Stampede Stills

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BuiltByBama
Novice

Stampede Stills

Post by BuiltByBama »

What’s going on everybody, I’ve been creeping in the shadows here for probably 5 years and been distilling myself for a little over 2 so I’m still fairly green in it. Even though I’m green the time has come for an upgrade, I’ve been running my 10g stainless pot still I made back when I first started but believe I want to upgrade to a 20G with a thump keg and have seen decent reviews on Stampede Stills using the search bar but just wondering if anybody has actually ran them, how long you’ve ran em, and what you thought about the quality of soldering and the copper they use. Thanks in advance!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Re: Stampede Stills

Post by The Baker »

Think about a pre-heater.
Instead of a bigger still.
You can set it up simply so there is practically no time taken to change over and practically no time in heat-up of the second lot.
More economical, less effort probably to construct it.

Geoff
The Baker
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

The thumper is to small...That is a boat load of money...and I see that they offer an optional glass thumper.

I know you have seen this before but for that kind of money you can build a 15g keg with 15g keg thumper

and put $500 back in your pocket. chrome don't get you home.
be water my friend
BuiltByBama
Novice

Post by BuiltByBama »

The Baker wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:41 pm Think about a pre-heater.
Instead of a bigger still.
You can set it up simply so there is practically no time taken to change over and practically no time in heat-up of the second lot.
More economical, less effort probably to construct it.

Geoff
That may be something I look into I really haven’t even thought of that yet so I appreciate the suggestion buddy!
BuiltByBama
Novice

Post by BuiltByBama »

cob wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:06 pm The thumper is to small...That is a boat load of money...and I see that they offer an optional glass thumper.

I know you have seen this before but for that kind of money you can build a 15g keg with 15g keg thumper

and put $500 back in your pocket. chrome don't get you home.
I thought I have seen you want a thumper about 30%-40% of the size so a 6.6 gallon thumper ought to work for 20G correct? But you’re right no doubt the glass thumpers threw up a red flag and the price is awfully steep! I have been saving some keg builds and that is definitely my plan B if I don’t hear any positive reviews on here. Thanks for the feedback!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Convert your existing still into a preheater and build/buy a 10G copper still for the main boiler. With a preheater, you can run two strips or ten strips, or whatever takes your fancy, even running different products in each. Look up the threads discussing them.
BuiltByBama
Novice

Post by BuiltByBama »

NZChris wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:49 pm Convert your existing still into a preheater and build/buy a 10G copper still for the main boiler. With a preheater, you can run two strips or ten strips, or whatever takes your fancy, even running different products in each. Look up the threads discussing them.
Solid advice, looking like I may be leaning more that way I’ll start doing some research on em thanks brother