Pot still column diameter

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

deerburger1
Novice

Pot still column diameter

Post by deerburger1 »

Got a 30 gallon boiler to use only for whiskey. I wanted to run a short 4 inch output and reduce down to 2 inch to thumper. But the price of 4 inch copper and fittings are outrageous. Is there any benefit to 4in over 2in if only doing spirit runs? If running it slow, would the 2in take longer or same time? Want to do it right and not have to redo this. Thumper is a keg and it will have to be reduced anyway I suppose. Just looking for advice. Any pre-made options? Have 6in ferrule and 4in reducer already.
zed255
Distiller

Re: Pot still column diameter

Post by zed255 »

On a pot still the riser (preferred over column, we tend to use column for a packed section used in a reflux still) diameter makes virtually no difference over a wide range of sizes. Using 4" material is a HUGE waste, 2" is already more than enough.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

deerburger1 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:59 am Got a 30 gallon boiler to use only for whiskey. I wanted to run a short 4 inch output and reduce down to 2 inch to thumper. But the price of 4 inch copper and fittings are outrageous. Is there any benefit to 4in over 2in if only doing spirit runs? I
A 4" will serve no value and would be an overkill, unless you are planning on having the thumper set up at a great distant from the boiler..

Thumper setup should not be set up great distant from the boiler, but relatively close by otherwise there is great lost of vapor heat which isn't beneficial in a thumper run..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
deerburger1
Novice

Post by deerburger1 »

Thanks for the input.