who's design is this?

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

who's design is this?

Post by dunluce »

I built this off of a thread I found on here, but then I noticed that someone else has an almost identical design a year earlier. Just wondering if there was a HomeDistiller to thank for this, or if it is a design from pre-internet? (mock up just for fitting purposes).
151351303_757468248535393_3102175204942113947_n.jpg
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: who's design is this?

Post by Tummydoc »

A thumper and a leibig? Old as the hills!
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Tummydoc wrote:A thumper and a leibig? Old as the hills!
I was looking for something special about it but yep its a still. [emoji16]
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Zeotropic wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:54 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of it being modular, with the ability to change the height of each keg to your taste due to the unions that someone brighter than me must have incorporated into their design.

Just looking to give credit where it is due. ;)
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

dunluce wrote:
Zeotropic wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:54 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of it being modular, with the ability to change the height of each keg to your taste due to the unions that someone brighter than me must have incorporated into their design.

That is a good design for sure.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Zeotropic wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:08 pm That is a good design for sure.
I hope so. Sacrificial run tomorrow on only the second still I have built, first was my boka.

Looking forward to being able to work with flavours a bit more.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

dunluce wrote:

Triclamps are a more recent upgrade vs unions. Faster to set up, variable angles allowed, and no tools required. But even that is old. Its not a new or novel concept, it's common sense.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Do I need a pressure relief valve on this? And if so....any suggestions on what and wear?
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Not absolutely critical for a pressure relief (though cant hurt). You're open through the thump to the condensor so should not pressurize significantly. If you run slop in the thumper and have small holes on the thump spear you could clog and pressurize. Some use a pressure relief valve PVR or a manometer as a relief. 5-10 lb PVR would be adequate. You can get brass 1/4 " male thread PVRs on amazon for under $10.

More important is a vacuum relief, especially with your union setup. When you shut down, as the boiler cools you'll create a vacuum and suck contents from the thump into your still. I plumbed a Tee between the kegs and placed a ball valve on the Tee so i can open it on shutdown and relieve/prevent the vacuum. Still requires that i remember. A vaccuum relief valve plumbed on the Tee is my next modification.

The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Tummydoc wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:03 pm Not absolutely critical for a pressure relief (though cant hurt). You're open through the thump to the condensor so should not pressurize significantly. If you run slop in the thumper and have small holes on the thump spear you could clog and pressurize.
You can also crumple the boiler with the vacuum.
That was a classic situation when rain in the woods cooled the boiler and thumper dramatically.

Some use a pressure relief valve PVR or a manometer as a relief. 5-10 lb PVR would be adequate. You can get brass 1/4 " male thread PVRs on amazon for under $10.

More important is a vacuum relief, especially with your union setup. When you shut down, as the boiler cools you'll create a vacuum and suck contents from the thump into your still. I plumbed a Tee between the kegs and placed a ball valve on the Tee so i can open it on shutdown and relieve/prevent the vacuum. Still requires that i remember. A vacuum relief valve plumbed on the Tee is my next modification.
Geoff
The Baker
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

True Geoff, especially with thin gauge copper but unlikely with his Keg system.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

dunluce wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:58 pm I built this off of a thread I found on here, but then I noticed that someone else has an almost identical design a year earlier. Just wondering if there was a HomeDistiller to thank for this, or if it is a design from pre-internet? (mock up just for fitting purposes).

151351303_757468248535393_3102175204942113947_n.jpg
Which part? The concentric piping or the hinged lyne arm?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

LWTCS wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:11 am \Which part? The concentric piping or the hinged lyne arm?
No, not so much the Lyne arm, that's not so brilliant. I was thinking more along the lines of the piping between the begs, allowing them to be placed at different heights, and also the thumper inlet/outlet all contained in one fitting (to me that was brilliant).
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Sorry, that's what I meant.

Yeah the piping on the risers is just typical concentric piping brought along from Liebig condenser builds.
Not sure who had the first time signature on applying the design to thumpers? Might have been Old Dog?

Kinda the same on the hinged crossover pipe too. Fellers would do that on their Liebigs to allow for different collection jar heights. Again I can't remember who first started doing that?

But both of em been around for a couple few years now.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

Don't let your meat loaf.