Copper Cap

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

scmoose
Novice

Copper Cap

Post by scmoose »

Does anyone make a copper cap and arm the will connect to a beer keg using a tri clamp? Looking for something that taper up from the where it would clamp to the keg up, then have an arm coming out of it. I am picturing this into a mason jar thumper / gin basket then into the worm. I built a slant plate column years ago that has since been passed on, now entertaining the idea of something else that doesn't take all day to run off up to a few quarts or a gallon.
kep cap.png
kep cap.png (66.13 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Copper Cap

Post by pope »

If you're going to go to the trouble of making one of these, you might as well weld on a larger diameter triclamp ferrule to the keg, and ditch the 2" stem. Or flip the keg over and weld (or have welded) a fitting to the bottom and use the other side for a drain if you're running electric.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
scmoose
Novice

Post by scmoose »

I hadn’t planned on making the cap, I was hoping I could buy one that would clamp onto the keg?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I have a heavy copper fire extinguisher shell.
One day I will fit a four inch ferrule to the bottom and a two inch ferrule to the top; and clamp the bottom to my boiler.
I had hoped to have it done a while back but have been waiting for COPPER ferrules to become available...

And I have another that was damaged close to the top (I think they took a hatchet to it when it was decommissioned) so I cut off the damaged part and I would like to make a cap for it... Maybe..
(It cost me five dollars.)

Geoff
The Baker
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

What will the cap achieve on a hobby scale still that a normal 2 or 3 inch pot still wont do. Wouldn't it be easier to just build something yourself ?
Mason Jar / Glass thumpers will draw you plenty of flack around here.
The Baker wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:51 pm but have been waiting for COPPER ferrules to become available...
Copper ferrules have been available for ages, Empty Glass has been manufacturing and selling them for yonks , why don't you just contact him.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Thanks, Saltbush,
I have been looking up emptyglass's website every day, as he advised, for months, but the copper ferrules have been always out of stock.
Still watching and waiting.

Geoff
The Baker
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Victoria, Australia.Usually the shed. Sometimes the cellar.

Post by emptyglass »

Its taken a while but they are back in stock.
You design it, I make it. Copper and Stainless. Down under. PM me.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Is there some reason you actually want this type of cap?
It's not an ideal design for spirits but for building from copper sheets.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
scmoose
Novice

Post by scmoose »

cayars wrote:Is there some reason you actually want this type of cap?
It's not an ideal design for spirits but for building from copper sheets.

I guess I just got used to seeing this type of head on older type stills and thought that was the way I wanted to go if I decided to build another one. I’ve since moved to a 2” pot still idea.
Last edited by acfixer69 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unwanted advertisment
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

emptyglass wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:08 am Its taken a while but they are back in stock.
Hallelujah.
I'll be on the website tomorrow.
I've been away again for a few days so I hope they are still available!

Geoff
The Baker