Looking for Highest Proof

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mashmaker62
Novice

Looking for Highest Proof

Post by Mashmaker62 »

In this time of anxiety over the Coronavirus, I’m looking for the best way to achieve the highest proof possible. I work for a company that is considered “essential to the community”. We are having trouble acquiring hand sanitizer for the workforce and I have offered to donate some ethanol to the cause for making our own hand sanitizer with glycerin or aloe vera gel.

My issue is this: Over the winter I reworked my system and added a thump keg. I did a vinegar/water cleaning run through the system last weekend, but that’s as far as my thumper experience goes.

I have produced some 180+ proof liquor before by packing my column and running nice and slow, but I’m curious if running through the thumper would give me any advantages.

I know there is a lot of knowledge and experience in this group, so I thought I would use that rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. Any help would be appreciated!
Last edited by acfixer69 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed advertisement
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Looking for Highest Proof

Post by still_stirrin »

Two words: reflux column. To get the highest proof offstill, you’ll need reflux. A reflux condenser atop a packing stuffed column will create many reflux distillations which is necessary to produce the purest ethanol.

And turn off the Tapatalk signature. It is not needed here.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

As still_stirrin replies, a reflux column.
I would have some reservations about volunteering my services in this capacity. It might be cool right now, but later a "friend" turned enemy might turn you in for the illegal activity. With the exception of a few close friends, nobody knows what the hell I am doing over here.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

I tend to agree w/ V-Child. You are potentially exposing yourself. But, I worry more about this than some. You could give them a couple handles of Everdlear and then refill those bottles with your neutral as needed, if this concerns you.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I do not have a reflux column, but I used a packed column some time ago and I agree with still stirring that a thumper will be of no advance. You could put a column on top of the thumper, but that would be more difficult to manage than a column on your boiler. A thumper can give you a high proof product, but it behaves more like two pot stills in a row than like a column.
And I guess 180 proof is strong enough, is it not?

But I also agree with v-child and GCB3: it is not wise to expose yourself so clearly. Rather find a way to disguise the origin of your alcohol. Like a proxy-server when you want to surf the internet anonimously.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It only needs to be high enough to achieve your target abv when you have added the other ingredients, any higher and you have to add water. Use a calculator to work out what you need.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

I'm with still_sturin reflux column is the only way.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Double pot distillation will only get you bout 85% at the front end reflux is the only way u gonna break into the 90s do a lil research brother
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Act like you wanna be a member and feed yourself spoonfeeding is frowned upon
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Mashmaker62
Novice

Post by Mashmaker62 »

Thanks all, for the insight. Just to clarify, only one person is aware of this offer, the general manager of the building, who I have known for almost 30 years. It may have read like I stood in front of a company meeting and made the offer, but that was not the case. I appreciate your concern.

I’m well aware of what my reflux column is capable of. I was merely trying to glean some group knowledge on the thumper, which I have zero experience with and limited knowledge of.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Decide on the abv you want in the sanitizer, then use a calculator to work out if you can get it using your current setup.

Using the amount of H2O2 and glycerine recommended in one of the WHO recipes, I calculate that 80% abv spirit should give you 75.5% abv hand sanitizer. How high do you want? What abv have you got already?
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

I think stacking your reflux taller is your best bet, not sure if time/budget/materials permit. Tell us more about your reflux column and we can suggest some mods.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
Mashmaker62
Novice

Post by Mashmaker62 »

NZChris, I’m shooting for 67% alcohol content, just for easy 1/3 2/3 calculations. CV dies above 60%, so I’ll have a built in margin of comfort. No offense, but I know how to get to that number.

I was just hoping to do the sacrificial first run through the thumper while not wasting the output if I could (I’m dying to take that baby for a spin)! I have some foreshots that I can re-run for that though, so it’s no big deal. Just trying to kill two birds with one stone. I’m going to pack the column in the morning and then ride the reflux pony to the finish line.
Mashmaker62
Novice

Post by Mashmaker62 »

Pope, it’s 2” copper, 36” tall. I pack it with glass marbles and run it slow. Has given me a pretty consistent 180-185 when that’s what I was looking for.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Mashmaker62 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:15 pm Pope, it’s 2” copper, 36” tall. I pack it with glass marbles and run it slow. Has given me a pretty consistent 180-185 when that’s what I was looking for.

Since you need 67% alcohol content for sanitizer.
I'd run the still as normal
Leave a proof and tralle hydrometer in the collection bucket so you'll know when the total ABV hits 67%
Save the rest of the run for feints
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

My thinking is that although you can pull , 67% off a still, it will have a lot of tails in it . People might start asking questions about why the hand sanitiser is leaving their hands stinky .

If you are gonna do it , use a reflux still and cut the stinky stuff out . .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Good point Yummy, nothing brings out the stink of tails like rubbing them vigorously onto your hands.
Last edited by Saltbush Bill on Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

I was just in almost the same situation. I refluxed some old stuff that didn't work out the way I'd wanted it to an average of 88%, then followed the directions at http://letsmakesomesanitizer.com/ to turn it into sanitizer.

