Should I buy this

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Durhommer
Distiller

Should I buy this

Post by Durhommer »

Screenshot_20201116-174245_AliExpress.jpg
Should I buy this to go on my mile hi 8 gallon milk can
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Should I buy this

Post by howie »

that's an odd set up to me, but i'm relatively new to this hobby.
it's got an RC but no real column to use packing, so if you're planning on high ABV neutral the answer is no (as is)
but you could add a couple of 500mm columns under the sight glass.
at least it's modular so you can add things, but i have seen far better rigs for similar (or a bit more) money
does it tell you how many pipes & plates in the RC & PC?
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

What do you plan to use it for? What problem will it solve for you?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Do you already have a sight glass? Do you need a short deflag? Is the shotgun going to be efficient enough?
Honestly, I'd spend a little more and build out a copper 2" CCVM, but Im partial because I just finished doing that.
If you already have the money for that, continue to put money aside until you have the cash for the copper CCMV.
For about $200 to $250 you can build the CCVM and the 20 inch shotgun. Cheaper if you can find a score on copper pipe from a scrap yard.
If you're making satisfying booze now with the equipment you have, take the time to determine exactly what you want and buy/build your perfect still.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I need someone to build it for me I'm afraid I'll fuck it up and then I'd be pissed and wanting to quit. Like the one you just made would be nice but I dont think I could do it
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:22 pm I need someone to build it for me I'm afraid I'll fuck it up and then I'd be pissed and wanting to quit. Like the one you just made would be nice but I dont think I could do it
Well, you could just buy all the components in SS, and put a loose roll of copper mesh in the riser for pot still runs.
Honestly though, if you can sweat copper pipe and fittings for household plumbing, you can build that still I built.
Take your time and think through every step before you make it, and it'll go together pretty easy.
The hardest part for me was getting a good, vapor tight seal between the SS ferrules and the copper sleeves. And honestly, if you used copper ferrules you wouldn't even have that SS to Copper joint to fret over.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Oh, just remember to drill your water jacket for the fittings for cooling lines before you put the vapor tubes in. Ive read about that mistake on here somewhere in my homework.
Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dewstiller »

Are you joking?

Nah.. buy cheap, buy twice.
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

Deplorable wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:01 pm Oh, just remember to drill your water jacket for the fittings for cooling lines before you put the vapor tubes in. Ive read about that mistake on here somewhere in my homework.
That may have been me. :oops: :lol: :lol:
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

30xs wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:07 pm
Deplorable wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:01 pm Oh, just remember to drill your water jacket for the fittings for cooling lines before you put the vapor tubes in. Ive read about that mistake on here somewhere in my homework.
So how is your build performing now that that is worked out? Are you glad you built rather than bought?
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

Deplorable wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:17 pm
30xs wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:07 pm
So how is your build performing now that that is worked out? Are you glad you built rather than bought?
Definitely glad I built, I enjoy building. Since the error on my first 2” CCVM I’ve built a couple flutes and trying to sort out a neutral setup now. Trying to use some of my leftover 4” for that, but the first attempt was mediocre at best. Only have 36” of packing on my current setup.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Durhommer wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:22 pm I need someone to build it for me I'm afraid I'll fuck it up and then I'd be pissed and wanting to quit. Like the one you just made would be nice but I dont think I could do it
I can relate to that.

Geoff
The Baker
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

That still was designed by someone who doesn't make booze but has a bucket of parts to sell that they were told can be used to make a still.

Of course it will "work", distillation is pretty simple process. But is it the right still for what you want to do? IDK, what do you want to do?
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

zapata wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:32 pm That still was designed by someone who doesn't make booze but has a bucket of parts to sell that they were told can be used to make a still.

Of course it will "work", distillation is pretty simple process. But is it the right still for what you want to do? IDK, what do you want to do?
I make whiskey and drink whiskey the defleg would just be riser and unused
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Durhommer wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:19 pm I make whiskey and drink whiskey the defleg would just be riser and unused
It the RC a dephlegmator or jacket cooler.. if it's a dephlegmator style RC, it would be good for whiskey as it would become a versatile CM.. if it's a jacket cooler style, I wouldn't recommend it..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Thank you sb for your input
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

So you just want a pot still? Seems silly to connect a deflegmator and pretend it's a riser, I can't imagine I'd ever connect it if I were in that position. And if you aren't gonna connect it, why buy it? You know you can adjust the angle of the PC readily to collect at pretty much any height, right?

Minus the deflegmator, a sightglass, and bend and a shotgun (that is a shotgun, right?) is a perfectly reasonable pot still. Can you not buy it as such? And for $100, hard to go wrong. If it's shit quality, you know why, and that's on you as much as the supplier. If it's decent quality it will probably serve you well.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Screenshot_20201119-113721_Chrome.jpg
Think imma use this stuff with a twisted brick built shotgun
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Amazon sells a 2" sanitary 90* for $14. You can get PTFE gaskets, tri-clamps and 2" caps at Glacier Tanks. Buy extras.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Dernord on Amazon has great prices on ptfe gaskets, and clamps, as well as the Ts, 90s, and 2" caps. A bag of 5 gaskets cost me $10.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Thanks for all the help guys I sooo want a new still head I feel like my likker is losing flavor in pot mode and the reflux is a joke on this model...I'll be there soon!