Strange marks on base of boiler after using induction hob

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Asos21
Bootlegger

Strange marks on base of boiler after using induction hob

Post by Asos21 »

So I've used this 8g stainless steel pan twice on an indication hob with 2kw of power.

The base has now developed significant marks from the induction hob on the inside of the pan. Plus the marks have a sort of crusty white salt like formation on them.

What's happening here and is this safe for use?
IMG_20211204_130555_418.jpg
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Strange marks on base of boiler after using induction hob

Post by still_stirrin »

Is that just “crud” building up in the pan? Does is scour out with a Scotch-brite pad?

I’ve never used an “induction” hotplate (what you call, “indication hob”), so I’m “shooting from the hip” here. But I can’t image there would be anything in the magnetic heating process that would cause the pan’s metal to degrade mechanically.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Asos21
Bootlegger

Re: Strange marks on base of boiler after using induction hob

Post by Asos21 »

still_stirrin wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:00 am Is that just “crud” building up in the pan? Does is scour out with a Scotch-brite pad?

I’ve never used an “induction” hotplate (what you call, “indication hob”), so I’m “shooting from the hip” here. But I can’t image there would be anything in the magnetic heating process that would cause the pan’s metal to degrade mechanically.
ss
The white marks are easily removed with a scourer but the marks/stains don't come off with absolutely anything. I've tried scouring with high abv ethanol and vinegar and nothing removes it.

The imprint on the stainless steel is clearly from where the induction hot plate has applied heat!

Does this count as a pitted pan? The SS sure looks damaged in some way. To be fair I have ran a few runs applying 2kw of induction heat for over 8 hours constantly at a time.

I'm just worried about possible chromium release if the stainless steel has been damaged!