Somewhat counter-intuitively you don't want the sanitizer to be too high in alcohol content, so 60-80% is totally fine. The stuff I made stinks a bit, but once it's evaporated, it's fine. I also didn't use the tails portion, just the heads and hearts, but I didn't make any cuts between them.
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
Mashmaker62
Novice

Post by Mashmaker62 »

Windswept, how was the consistency of your sanitizer? I tried mixing my alcohol with aloe vera gel and it came out very thin, not even what I would call a gel. I’m thinking of trying it with the recipe in your link to get more of a gel.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Most sanatizers ive seen are not a gel.....they are much thinner than that.
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

Mashmaker62 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:58 am Windswept, how was the consistency of your sanitizer? I tried mixing my alcohol with aloe vera gel and it came out very thin, not even what I would call a gel. I’m thinking of trying it with the recipe in your link to get more of a gel.
Very much a liquid, I made about 4L of it, and I added ~140ml of peroxide and ~45ml of glycerin. This stuff isn’t supposed to be thick, but it works!
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

XXXX
If it won't so it wouldn't be.

So I'm tole
42shine
Novice

Post by 42shine »

I've added some eucalyptus oil to my sanitizer to make it smell nicer. Pretty much any essential oil will do I assume.
What is to give light must endure burning
- Viktor Frankl
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Windswept wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:05 pm
Mashmaker62 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:58 am Windswept, how was the consistency of your sanitizer? I tried mixing my alcohol with aloe vera gel and it came out very thin, not even what I would call a gel. I’m thinking of trying it with the recipe in your link to get more of a gel.
Very much a liquid, I made about 4L of it, and I added ~140ml of peroxide and ~45ml of glycerin. This stuff isn’t supposed to be thick, but it works!
What was the alcohol percentage, windswept?

Geoff
The Baker
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

If you can't reflux and don't have the needed Ethanol but do have the Hydrogen Peroxide and Glycerol you could go the liquor store and purchase a 1.75 liter bottle of 190 proof grain alcohol like Everclear 190.

1.75 Liters Everclear 190
87 ml of Hydrogen Peroxide (3%)
30 ml of Glycerol
0.212 l of sterile water.
That will make 2.08 liters of sanitizer.

That's enough to fill:
50 ml - 41.6 bottles
4 oz - 17.6
250 ml - 8.3 bottles
8 oz - 8.8 bottles

While expensive this is the best use I've found for Everclear 190 as it taste's like shit. :)

My local pharmacy has 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, 32 OZ in stock for $2.59. That's just a tad over $10 a gallon this way which is much cheaper.
This is part of the WHO formula as well instead of using Ethanol and will be a lot cheaper if you can find it locally. Many stores are getting stock back in.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

The Baker wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:46 pm
Windswept wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:05 pm
What was the alcohol percentage, windswept?

Geoff
Starting was 88% I believe, I don't have my notes handy. The goal was 80%, but I didn't verify it
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Thanks, Windswept.

Geoff
The Baker
edwardhopps
Novice

Post by edwardhopps »

I know this thread is old, but I'd like to add my $.02 for those curious about small batch sanitizer runs

I've been using straight sugar wash and a cheap bulk turbo... don't even boil it. I add 20-22# of plain cane sugar to a 10 gallon pot, and fill with water using a garden hose with the wide spray setting, this really aerates the crap outta it and has the yeast bangin' off in no time. I stir until clear, pitch 1/2 cup yeast, put a lid on, put a 10# weight on the lid and let it go a few days. Yes, that's right... no heating/boiling, 3:1 sugar/water will dissolve at my current ambient outdoor temperatures. OG 'round 1.13-1.135, final about 1.05 in 3-4 days when I cook. In an 8 gal milker with 2" SS 20" reflux column (novice regulated) I'm running about 1 1/2 gallons at a consistent 68-70%. It's about as effortless as this hobby gets.
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

edwardhopps wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:21 pm In an 8 gal milker with 2" SS 20" reflux column (novice regulated) I'm running about 1 1/2 gallons at a consistent 68-70%. It's about as effortless as this hobby gets.
With a reflux column out of a high-proof turbo wash you should probably be getting more proof than that. The hearts in my spirit runs are ~70%, and that's only 2 distillations. I'd have thought any self-respecting reflux column should have more internal distillations (HETP height-equivalent theoretical plates) than two... There might be something off with your reflux management. What sort of reflux column is it?

I have enough foreshots and stinky heads at >70% from my everyday rum and UJ-style washes at the moment that I've even been using it at work for disinfecting the surfaces.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
edwardhopps
Novice

Post by edwardhopps »

MartinCash wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:34 pm
edwardhopps wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:21 pm In an 8 gal milker with 2" SS 20" reflux column (novice regulated) I'm running about 1 1/2 gallons at a consistent 68-70%. It's about as effortless as this hobby gets.
With a reflux column out of a high-proof turbo wash you should probably be getting more proof than that. The hearts in my spirit runs are ~70%, and

Oh absolutely, but a couple of things... after growing tired of mixing it down, I discovered the crude point at which I collect the proof I want for sanitizer solution. Second, WHISKEY takes all the shakes of resources (time, space, ingredients, effort, attention, family understandings, etc) I may not currently have at my disposal, and therefore can't produce large volumes of foreshot/head discards for such uses. I'm finding it a bit of a therapy to just pound something out in between times I can put efforts into crafting drinkable spirits given my current schedules, and as a past avid homebrewer am relishing in the intentional delinquency of sanitation of every frikkin' thing with no ramifications :)

As well, the specs of the column are mentioned above, and I'm still fine tuning the condensers for other neutral spirit endeavors.