Distilling on grain

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sk8brew
Novice

Distilling on grain

Post by Sk8brew »

I have an all in one brew system that has a "grain tube" for doing brew in a bag type homebrewing. It is basically stainless steel with holes in the bottom and the sides down low. If I ferment on the grain and then dump that into the grain tube, can I distill it? I have read about people setting up double boilers, but it seems like this would work t0o. Currently I have been squeezing the grain in a mop bucket, which is fine, but this would make it a lot easier. I have not been clearing the strained wash and have not had any issues with scorching during strip runs.
Grain tube.JPG
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Distilling on grain

Post by still_stirrin »

Gettin’ lazy R-yuh? Looking for a “get rich quick” lifestyle?

If you want to shortcut your effort, then “jump in”. It’ll either work....or NOT! But, I promise you’ll get the answer to your question.

Me....I’d rather invest my time and effort to make a superior product, not just to get it over with quick. I enjoy the journey as much, if not more, than the destination.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Sk8brew
Novice

Post by Sk8brew »

I definitely enjoy the journey. But, just like a good road trip, there is a stop or two that you would have been better off just driving straight through.
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Yes its a short cut on "the way its always been done" and yeah he should try it and see

Calling him lazy? how many double boilers and steam strippers are set up to do exactly that are on here?
Perhaps a better conversation would have gone "Possibly, but you should have a look into the effects of running lots of yeast in the boiler and possible flavour differences"

Ifn your going to take the time to share your extensive wisdom at least write a constructive sentence or two in there pointing people to what you think they need to look at? we have the whole interweb for personal attacks
hypnopooper
Bootlegger

Post by hypnopooper »

Sk8brew,
I think it's going to depend on how fine your grain particles are and what your grain to water ratio will be. You'll definitely want to ensure that grains stay away from the elements to help reduce the chance of any scorching. I run a Bain Marie style electric powered low pressure steam jacketed distiller. I see nothing wrong with skipping the grain squeezing method if you have a way to compensate for the process. It's not lazy, or going to produce a lesser quality product when done properly.

I'm going to go with RC on this... Try it out and see what happens. The worst that can happen is that it doesn't turn out well. The best result possible is that you figured out how to remove a step that you don't like to do in the process.
Sk8brew
Novice

Post by Sk8brew »

Thanks. I think I will give it a try next time and see what happens. So far I have been squeezing and a lot of yeast and solid matter is going into the boiler with no issues of scorching yet.
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chickenfeed »

I ferment on the grain. Mostly corn. I want to use a thumper to "distill on the grain" Has anyone put solids in a thumper? If so do I run a straight tube for the intake or do I use an elbow and make a diffuser?. I have spent a few months reading everything I can find on this but these two questions still persist. The plan it to put the grain right into a 15 gal thumper and the liquid into the 15 gal pot still. I am worried about the grain clogging the intake tube which is 1 inch copper from what i figure i can fill the thumper about 1/3 full of grain and charge the boiler and then just run it.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

chickenfeed wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:37 pm I want to use a thumper to "distill on the grain" Has anyone put solids in a thumper? If so do I run a straight tube for the intake or do I use an elbow and make a diffuser?. I have spent a few months reading everything I can find on this but these two questions still persist.
chickenfeed, There are dozens of threads on thumper design, capacity and safety. There are even more on preferred method of operation and the endless options of arriving at the intended destination(s). The answers to both your questions above are: yes, and yes. Nuggets for all if you hunt 'em down.

Here's a list of threads to get you started:

Pot Distillation/Thumper and Design

Steam Mashing and Distilling

Thumper?

Do you really need a thumper?

Show us your Thumper

Lastly, there is an explanation of a few of the principles of a two-keg thumper build located in my signature.

Twisted Brick
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

chickenfeed wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:37 pm The plan it to put the grain right into a 15 gal thumper and the liquid into the 15 gal pot still. I am worried about the grain clogging the intake tube which is 1 inch copper from what i figure i can fill the thumper about 1/3 full of grain and charge the boiler and then just run it.
I only once have read a warning. The still and thumper were set up and filled the one day, so he could make a quick start in the morning. But during the night the solids in the thumper settled and blocked the inlet of the thumper. He had a simple advice: ALWAYS blow through the inlet to make sure it is not blocked before firing the boiler. Then there is hardly a risk of blocking, as the inlet blows into the thumper, it does not suck. For that reason you should IMMEDIATELY open the pipe between bloiler and thumper when you stop, because then it will start sucking!