Clawhammer Modifications

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CoonBone
Novice

Clawhammer Modifications

Post by CoonBone »

Hey, I’m new to the forum but have done tons of reading thus far. I have a 10gal. Clawhammer pot and have some ?’s about some ideas I’m throwing around. First being, could you wind a coil around the top few inches of the column and pump water through it post condenser (maybe T the output and add a couple valves to adjust flow) to gain some reflux action (column height may make this impossible anyway?) as I can’t see the copper packing they recommend having much use after they get up to temp (maybe some very passive reflux at best idk) I’m not looking to make a neutral spirit just increase proof a little. I don’t have much experience and these are just things going through my head so I could be totally off point.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Clawhammer Modifications

Post by StillerBoy »

A picture of the column would be of assistance in helping out..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Its a copper pot still with a 1.5 inch riser, about 8-10 inches long as i recall. An external coil has been done on other stills and works some, but not the most efficient. You are correct that the copper packing doesn't add much without reflux. They are misleading in their advertising.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

D99E7B3F-6166-4FD4-84C6-175EFFD25C91.png
Is this it?

I’d suggest doing 1.5 runs —> a strip (low wines) added back to fresh wash for the 2nd run to boost proof off the spout while retaining as much flavor as possible.

That still doesn’t add much, if any, reflux. So, just do 1.5 or double distillations (strip + spirit runs).
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I might add, for the 1.5 run protocol, you’ll need at least 1-1/2 boiler charges worth of ferment. And for the 2X protocol, it’s best to ferment 3 boiler charges worth, that is - enough wash to run 3 strips followed by a final spirit run.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

How thick or thin is that copper still
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
CoonBone
Novice

Post by CoonBone »

I’ve just lightly cleaned the outside so it’s not super clean yet. I put the little union fitting in when I built it so I could add a thumper and/or different condenser later on if I decided to. It could also allow you to set whatever angle you want on the condenser (the 45 at the bottom probably would need to be changed If you wanted to do this much). It’s 16oz Copper except for the bottom of the boiler and plate where the column attaches, those are a little thicker. I’m not sure what they are but could notice a difference when I was building it. The tubing and fittings aren’t 16oz either. The column is pretty thick and .5” stuff is the cheaper kind when you go to the hardware store from what I can tell. I’m totally happy with it though as far as materials. If I cut it out myself I’d go a little thicker on the boiler because it you drop it or something it would probably dent it. Oh yeah, the column itself is 20”. The stripping/spirit run is how I’m going to start off then I might add one just to see if it does anything to justify it being there. I’m too new to know what to expect.

Column
Column
Column and Pot
Column and Pot
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I have a 5G Clawhammer. I added 24 inches of Liebig to it. I also added a copper tube brace between the condenser and column for stability when removing from the boiler. I use one scrubber only at the bottom of the column. If you strip and spirit, then you will have no problem gettin good product at aging strength. Once you have it figured out, running it is pretty smooth. Just takes time and practice.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
CoonBone
Novice

Post by CoonBone »

Yeah, I can see why the brace would be helpful.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

CoonBone wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:08 am Yeah, I can see why the brace would be helpful.
Without it the solder joint at the bottom of the column will fail. It also provides support for additional Liebig. If you add on using a 45-degree fitting, you will have a win-win result: improved cooling and a SAFER operation by increasing the distance between the drip and open flames if using propane. I tie off the top of the condenser with para cord to support the added weight of the second Liebig as well.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”