accomplish the same.
Yep they all the same job.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"