Mason Jar Thumpers - Please Stop

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

tiramisu
Swill Maker

Mason Jar Thumpers - Please Stop

Post by tiramisu »

I got bored and subscribed to some facebook distilling groups.
The stupid is very strong.

Mason Jar doublers running over the stove/flame seem to be the big thing.
Someone is going to get either terribly scarred or possibly dead
and it will be because "home distilling"

Canning jars break all the time even when just disinfecting them in a pot carefully.

Please, don't let your friends burn themselves to death.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Mason Jar Thumpers - Please Stop

Post by Bushman »

This fits in the Thumper and Design forum but could just as easily been posted in the what not to do.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I agree with you tiramisu.
I think this forum has done a pretty good job of making this hobby as safe as it can and it is hard to argue that Home distilling is either harmful or dangerous .

Then some idiots do that . Which kinda undoes all the good work we put in here .
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

tiramisu wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:13 pm I got bored and subscribed to some facebook distilling groups.
The stupid is very strong.
I totally agree. I started by joining on here when I got home from an overseas non-vacation, and also signed up for a bunch of homedistilling groups on FB. Most web forums like this one are dead or dying, so I figured the FB groups would be a good place to get the "newer methods and info."

Started reading on here more and more, and questioning more and more what I was seeing in those groups...and from George. The issue is....the Dunning-Kruger effect. You basically don't know enough when starting out to know that you....well...don't know enough. More education is the key....I'd maybe just post on each of those threads you see about how dangerous it is. Try ti educate if we can.