Mile High Thumper connection

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stig
Novice

Mile High Thumper connection

Post by Stig »

I ordered and received a small milk can pot still/thumper a few months ago. My existing column has a barbed output and the new thumper has a barbed input. I tried asking them and they were not much help. How do i connect these? Both are at an angle. I can't just use hose and clamps can i? should i be adding a small triclamp to both sides? Or is there a solution that will be more flexible?
Durhommer
Distiller

Re: Mile High Thumper connection

Post by Durhommer »

Stig picture would be nice so members could help you a little better
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Stig
Novice

Post by Stig »

Here is the ends of my keg still condenser (barbed) and the inlet to the milk can thumper (smooth). I can tig weld anything on these. guessing if i just put on a small triband clamp it will be hard to get them at the right levels so there is no pressure on the clamp. Can i just use hose with clamps? The thumper has a ten pound pressure blowoff. Second picture is wider view of both units.
IMG_5846.jpg
IMG_5847.jpg
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Hose is not an option here so that is a bad design. Profit over safety.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Get a stainless steel union welded on there they fd everyone who bought that crap
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Swedge some copper over it and connect. WTF selling that is so sleezy.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Those tubes look small.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Stig
Novice

Post by Stig »

Great. When i asked them about it they said it was made to fit "their" stills. Maybe it fits inside of their condenser or something. OK i will tig in a union. Nothing like a flex pipe with 2 unions out there is there? Thanks for the expertise. I was at a loss when i got it.
Stig
Novice

Post by Stig »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:30 pm Those tubes look small.
Not sure of the size but want to say 1/4 inch. I've had the keg condenser for years. Thought i could add to it easy enough. Guess not.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Seems like there plan is for you to worm clamp hose them together. Even if you found and used ptfe tubing, at 1/4” that seems like poor manufacturing. Not your fault, but that is a crap setup IMHO.

There are triclamps on top of the milk cans.
Personally, I’d make up new 1/2” copper plumbing for connecting the milk cans and to hook up your condenser.

I no nothing about mike high, but sure seems crappy that they won’t help you. Or that they sold you two pieces that can’t be hooked together.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

I'm confused. Your first picture and comment about the barbed end makes it sound like you are trying to connect your product condensor to your thumper inlet. That would be wrong (unless you planned on not running water through it). Your second picture shows a product condensor on the thumper, and what looks like a second head with dephlagmator and another product condensor (ie a reflux head). Do you have a separate pot still head? Does not look like the PC on the reflux head is removable. In that case its a dedicated reflux still and not intended to have a thumper added.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

I've noticed the same thing. But without coolant trough that dephlegmator and pc it should work.

But i don't see a tube that runs to the bottom of the thumper either?

If you have a tig and fabrication skills I'd seriously consider making something better.
Stig
Novice

Post by Stig »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:57 pm Seems like there plan is for you to worm clamp hose them together. Even if you found and used ptfe tubing, at 1/4” that seems like poor manufacturing. Not your fault, but that is a crap setup IMHO.

There are triclamps on top of the milk cans.
Personally, I’d make up new 1/2” copper plumbing for connecting the milk cans and to hook up your condenser.

I no nothing about mike high, but sure seems crappy that they won’t help you. Or that they sold you two pieces that can’t be hooked together.
Just one clarification. The thumper is their in house product and the still head i bought years ago from them but a chinese import. I still would have appreciated some help from them though.
Stig
Novice

Post by Stig »

