Pot still column design

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chevyman
Novice

Pot still column design

Post by Chevyman »

Getting my ideas in order for a build. If a guy were to use a triclover clamp to join a 2" copper column to a keg and that column was about 18" tall would it be advisable to use a 2" 90 degree elbow followed directly by a 2" to 3/4" reducer? The plan would then go to a 6" long piece of 3/4" to a union that joins a 36" long 3/4 over 1/2 liebig to that section. Is that abrupt size change after a 90 likely to be a problem? Done lots of reading and haven't seen this addressed, apologies if my search skills have failed me.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Pot still column design

Post by still_stirrin »

It’ll work. There are many potstill heads very similar to your proposed configuration.

The vapor velocity in the riser will be slow, as the speed will be limited by the 3/4” line to the Liebig. But it will work.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

An oversized shotgun cooler may be better. The less reduction in the vapor path, the smaller the passive pressure build up before the bottle-neck. And its the bottle-necks that define total system performance.

To get from your upward riser to the downward cooling trajectory, use a gradually bent pipe rather than for instance two pieces of each dead-on 90 degree angles. For the same reason as above.

If you go oversized shotgun cooler, you need less space on the downward cooling trajectory. And you can do with a shorter riser. A shorter riser equals less energy losses and less passive reflux (drops falling/running back from your riser to your boiler), thus improving your overall system efficiency, translating to better control over cuts and slightly shorter run times.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Both ends can dictate/ manipulate flavor and speed.
I'd suggest most folks using 2" base would find the 3" is way faster and more flavorful.
More concentric.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

MoonBreath wrote:Both ends can dictate/ manipulate flavor and speed.
I'd suggest most folks using 2" base would find the 3" is way faster and more flavorful.
More concentric.
+1

The first pic is an example of a shorter 3" riser and gradually-bent still head into a 2" shotgun condenser. The objective of this design was to minimize the pressure buildup Odin referred to, which occurs whenever vapor encounters a reduction on tube diameter or a corner (hard 90* = higher resistance). I believe this pressure buildup, wherever it occurs within the vapor path, backs up to the boiler, upsetting the smooth, gradual phase change of the boiler constituents, creating smearing, prior to exiting the boiler. This vapor pressure can be mitigated through power management, resulting in a reduction of takeoff speed.

If I ever get around to it, I would like to have a buddy with a metal spinning shop try to smooth out a standard 3x2" reducer to look like pic #2.
Attachments
standard 3 x 2" reducer
standard 3 x 2" reducer
'modified' reducer
'modified' reducer
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Not sure how old you are, but planning for all of your elevations based on a counter top collection height is more helpful than not,,,when you're old.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Chevyman
Novice

Post by Chevyman »

Thank you very much for all the information and insight. To address some of the back story, it's my first rig. I am a very casual user when it comes to hobbies, i.e. I enjoy many and can't commit to just one. That leaves me with enough time to keep it very simple when I begin a new one. I plan to try and use this thing about 4 times a year max so I'm willing to sacrifice some time running it for a simpler construction. It'll be used solely for cider or corn washes and I may never do any redistillation as I'm quite content with a lower abv. The liebig looks like something I can easily tackle and keep satisfied with for a while. The simplicity of rigs like that is what brought me here. Thank you all so much. I'll post some pics when complete.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Chevyman wrote:It'll be used solely for cider or corn washes and I may never do any redistillation as I'm quite content with a lower abv.
You would also have to be content with the inferior flavors from a single run.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

You'll prolly be the only person drinkn the singlins...
Won't be strong enough for most...Also lots of ferment flavors carry over there that are not whiskey like.
Very mediocre at best.
Chevyman
Novice

Post by Chevyman »

I guess I'm surprised to hear that. Not saying you are wrong just surprised. I've had several quarts of corn mash from a friend's similar pot still that were singlins and they were enjoyed by myself and others. I guess there is probably a reason why everyone redistills. I must have an inferior palate! :)
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Not sayn it can't be done..Older threads talk about folks liken singlins, also Usge talkn about gettn 130proof on a single run,
but I couldn't do it with a simple pot still...Have to really do it slow and be a good wash, but try throwin that singlin in with some fresh wash and run it.
Be gooood then for ya. :D
2 runs instead of 3.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Many years I've only done four runs. One ferment, three stripping runs and a spirit run, a weekend of hard out distilling producing plenty of fine product, then the still broken down and stored for a year.