Super Sankey Scotch Style Still

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RumBull
Bootlegger

Super Sankey Scotch Style Still

Post by RumBull »

Say that three times fast!!!
I have enjoyed my first still but have been itching to build a new one. Just finished soldering up the final tid bits, and man she turned out nice!
I modeled it after a scotch style still although I will be using it for rum. It connects to the keg with the standard 2 inch tri-clover clamp. It has a 5 1/2 inch onion and then 3 inch pipe tapering into 3/4 inch bronze union.
I have incorperated a precondensor in the downward sloping taper. Works like a reflux condensor except it sends spirit to the condesor rather than back to the pot. It is simply a 1/4 inch copper loop that the water coming from the condensor will pass through.
I have my new condensor design in another post. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... t=8448[b]I have added the copper sankey tri-clover adapter build on page three of this post[/b]
Still top and condensor
Still top and condensor
scotchstill3.JPG (55.8 KiB) Viewed 26852 times
I have both 1/4 and 1/2 barrel kegs
I have both 1/4 and 1/2 barrel kegs
scotchstill1.JPG (45.16 KiB) Viewed 27208 times
with condensor attatched
with condensor attatched
scotchstill2.JPG (43.94 KiB) Viewed 27159 times
I will do a cleaning run next weekend and see how she performs!
Last edited by RumBull on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
7.5 gal and 15.5 gal SS keg with copper Super Sankey Scotch Style Still head.http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =16&t=8550
I make Rum and um... Rum
rad14701
retired

Re: Super Sankey Scotch Style Still

Post by rad14701 »

Nice handiwork, RumBull... Can't wait to hear how well it performs...
big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm »

nice cool looking too i bet some tasty stuff is comming. its hard to beat copper ain't it?
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait
Hack
retired

Post by Hack »

When I first read the title I thought it said super skanky scotch style still and I was expected something more like Dr. Seuss would have dreamed up. Upon closer inspection I realized I had misread. Nice looking work, RumBull. I hope it serves you well.
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

Lovely bit of work.

Cheers.
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Very nice work. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Beautiful. 10/10.

How did you make the spherical section?
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
decoy
Rumrunner

Post by decoy »

nicw work... :D

cheers
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Pretty....

i hope your effort is reflected by your results.
RumBull
Bootlegger

Post by RumBull »

Pulled most of the bits from the local metal scrap yard. Even as scrap, copper is so expensive!
The sphere was a copper float. It had a threaded nipple on it. I cut a 2" hole where the nipple was and a 3" hole in the other.
7.5 gal and 15.5 gal SS keg with copper Super Sankey Scotch Style Still head.http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =16&t=8550
I make Rum and um... Rum
I-GOR
Swill Maker

Post by I-GOR »

How did you do the conical section at the end of the column, where it tapers from 3" down to that 3/4" reducer - or did you find that also in the scrap yard?
Also, your precondensor is just a simple u shaped loop - right?
Why did you add that; is it just for better efficiency in condensing the distillate?

It looks really good cool - I've got column envy. I look forward to hearing how it compares to what you've been using up to now.
RumBull
Bootlegger

Post by RumBull »

I-GOR wrote:How did you do the conical section at the end of the column, where it tapers from 3" down to that 3/4" reducer - or did you find that also in the scrap yard?
Also, your precondensor is just a simple u shaped loop - right?
Why did you add that; is it just for better efficiency in condensing the distillate?
The conical section is hand made from the same 3" pipe. I had to cut out a wedge of copper and reform it. It is 3" on one end and about 11/2" on the other.
The precondeser is just a loop and a way to use every ounce of energy in the cooling water. I have one in my original still and after adding it, I cut my water usage by 1/3. Let me tell you that the water coming off it is hotttttt!
I make Rum and um... Rum
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Howbout some photos of the ugly side too? :mrgreen:

I'd like to see how the seamwork ended up....

NoPointPervingAtOneTitPunkin
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

punkin wrote: NoPointPervingAtOneTitPunkin

To quote King Billy Coke Bottle

All my life I been kissin
you left tit cos your right one's missin
oh Boy

Cheers

PleaseTakeInJestTracker
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

bewdy newk!!!

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
RumBull
Bootlegger

Post by RumBull »

The seam runs along the bottom. It's not every day that I get asked to show my ugly side! I will take a picture of it tonight if you buy me a drink first! :lol:
I make Rum and um... Rum
RumBull
Bootlegger

Post by RumBull »

punkin wrote:Howbout some photos of the ugly side too?

I'd like to see how the seamwork ended up....
The seam, looking under her skirt...
The seam, looking under her skirt...
ugly.JPG (58.74 KiB) Viewed 16153 times
The top view
The top view
top.JPG (49.12 KiB) Viewed 16149 times
The cone was the hardest part of the build, but turned out alright.
I make Rum and um... Rum
duds2u
Swill Maker

Post by duds2u »

Great work RumBull. Did you do the seam as a but join or overlap?
Less oak longer
I-GOR
Swill Maker

Post by I-GOR »

Thanks Rumbull, and ditto on duds question.
RumBull
Bootlegger

Post by RumBull »

