New Keg Made for my Brother

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ER70S-2
Novice

New Keg Made for my Brother

Post by ER70S-2 »

I haven't been on much lately with work but have been happily pursuing making alcohol and things are going well. I made a keg set up for my brother and will make another for myself this fall. I'll attach some pics and short description.
I made it so that I can leave it set up on the burner. The condenser (not shown) has it's own stand and is attached by a union so that it comes off easily it's a 36" (Leibig). It's drained via the 1" ball valve on the bottom. The ball valve is stainless and shouldn't affect the mash, I can't think of the material used inside off the top of my head now but it is for a harsh chemical environments. I made a seperate filler neck so that I can add more mash as i go without having to take the column off. I just fill the keg with water and drain it clean it out at the end of the run.
I welded a half coupling onto the original center , used a nipple in-between (saw that on here)and welded another half coupling directly to the 2.5" copper tube. All my couplings are fused welded inside the couplings to prevent bacteria getting into any crevices, then the keg is purged with argon and the couplings are welded from the outside. The purging prevents the stainless from oxidizing. If it does oxidize it creates a black "sugar" on the drop thru side of the weld which can allow bacteria to grow.
The keg works well and i'll start on mine in October, just thought I's share a few picks of it in process while building.
Regards
Er70S-2
Attachments
keg ss coupling to 2.5 copper.JPG
keg ss coupling to 2.5 copper.JPG (29.23 KiB) Viewed 5886 times
Keg Drain with coup.JPG
Keg Drain with coup.JPG (26.22 KiB) Viewed 5885 times
Keg Fillerr Tube.JPG
Keg Fillerr Tube.JPG (27.71 KiB) Viewed 5881 times
Keg Tig Inside.JPG
Keg Tig Inside.JPG (18.04 KiB) Viewed 5875 times
Keg Hole Saw.JPG
Keg Hole Saw.JPG (26.67 KiB) Viewed 5869 times
ER70S-2
Novice

Re: New Keg Made for my Brother

Post by ER70S-2 »

here's the last pics
Regards
ER70S-2
Attachments
Keg Filler Cap.JPG
Keg Filler Cap.JPG (29.85 KiB) Viewed 5870 times
Keg ready.JPG
Keg ready.JPG (32.56 KiB) Viewed 5854 times
Keg Set up complete.JPG
Keg Set up complete.JPG (28.81 KiB) Viewed 5835 times
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Very nice work.
Not sure I'd give it to your brother, unless you have improvements for the next one. :lol: :lol: :lol: :evil:
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
StabbyJoe
Swill Maker

Post by StabbyJoe »

Excellent stuff. I'd love to join the queue after your brother :lol:

Seriously, though... great work. Sounds like you know what you're doing a hell of a lot better than I do in regards to metal work... Good idea on the argon purge, too... it would have sterilised the keg for you pretty well, too. Not many greeblies that can stand an environment like that, I'd imagine.

When you say drained by a ball valve... That rings a few alarm bells in my head... most pot stills have a condenser with the output end permanently open so air can go in and distillate can come out... avoids backpressure a bit. I could be misunderstanding your rig but you shouldn't close the takeoff in a pot still. That's acceptable in a reflux because air can come and go through the top of a reflux column so there's no pressure risk.

For once I hope I misunderstood something...
Very high quality on the joins there, and good work all around, except for that one thing...
Rudi
Rumrunner

Post by Rudi »

Beautiful metal work! I'm pretty sure you mean the keg is drained by the ball valve? Thats a noice three peice stainless valve too! Something like that boiler will last lifetimes.
Such is life
StabbyJoe
Swill Maker

Post by StabbyJoe »

My bad. Keg draining through the valve makes way more sense. In that case I'd say your work is flawless. Great build.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Bewdiful!

Wish I had put a refill port on the top of my boiler. Very useful.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
dan_pilbara
Novice

Post by dan_pilbara »

How did you weld the copper pipe to the stainless? Is it TIG welded??
ER70S-2
Novice

Post by ER70S-2 »

Yes, the copper is welded to the stainless with tig. I use a 316ss filler wire and it welds fine for this type of application (no pressure). Just be sure to purge the inside with argon and concentrate your heat on the copper when welding. If you're an experienced tig welder you will see that it welds just fine.
Jocko1960
Novice

Post by Jocko1960 »

Wished I had paid more attention and tried harder in welding class. I was damn good at getting the rod stuck to what I was trying to weld :roll:
15.5 gal keg boiler w/4500 watt electric heating element 110v/220v
Pot still head/liebig condensor
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

It's pretty easy for me to compare my tig welds to these and decide which one of us does it for a living. No contest. My stainless barrel boiler looks like two chimpunks were fighting over peanuts and left pieces all over the place. It holds vapour but I'm glad I don't have to use it for food grade.

I'd rather have ER70S-2 do a keg for me than do it myself, the workmanship is that much better. I'll stick to building stuff I can cover up ;)
stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillvodka »

Great Workmanship that is spot on! There is no way I would have you build one for me, I would be absolutely gutted if I got caught stilling and had it confiscated by the law. :cry: