Just need someone who "knows" to tell me my still design looks good?

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Re: Just need someone who "knows" to tell me my still design looks good?

Post by Toxxyc »

OK so I started officially building this still. The keg got the bottom ring cut off, legs welded, 3/4" nipple and element ferrule welded at the bottom. At the top I replaced the stock ferrule and welded in a 2" SS ferrule (made for purpose).

I soldered a 2" copper ferrule to a 2" copper pipe, added the T-piece at the top with the reducers and whatnot and also fixed the compression fitting leading to the lyne arm. Lyne arm's reducer is in place so the last thing to do it to fix the lyne arm to the coil, and then I'm ready for a vinegar run.

Starting up another 40l of sugar wash hopefully this week sometime so I'll have enough to dump into the kettle for a good stripping run or two over the weekend.
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

A sneak peak of what I'm working towards:

Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

That looks good . .... But my missus would kill me if I run it on the carpet :ebiggrin:
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

Oh that was just for the pic. I'll be running it in my distillation corner, which is on tiles. Another reason I slapped feet on there. It raises it far enough so the tiles won't crack from the heat.

I'll post some more pics when I'm done and in the vinegar run. :D
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

OK still is done. I have some tweaking to do, but I ran a vinegar run yesterday and it runs like a charm. At full power (3,000W), with no cooling on the coil the amount of dumping out of the outlet was eye-opening. In the few minutes it took to get the vinegar through the system, the bucket collected a ton of liquid and the amount of steam it spouted out was impressive to see. At least I know I can run this thing hard and fast if I want to. Glad I didn't go with a higher wattage element.

This morning I started another 20l of sugar wash. Racked the sugar/molasses wash off the yeast cake of the previous ferment and simply poured the boiled and cooler sugar water on top of the yeast cake. There's nutrients in there (dead yeast) and A LOT of active yeast, so I'm looking forward to this one. The two cans together will be my first stripping run in the kettle probably over the weekend or next week sometime.

Also, the amount of heat being produced by a boiling-hot 50l kettle is insane. I'm glad I'm working in my brew room. It'll heat up the place nicely in the upcoming winter.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Toxxyc wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:20 pm OK still is done. I have some tweaking to do, but I ran a vinegar run yesterday and it runs like a charm.
Good stuff . :thumbup: .... hope you gave it a good rinse out straight after ... don’t want the vinegar to corrode the copper .
Toxxyc wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:20 pm Also, the amount of heat being produced by a boiling-hot 50l kettle is insane. I'm glad I'm working in my brew room.
So true ... distilling is a huge consumer of energy . Its always great to keep some of it if you can .
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

I actually didn't rinse it. Should I have? I figured the vinegar gas would eat clean what it must and that'll be good... Oops.

Oh well, I'll rinse it this afternoon quickly then when I get home, and just run some water through it to be safe.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Toxxyc wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:01 am I actually didn't rinse it. Should I have? I figured the vinegar gas would eat clean what it must and that'll be good... Oops.

Oh well, I'll rinse it this afternoon quickly then when I get home, and just run some water through it to be safe.
Yup , otherwise the vinegar very quickly reacts with the copper and forms Copper acetate . Then when you run your still , you wonder why you got blue booze coming out .
Its quite a common mistake . May I suggest you do another vinegar steam and then rinse it immediately .
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

Is that a cold water rinse or a steam rinse?
One too many wasted sunsets, one too many for the road.
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

OK I re-ran the vinegar run, and rinsed it well with fresh tap water immediately after. So I guess now I'm ready to run now?
Kola
Novice

Post by Kola »

Sacrificial run recommended next.

Sugar wash works well for that.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Toxxyc wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:57 pm OK I re-ran the vinegar run, and rinsed it well with fresh tap water immediately after. So I guess now I'm ready to run now?
Yes
Kola wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:05 am Sacrificial run recommended next.

Sugar wash works well for that.
and yes
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

OK, sacrificial run. Does that mean I have to distill a batch of booze and then toss it? Can I do a sugar wash (small one) and save the low wines from that and add it to a future stripping run? The idea of dumping alcohol doesn't sit very well with me... :D
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Sacrificial is just that, a distillation is performed and you will not be drinking it. Doesn't mean you can't use it for cleaning, sanitizer, fuel etc. Do not be tempted to roll it in to other products, no matter how good it smells or looks. It is part of the price to enter the hobby. Yes, it can be a smallish sugar wash.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Kola
Novice

Post by Kola »

Toxxyc wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:38 am OK, sacrificial run. Does that mean I have to distill a batch of booze and then toss it? Can I do a sugar wash (small one) and save the low wines from that and add it to a future stripping run? The idea of dumping alcohol doesn't sit very well with me... :D
Just do a part of your first sugar wash.
Use as cleaner, to start a fire, or toss it.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Toxxyc wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:38 am...The idea of dumping alcohol doesn't sit very well with me... :D
.... maybe you’d rather sit on the porcelain throne while holding a trash can.... :wtf:
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Butch27
Swill Maker

Post by Butch27 »

Toxxyc wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:38 am OK, sacrificial run. Does that mean I have to distill a batch of booze and then toss it? Can I do a sugar wash (small one) and save the low wines from that and add it to a future stripping run? The idea of dumping alcohol doesn't sit very well with me... :D
That is why it is best to add all the features to you boiler, column and condenser that you think you might want right from the start. Otherwise you have to do your cleaning runs from scratch each time you make a change. I am surprised that you have not run across the concept here before now.
Winnipeg204
Novice

Post by Winnipeg204 »

I dont want to start a new thread, but on the topic of sacrificial runs.. I have a good amount of fores from my t-500 that I was saving for the sacrificial run when I upgrade to a keg soon.
I should be able to use them in pot still mode, recollect them, and run them again in a packed column for another sacrificial run? No reason I would think I can't use them twice?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Winnipeg204 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:42 pm No reason I would think I can't use them twice?
Maybe there is , but I reuse them for future cleaning runs .
Every few cleans I dump them .

Just Label the bottle in such a way that you or a visitor isn’t temped to drink them by accident
Winnipeg204
Novice

Post by Winnipeg204 »

Yummyrum wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:54 am
Winnipeg204 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:42 pm No reason I would think I can't use them twice?
Maybe there is , but I reuse them for future cleaning runs .
Every few cleans I dump them .

Just Label the bottle in such a way that you or a visitor isn’t temped to drink them by accident
K thanks man. Theyre all in a glass carboy with 'Poison' written all over it. The smell and taste is so bad I dont think a bum or anyone would be able to drink it but ya dont want to poison anyone.
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

OK so sacrificial means "dump". Now, from my previous still I did pull some funky tails and also quite a bit of foreshots saved up over time. Can I rather run those, diluted down to, say, 10% ABV in the still instead of a fresh sugar wash?

Sorry for all the Qs, just want to minimize losses here. I do have enough sugar to make a wash just for that, it's just maybe something I have to get used to...
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

You have run a pot still before, you should not be expecting anything different. It will take somewhat longer to heat as your still has increased in size. Keep feeling the top of the column, you will get to a point where the temperature will rise rapidly, wait for the first signs of steam at the Liebig and open the cooling water circuit. I would get a fresh batch of wash going and run her.

You will be doing a stripping run initially? If so even easier. Take off the foreshots and run her hard.

I had the same thoughts / doubts about my impending first run with the CCVM which is a completely different operation. I have read enough here, none of which contradicts, on how to stabilise the column etc. so I'm going with fine wines as the first run. And am going to back myself to get it right.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Toxxyc wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:47 pm OK so sacrificial means "dump". Now, from my previous still I did pull some funky tails and also quite a bit of foreshots saved up over time. Can I rather run those, diluted down to, say, 10% ABV in the still instead of a fresh sugar wash?
Yes the Fores will be perfect . Lots of solvents in them .
The tails , I wouldn’t worry about . Just gonna make your still oily and stinky .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Andrew_90 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:04 pm you will get to a point where the temperature will rise rapidly, wait for the first signs of steam at the Liebig and open the cooling water circuit.
Not great advice Andrew, in the interests of keep thing safe the water flow to the product condenser should be on well before the top of the column is hot and steam starts leaves the product condenser.
On a gas fired still you would be courting disaster doing it that way......even with electric heating having any amount of alcohol steam/ vapor escaping into the distilling area is a serious safety hazard.
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

I have a coil condenser in a bucket with ice water, so the steam thing isn't a problem for me.

And thanks, I'll use the fores then. I have a bit of it that'll work wonderfully then. I'm guessing the fores are used because the solvents "wash" the inside of the still from all kinds of crap?

Then, finally, how do you get the copper on the still looking good? Yes, I know it makes no difference, but I'd like it if my still could look good as well. I built the whole copper section myself so the joints aren't the best solders ever, so looks aren't critical, more of a nice to have.

I noticed two things: 1. The soldering flux cleans the copper to a bright, almost brushed finish really well. I love that look.

2. I always sand the joints before soldering, and this time I used some 1500 grit sandpaper I had on hand. It gave the copper this superb matte sheen.

Which method is best, and how does one preserve the finish?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Toxxyc wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:35 am...how do you get the copper on the still looking good?...
I love the look of a good patina on my copper. It’s like a “comfortable chair”....warm and inviting. Shiny copper looks virginal and abandoned.
Toxxyc wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:35 am...how does one preserve the finish?
Use it! If you want some shiny copper to look at.....make a parrot! And set it on the shelf so you can see it.

But, use your still. Make lots of spirits with it. The copper will soon have a “warm glow” and become a good friend.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

LOL that's what I was afraid of. Doesn't answer my question though... :P
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Metal polish and elbow grease then high temp clear spray.
Personally I polish them once ...take a photo of my new build ...then let them grow patina and look their age.
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:29 am
Andrew_90 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:04 pm you will get to a point where the temperature will rise rapidly, wait for the first signs of steam at the Liebig and open the cooling water circuit.
Not great advice Andrew, in the interests of keep thing safe the water flow to the product condenser should be on well before the top of the column is hot and steam starts leaves the product condenser.
On a gas fired still you would be courting disaster doing it that way......even with electric heating having any amount of alcohol steam/ vapor escaping into the distilling area is a serious safety hazard.
Point taken.

Poster has an electric still as do I thought that would be safer than gas. Will alter my distilling practices going forward.

Thanks
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

So after a few runs, I think 4 or 5, I can honestly say this is the best thing I could have done for my distilling game. Yes, sometimes I regret selling the small still, like for small batches or for increasing the ABV in fire lighters, etc that would have been perfect, but when I fill up this beast and plug it in, there's no looking back. Once it starts producing and I keep collecting jars full of pure joy, I am happy every time.

I'm starting to learn this still now via the temp probe at the top as well. I don't make cuts on it, but by keeping an eye on the thermometer I can now reliably predict when it starts producing, how long it's still going to run for, etc, and that's awesome.

I want to replace the coil with a liebig in the near future, and then I'll be really happy. The whole thing is pretty compact for what it can do, except for the coil in the bucket. It's a pain in the ass, actually.

If I can get a liebig on there, and then perhaps a reflux section for the column, I'd be really, really happy.