It is a but joint. When I started makeing that section, I had intended on an overlap. It just was not laying together nicely and would have created an issue where the large end jointed the other 3" pipe. I decided the but joint was going to work better and look better. It required several refileings and trial fittings before I had a good fit.
As many of you can attest, building the still is half the fun of this hobby. I now have a still that I will be as happy to show off as the delicious amber colored rum gleeming in the blown glass bottle. I am optomistic about the increase in performance in stepping up from my 1 1/2" to 3" still, but time will tell on that one.
I doubt this will be the last one I build... it's just part of the hobby.
I make Rum and um... Rum
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Next question,
It looks like you made the tri-clamp flange from a piece of 1/4" tubing, is that correct?
Very nice work by the way.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
RumBull
Bootlegger

Post by RumBull »

Hawke wrote:Next question,
It looks like you made the tri-clamp flange from a piece of 1/4" tubing, is that correct?
Very nice work by the way.
That was another challenge. It started life as a heavy guage (don't know the actual guage) copper grounding wire. I beat it with a hammer to flatten it into a wedge shape. Looking at it from the end, it appears like a triangle laying on it's side. That provided some natural curving and you need it to be tapered so that the clamp squeezes it down as it tightens, Just had to finish manipulating the curve to wrap tightly around the 2" pipe and then solder it up with some extra beef and file the bottom off nice and flat.
Last edited by RumBull on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I make Rum and um... Rum
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Very nice. Your ugly side is so damn ugly, it's beautiful :lol:
kevin
Novice

Post by kevin »

WOW THAT'S NICE WORK THERE RUMBULL! LET US KNOW HOW YOUR PRODUCT TURNS OUT
RumBull
Bootlegger

Post by RumBull »

Did the cleaning run today.
Last night I ran a stripping run on a rum wash with the old still. I timed the first gallon at 1:35. For the cleaning run today, I had 3/4 gallon of heads that I added to 1.5 gal of water. It only took 33 min. for the first half gallon at 80%. I did not test it's limits but just kept it at a nice steady rate while useing minimal water through the condensor. I will play around more with the first real stripping run. Started a new rum wash last night so it will be ready in a few days.
I took a picture to show you how little water is used. That is the exiting water from the condensor on the left, I just pulled the hose around to get it in the frame so you could see.
alc flow and condensor water flow
alc flow and condensor water flow
flow.JPG (78.94 KiB) Viewed 15347 times
I also removed the 1/8" lip that is inside the sankey opening for less restriction in vapor flow.
sankey with lip
sankey with lip
rim.JPG (20.94 KiB) Viewed 15355 times
lip removed
lip removed
rim2.JPG (24.7 KiB) Viewed 15355 times
I make Rum and um... Rum
RumBull
Bootlegger

Post by RumBull »

I ran my first spirit run with the new SSSSS head on Friday night. Ran nice and slow and made careful cuts. The heart was collected and allowed to sit with a coffee filter over night. The next afternoon I dilluted some to 80 proof and took a sip....The new still head seems to have made a big difference. As expected, those big beautiful pot stills are shaped that way for a reason. The onion and increase in pipe size allows for a much slower vapor speed which must be allowing greater separation of fractions.
I just distilled the best Rum I have ever made this weekend!
I took a sample from a barrel that has two months age on it. Althought the aged product has more depth of flavor, the 24 hour old is much smoother! Took a sample of both over to my brothers house and he was shocked.
Now I can't completely accredit it all to the still without a side by side blind comparison, but I will be doing that for you soon. I will divide my next spirit run in half and run them side by side with old and new stills, same collection rate, same cuts and blind taste test the results. Keep you posted.
I make Rum and um... Rum
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

Hmm, I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open for a nice copper sphere like that at the scrappie.
nice job, I think I'll aim to do something similar
Last edited by violentblue on Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

beautiful work! im planning on how to make a potstill at the moment so i can do things besides neutrals well. got a few questions...

-the whole thing besides the sphere is made from 3" copper pipe which you cut, reshaped, and reconnected?
-how much length of 3" tube did you start with?
-how exactly did you reconnect the seams? both the long one down the tapered arm and the sphere.
-did you use any special tools?

ive been looking around and it would cost in the ballpark of $120 to make a decent 2 or 3 inch potstill from new parts from the store. all those big fittings get damn expensive! i feel this way would be cheaper and more fun as well as much more beautiful and effective to boot
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

I do believe you have inspired me to makes its sister. I have been wanting to add some improvements to my keg that I use for spirit runs. You sparked my imagination. Time to get out the old lathe and make me some spinning forms.
My you sure know how to make a fellow dream. I will be able to make some real nice copper sankey adapters now.
your solution is well within the capabilities of the novice with that adapter.
I nominate you for the Hardware Innovator of 2008 award.
RumBull
Bootlegger

Post by RumBull »

Thanks,I appreciate everyone's kind words.
eternalfrost wrote:the whole thing besides the sphere is made from 3" copper pipe which you cut, reshaped, and reconnected?
There is a 1.5" to .75" adapter, the union, grounding wire, a short section of 2" and half of a 2" sleave. The sleave was added to give a wider base to solder the sphere to, this spot would have the most stress.
eternalfrost wrote:how much length of 3" tube did you start with?
About 20", that was just the size of the scrap.
eternalfrost wrote:how exactly did you reconnect the seams? both the long one down the tapered arm and the sphere.
You just have to get the two pieces nice and flat where there is no gaps and solder them. I back the heat off as I finish the seam and build up some thicker solder.
eternalfrost wrote:-did you use any special tools?
Just the miter saw to cut the pipe, roughly 30 degrees, if I remember right, which gave me about 60 degrees when assembled.
pintoshine wrote:I will be able to make some real nice copper sankey adapters now.
Now that would be cool! Send me the second one you make!
I make Rum and um... Rum