Tummydoc wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:15 pm I'm confused. Your first picture and comment about the barbed end makes it sound like you are trying to connect your product condensor to your thumper inlet. That would be wrong (unless you planned on not running water through it). Your second picture shows a product condensor on the thumper, and what looks like a second head with dephlagmator and another product condensor (ie a reflux head). Do you have a separate pot still head? Does not look like the PC on the reflux head is removable. In that case its a dedicated reflux still and not intended to have a thumper added.
I currently have a keg with the pictured barbed reflux head. I can change the lines to run it as a reflux or a pot still. It works ok on both although i'm gathering a larger tower would always be better. I had intended to not run water through it at all when i connected the thumper. So the steamed product goes right into the thumper. Honestly not sure if its too long or skinny to do this well? Are you saying because i cannot remove the PC there is not enough room ?
The thumper inlet does go to the bottom of the thumper and it does have a water cooled condenser.
Should i be getting a head like this one if i want to run a thumper? Do i need this or is it just better? https://moonshinedistiller.com/distilla ... t-still-3/
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

It would work as long as you're not cooling that condenser. This forum does not endorse silicone tubing as a connection in a vapor path. So you would either have to tig small triclamp connections to both ends, or find a copper/brass union to solder on. It's like trying to filet a fish with a butter knife. Its not the right tool, there might be work arounds, but won't be pretty. If the boiler and thumper lids have 2 inch triclamp connections you could make your own easily with modular parts.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Stig the union or fab up your own 2 inch and 1.5inch lines the ferrules are easily purchased on ebay and as for the pipe use copper type m from a plumbing supply near you itll be pricey but worth it
Stig
Novice

Post by Stig »

Thanks guys i will take a look at the connections and go that route. I didnt want to ruin my reflux head so making a new connection sounds like the answer. Is there any recommendation for head height off the still before it goes over to the thumper?
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Height wont matter.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

What he said but that dont mean you have to have a tall section there for nothing use the section of 2inch that's left to make a shotgun condenser after you figure yer run and rise between thump keg and still you will be happy with the shotty
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

Still 006 (Custom).JPG
All the ends on my Mile Hi stuff have Tri-clamp fittings. I can run my setup as a plain old Pot still, with or without the Thumper in the line. I can just hook my Condenser directly to my Lyne Arm coming off the boiler, or hook the condenser to the outflow of the Thumper.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Something like this will work for your thumper.
Similar for your boiler riser.
Then just some finaglery to connect them.

Finally, a way to connect your existing condenser, or just solder up a new one, and you will be all set.

On the bright side, I like the milk cans. What do they use for a seal?
8020C198-EBA7-42E3-A18E-BF41B2E5F954.jpeg
Stig
Novice

Post by Stig »

Euphoria wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:46 am Still 006 (Custom).JPGAll the ends on my Mile Hi stuff have Tri-clamp fittings. I can run my setup as a plain old Pot still, with or without the Thumper in the line. I can just hook my Condenser directly to my Lyne Arm coming off the boiler, or hook the condenser to the outflow of the Thumper.
Did your thumper inlet pipe have a triclamp fitting?
Stig
Novice

Post by Stig »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:59 am Something like this will work for your thumper.
Similar for your boiler riser.
Then just some finaglery to connect them.

Finally, a way to connect your existing condenser, or just solder up a new one, and you will be all set.

On the bright side, I like the milk cans. What do they use for a seal?

8020C198-EBA7-42E3-A18E-BF41B2E5F954.jpeg
Mine has a flat rubber gasket (not sure name). That picture is what mine looks like. It sure is pretty just not really functional yet.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

[/quote]Did your thumper inlet pipe have a tri-clamp fitting?[/quote]

Yes, all my components, including both the inlet and outlet lines on the Thumper lid, have tri-clamp fittings. Only lines that don't have tri-clamp fittings are my cooling water hose connections, which I equipped with barbed stainless steel quick disconnect hose fittings to facilitate setup and breakdown for cleaning. The Thumper lid's pipe ends use standard two piece 1" tri-clamps, (which also fit any 3/4" tri-clamp pipe fitting s as well.)

Mine looks just like this one.
https://milehidistilling.com/product/3- ... 16-gallon/
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

You can try some copper pipe to connect them.
A snug fit and flour paste might work.
Just thinking out loud.
Making your own head and adding triclamps for either a condenser or thumper seems the best route to me though.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Right Corsaire, quick fix woud be flour paste!