Did I get the wrong still?

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nevil
Novice

Did I get the wrong still?

Post by nevil »

I just joined this week and was warmly welcomed in my newbie post. I've never distilled before (brewed some beer many years ago) and for Father's Day got a pot still from my sons. One of the reasons I signed up here was to find out how to operate it. It's a stainless Chinese pot still and from the info I got from this forum it's not too well regarded. So before I get it ready to use and am no longer able to return it I'm trying to get some opinions on a decent unit that won't break the bank.
TIA
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Did I get the wrong still?

Post by 8Ball »

I’m sure there are better options, but a copper pot kit from Clawhammer does a good job for me with whiskies and rum. You just have to make the condenser longer. Keep reading and you will figure it out.

8B
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

What types of products you want to make? That may have a bearing on what type of still you need.
CuWhistle
Rumrunner

Post by CuWhistle »

Just yesterday I read a thread on the still you have. A guy was following recommendations to remodel it using different gaskets etc. He gave up on it as a non-goer. I'll try to find that thread and post the link.

Actually you were given the link already.
decoy
Rumrunner

Post by decoy »

I think this is the still he bought.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=74934&p=7566701#p7566701

The still it self as a pot still looks ok, I have seen many less flattering, however it will work but it will be tedious and may discourage you from distilling.
The output to the condenser looks like a 1" or 3/4" triclova ferule so you would be able to make/add a reflux column like the 2" Bokakob to do neutral.
main criticism is its size, what is it a 5-10L?

If you have some fabrication skill or have a mate who can do a bit of plumbing you will be back on track for very little outlay, also many ideas on the forum to take a look at..
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

I wouldn't use that still as is for sure. I'd return it and get one from brewhaus or milehi or still Dragon or if that's too expensiveTake a look at distillarus store or distillex they have some pretty decent deals on pots and basic columns.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

All good advise to follow if you want, or.. build one your self.. People mean well when giving, but, not so much in this case..

A 3 - 4 gal ss soup pot, a short piece of 1.5" dwv copper pipe will be the most expensive part of the built.. if short on fund, check out yard sales, used secondhand stores, or ask around for a used pot ( I find them for a few bucks)..

And all the instructions for building are on this forum..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Nevil, Brewhaus has a sale on their stills right now.
Here's the one I have (8-gallon): Brewhaus Pro Series II
$109.00 OFF
diktater
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by diktater »

i started with the same one, given as a gift as well. i made a teflon gasket and plugged the holes in the lid with cork. worked well enough to learn the basics till i was able to build my ccvm. i still use the pot and lid for my gin macerations. with an 1 1/2”-2” tri clamp fitting and elbow i can clamp my condenser to it as well. that lil worm is useless.
decoy
Rumrunner

Post by decoy »

fizzix wrote:Nevil, Brewhaus has a sale on their stills right now.
$109.00 OFF
If you get this still upgrade to the 15gal boiler for the extra few $$$

As suggested above the boiler or pot will be your most expensive outlay, unless you can scrounge something, however I would at least go for a 100% copper column with copper packing, you can make this yourself for a very low outlay.
nevil
Novice

Post by nevil »

diktater wrote:i started with the same one, given as a gift as well. i made a teflon gasket and plugged the holes in the lid with cork. worked well enough to learn the basics till i was able to build my ccvm. i still use the pot and lid for my gin macerations. with an 1 1/2”-2” tri clamp fitting and elbow i can clamp my condenser to it as well. that lil worm is useless.
I've been looking for sources for other gaskets, can you tell me where you got yours?
nevil
Novice

Post by nevil »

decoy wrote:
fizzix wrote:Nevil, Brewhaus has a sale on their stills right now.
$109.00 OFF
If you get this still upgrade to the 15gal boiler for the extra few $$$

As suggested above the boiler or pot will be your most expensive outlay, unless you can scrounge something, however I would at least go for a 100% copper column with copper packing, you can make this yourself for a very low outlay.
Thanks for the info. Looks tempting.
nevil
Novice

Post by nevil »

NZChris wrote:What types of products you want to make? That may have a bearing on what type of still you need.
I would be looking to make bourbon and/or rum.
nevil
Novice

Post by nevil »

For some reason I haven't been getting email notifications on replies to this post. Oddly, I got a notice on the first reply and then nothing after that, so I assumed there were no more replies. Then I checked the site and saw the replies. I'm trying to figure out the problem, which is why I'm late in responding to you all.
Happy Fourth of July to everyone!
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Check to see that you are subscribed to topic
nevil
Novice

Post by nevil »

acfixer69 wrote:Check to see that you are subscribed to topic
Thanks. I am subscribed, and I got the notice on your post. Somehow the system missed the 6 or so between yours and the first one.
diktater
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by diktater »

nevil wrote:
diktater wrote:i started with the same one, given as a gift as well. i made a teflon gasket and plugged the holes in the lid with cork. worked well enough to learn the basics till i was able to build my ccvm. i still use the pot and lid for my gin macerations. with an 1 1/2”-2” tri clamp fitting and elbow i can clamp my condenser to it as well. that lil worm is useless.
I've been looking for sources for other gaskets, can you tell me where you got yours?
i just wrapped the top of the pot and the edge of the lid with teflon tape. it takes a shit ton to get it good but its
cheap and effective. i imagine you could just open up the stock gasket and wrap it real good with the teflon tape as well.