Jonny's Tumper

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jonny's Tumper

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Hi! I've had a 13g stainless milk jug potstill for about 2yrs now. I've had a great time making various spirits and want to increase my capacity a little so I can maybe fill a 5g barrel on a single spirit run, and also strip on grain.

I have ordered a 16g copper milk can boiler so I am planning to put together parts to use this as a boiler thumper combo.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Jonny's Tumper

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Here’s the new boiler. Pretty cool. It has two heater element ports, one drain port, a boiler thermometer port, an extra 3” fill port and the mouth is an 8” milk can with a 3” triclamp for whatever column. I’ll start a simple corn mash this weekend for the sac run and vinegar it in the meantime so i can start using it now.

For thumper operation it looks like Otis’ has the connectivity plan so I’m heading that route except I think I’ll use a 2” vapor tube feeding into the thumper and a 2” vapor tube out of the thumper to triclamp to my existing liebig. The Thumper head will be on a 3” triclamp and 3”x2”x2” tee.
D0DFDA7D-EBE8-4BA3-A4B5-09D34B5DF82D.jpeg
————
————
Samyguy
Bootlegger

Post by Samyguy »

OMG!!! that is pretty, how much for that piece of art?
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

This one had a slight dent so got it with a little discount. After cleaning protocol I've run this through a couple AG strips and a spirit run. I just have one 5k5W heater element in it now but may bump it to a couple elements since it has two ports. Quicker heat-up would be appreciated. The 16 gallon ones run 569.- @MileHi but I think I got this one for just under $400. The dent is hardly noticeable. They've been out of stock for a while so stay in touch with them for shipping dates if you're interested.

I still haven't ordered the copper parts to incorporate the 13gallon stainless milk can as a thumper but eventually I will...

One thing to note for me - Going from a 13g boiler to a 16g boiler is not a huge expansion but it does change all of my mash and ferment quantities that I've worked out so well over the past period of time.

I'd certainly recommend this boiler - even if it is a little pricey - well worth it IMO.

Cheers,
jonny
————
————
SAS777
Novice

Post by SAS777 »

I’m jealous!

You have done exactly what I have been wanting to do.
I too have a 13ga SS milk can boiler from MIle High and a 3ga boiler that use as a thumper most of the time.

I was going to buy one last spring around the same time you bought yours, but they were out of stock. I’m still waiting.

Do you have your setup completed?
If so, I would love to see pictures of it.

Beautiful boiler!!