3' Column vs Pot Still

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

still_chillin
Novice

3' Column vs Pot Still

Post by still_chillin »

I've been using a 3' column without packing for whiskey/rum/bourbon for a while and can't complain about the results. But then, I don't really have anything to compare it to.

Do you think a short neck would give better results? Am I missing flavor with this 3' column?
Berserk
Bootlegger

Re: 3' Column vs Pot Still

Post by Berserk »

Does the column have a reflux condenser? If it does, there might be some difference. If it doesn't it's just a pot still with a tall riser, and the results will probably be the same as with a shorter neck.
Cheers,
Berserk

He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind.
But he who sticks out in darkness is fluorescent!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It isn't really a column. All it does is raise the inlet of the condenser to a suitable height for the outlet to run into your collection jar. Call it a riser or a gooseneck, and I'm sure there are other terms as well, but don't let the newbies and Youtubers confuse you with the columns used with reflux condensers that actually do some work.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

A column with only the output, so no reflux condenser is exactly like a pot-still, you will have the same product. There may be passive reflux in the column walls due to contact with ambient air (if not isolated) but it is very low, negligible.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Demy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:24 am A column with only the output, so no reflux condenser is exactly like a pot-still,
How is a boka with no packing ....but needs a reflux condencer to work any different to a pot still? What comes out the spout will be exactly the same.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:45 am
Demy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:24 am A column with only the output, so no reflux condenser is exactly like a pot-still,
How is a boka with no packing ....but needs a reflux condencer to work any different to a pot still? What comes out the spout will be exactly the same.
If I understand what you mean, in this case the reflux coil will also act as a chiller of the product but no reflux therefore like a pot still.
still_chillin
Novice

Post by still_chillin »

Thanks for the answers all. I had initially planned to add a condenser, but never cared for neutrals. Will leave it as is.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I often do pot runs with a tall empty riser 3 or 4 feet tall (not for any good reason other than those are the lengths I have laying around). I believe there is some small benefit. Passive reflux or less entrainment? IDK but I like it better than when I've run with just inches of riser.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

zapata wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:46 am I believe there is some small benefit.
Zap...sure there is...you don’t have to bend over to change jars! :clap:
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

I would imagine the taller the riser the harder it is for the still to puke?
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier