Tools needed to build

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MoonPenguin
Novice

Tools needed to build

Post by MoonPenguin »

I'm wondering what the basic tools needed for building a still are. My husband has basic DIY tools in his shed but they are mostly woodwork-related! I'm looking into building a small pot still, simple as possible for my first go, and trying to get to grips with all the bits and pieces necessary. Maybe it's entirely beyond me at this stage and I have much more reading to do and researching the various styles, but I'm willing to have a go at most things. If I don't have to buy too many tools I would rather build a still than buy!

So, my super-newbie questions are:
What is needed to cut / snip the copper sheets and pipes?
Can copper tubes be bent into required shape by hand?
Is welding necessary, or will a normal soldering iron be fine?
Might I be better off just buying a still...? :lol:
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Tools needed to build

Post by BlueSasquatch »

Look at clawhammer online, they sell kits and outline what tools you need, or what you need to provide. They are reasonably priced too IMO, it's a good first step into still building.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Hacksaw, emery cloth, steel wool, mapp torch and lead free solder with correct flux, if you are not making a boiler or other parts out of sheet, otherwise a set of snips or a nibbler.
Copper pipe can be bent by hand generally in the smaller sizes (search annealing and bending) larger pipe requires a dedicated bender of just use the appropriate fittings.
The other main thing to have is patience :D
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Great to see you thinking of building your own. A pot still is the simplest of all stills to build.
My advice is to keep your first build as simple as possible, practice soldering on scrap copper before you start on the still.
Dont get sucked into trying to build a shot gun condenser on your first attempt, stick with a good old traditional liebig. They are a cheap, efficient and easy to build condenser suited to pots stills. They are a great place to start your build.
Sporacle has about covered the tools needed, a couple of small round and flat files can also be handy.
Spend time reading through the forums build threads........ viewforum.php?f=50
The more you read and look the more you will know whats involved.
Warning Building Stills Can Become Addictive
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

As a first piece of advice I would tell you to start from a stainless steel pot, pierce the lid in the center and insert your copper tube which will go to a product condenser (coil or liebig). So a drill for drilling, an angle grinder (or a hand saw) are indispensable. Then depending on how you want to join the pieces you will need other tools. I really appreciate your idea, I have basic tools and have built a lot of things.
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

I'm a noob too, maybe 6 months ahead of you.
MoonPenguin wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:50 am What is needed to cut / snip the copper sheets and pipes?
Sheets sounds like you are thinking about building the boiler, I'm impatient so I used a 50l stainless keg. Friendly barkeep let me have it for his $50 deposit. A 64mm flange triclamp fitting will work with the Sankey tap on US kegs. I'm certain I can learn to work sheet into a boiler but I'm not there yet thats whole a different skill set from pipe and fittings.
I bought a cheap tubing/pipe cutter that liked to make a spiral instead of a circle. If you get a tubing cutter get a good one ($30 for one that will handle up to 2 copper pipe)
I ended up using an angle grinder to cut most of my stuff. If I was soldering to a ferrule it needed a LOT of work to clean up the end. A hacksaw would probably give a end needing less clean up but angle grinder is less work on the first step.
For normal sweated joints anything that doesn't flatten the pipe to where it won't go in the fitting will work.
MoonPenguin wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:50 am Can copper tubes be bent into required shape by hand?
I didn't try and as a noob I used fittings. There's lots of info here about how to do it, but it is skill to be learned.
MoonPenguin wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:50 am Is welding necessary, or will a normal soldering iron be fine?
It would need to be a BIG soldering iron, plumbing type torches are the norm. You can weld most joints but if you don't already weld that's something else to learn.
I soldered everything, a lot of people here do the same. Silver bearing solder is expensive, I paid $35 for 1/2 pound of Harris staybrite (smallest quantity I could find) at the local welding supply but I have made 2 stills and a buddy is using it for his and there's still a lot left. Had to go across the street for stayclean flux at the HVAC supply it was cheap.
Staybrite8 is better but the smallest I can find is 1 pound for $75.
I love the bernzomatic ts8000 I paid $60 for but a cheap propane torch will do the job. It came with a bottle of mapp gas but all I have used is propane.
MoonPenguin wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:50 am Might I be better off just buying a still...?
If you do, stay away from Amazon unless you plan on tossing it in less than 6 months after you spent time and money making it functional, I bought, modified and used a $125 Chinese rig on Amazon, I learned a lot and don't regret it but I don't even think about using it now.
I'm very happy I went the way I did, keg boiler, copper pipe/fittings, stainless ferrules, cutting and soldering everything.

Buying a premade still can get expensive quick. There's also a lot of shops that will sell you a setup for $$$ that may not be as great as they make it sound. Research any thing you're looking at here.
A middle ground would be using stainless spools, elbows etc. I would have spent less money on that if you count the tools but you only buy tools once. Amazon is a good source for stainless parts, some sellers better than others.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

All good advice! Decide on what you want to drink then decide which still is best. The type of still and the material needed will decide on the tools you will need. Obviously some of the tools mentioned will be needed regardless of still but some will depend on how you plan to build it. Example my two main stills both have keg boilers. My VM still has a two inch column thus the keg opening did not need modifying. It also runs on propane so no alteration for electric power was needed. My CM has a four inch diameter column thus i had to cut with a burner a larger opening and weld a ferrule. It also runs on electricity and I added a drain port thus more modifications. I guess what I am getting at is preplan then decide what is needed.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

I started with a clawhammer 5 gallon pot still. All the parts are precut. Building is easy if you have ever sweat fit copper pipes with a torch, flux, and solder. The copper pot still looks classy, and can run on a turkey fryer propane ring or a stovetop.

But 5 gallons is limiting and a bare minimum to make decent cuts. That still is never used once i made a boiler out of a keg, and my larger still cost less.

Unless you're making a worm and flakestand there is no need to bend copper tubing/pipe for a pot still. Ignore Moonshiners, make a leibig condensor. It's easier to construct and has a small footprint.
MoonPenguin
Novice

Post by MoonPenguin »

Thank you all, you've given me plenty to think about so far and I'm glad to hear I don't need a ton of equipment.

I probably should have mentioned I'm in Northern Ireland, so can't really get US specific supplies or build kits, but I'll look around for the local equivalent of Harris solder and flux, and torches if I cant get them here. The clawhammer videos were helpful too.

A few months ago I almost bought one of those cheap ebay stills, but found this forum instead, luckily!

I would prefer to use a SS stockpot, around 15-20 litres, as the boiler. I will keep an eye out for kegs though, if I can come by one cheap and legal. The worm and flakestand was what I had in mind, but I will consider the liebeg if its the better option. We don't have an angle grinder but I'm sure there's a hacksaw about the place! I'll keep reading and see what can be done :)
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

I'm in France and used Griffon S-39 and some 3% silver solder that I got from eBay. Griffon is Belgian (IIRC) so you shouldn't have too much grief getting hold of it. Harris products are available from some sources but are stupidly expensive. A 30L keg gives you a little higher yield. My two most recent batches netted about 2.5 - 3 litres each of product at "cask strength" (~60%) although my final spirit runs were only around 16L in the boiler. A liebig is a good easy build. My first couple of runs were on an unmodified keg with some Chinese triclamp fittings. I was heating on the hob and filling and emptying through the keg spear port. You can get a good few runs under your belt this way before the tedium of tipping a half-full keg gets too much and you decide to upgrade.

If you decide to make additional holes from the start, I would recommend buying a few carbide tipped hole-saws. Run at low speed and careful, they cut through stainless in reasonable time. Otherwise you're in for an hour-long drilling session, or a lot of clean-up work with a grinder or hand file.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Probably my drill and bits get used often , but a Step Drill is a very useful thing to have . Whether its drilling a hole in a stock pot lid or holes to make a shotgun condenser , the Step drill is awesome .
531FD900-B8FE-4563-ACF5-E2797CD82A1B.jpeg
A basic set of files , flat , quarter round and rats tail are essential . As is a hammer and a Hacksaw with a 24tooth per inch blade ( not the 18 TPI in the pic as it makes cutting copper too hard ) and tin snips . Some like the curved Aviation snips for sheet , I just have straight ones , although it makes cutting round things a bit trickier .
3DC6E87F-AFB0-4181-9D67-80E909BB1CB6.jpeg
Sooner or later , you may wish to start soldering . As mentioned , the TS8000 torch is the way to go . It will take the MAPP gas or Propane bottles .

You’ll need Lead free Solder and Liquid flux . Then you’ll be all set to join Copper to Copper or Stainless steel fittings such as Tri-clamps .
B26FF9E9-481C-4A4D-997E-25B01E6F19B1.jpeg
Also a Vice is very handy for holding things while cut , drill and file ….. and of coarse you need a clean bench . Thats something I’ll have one day :oops:
8836671F-281B-4DA2-8850-7ABE4D977AFB.jpeg
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

I'm really surprised that nobody has mentioned the most important tool! The credit card! :D :D
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

EricTheRed wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:02 pm I'm really surprised that nobody has mentioned the most important tool! The credit card! :D :D
Shhhh :shh: …. Don’t mention that one Eric :wink:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Yummyrum wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:21 pm
EricTheRed wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:02 pm I'm really surprised that nobody has mentioned the most important tool! The credit card! :D :D
Shhhh :shh: …. Don’t mention that one Eric :wink:
But I don’t need it as often now as I did when I went to the liquor store :moresarcasm:
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Yummyrum wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:50 pm
Also a Vice is very handy for holding things while cut , drill and file ….. and of coarse you need a clean bench . Thats something I’ll have one day :oops:

:D
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

If you are building smaller pot stills you can do just about everything with a deburring tool, tubing cutter and torch/solder. More tools make it easier/quicker. If you are working with tubing of a size you can fit in a tubing cutter it is much faster, and produces a square cut without the need for a vise, deburring tool can replace a whole mess of files.
:)
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

... of course: the other toolset that you can use is a laptop and a credit card. ;-)

Seriously, I admire those that try to build their own still. Sadly, I just don't have the chops for it.
-- Rrmuf
MoonPenguin
Novice

Post by MoonPenguin »

Yummyrum wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:50 pm

B26FF9E9-481C-4A4D-997E-25B01E6F19B1.jpeg

Excellent, thank you for all the pics! Your workbench looks similar to my sewing/hobby table :lol: I can barely see my sewing machine at the minute!
MoonPenguin
Novice

Post by MoonPenguin »

Rrmuf wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:52 am ... of course: the other toolset that you can use is a laptop and a credit card. ;-)

Seriously, I admire those that try to build their own still. Sadly, I just don't have the chops for it.
That's still on the cards (eh, pardon that unintentional pun), but since I don't have a great budget for a still I figured if I could spend around the same or less on the tools and supplies needed I might end up with a better still, plus the tools to improve and build more in future. I may even have most things available already, between my hubby's shed and Dad's garage... Just need a pot, the copper and fittings, and a plan of what I'm gonna do.

I have seen a couple on ebay (not the chinese cheapies though) that I might buy if I chicken out of building one.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

+10
Go get the tools. You won't regret it
Self built is very satisfying
Good luck and keep us posted.
Ta
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

MoonPenguin wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:22 am

That's still on the cards (eh, pardon that unintentional pun), but since I don't have a great budget for a still I figured if I could spend around the same or less on the tools and supplies needed I might end up with a better still, plus the tools to improve and build more in future. I may even have most things available already, between my hubby's shed and Dad's garage... Just need a pot, the copper and fittings, and a plan of what I'm gonna do.
All the power to you! :-)
-- Rrmuf
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Even if it costs more to have the tools and experience it is a better deal... You will be able to do your own home plumbing repairs once you have that toolset and skillset... What do you save on having a plumber come out?

What kind of still do you want to build? Maybe the big homedistiller brain can help you figure out exactly what you will need.
:)
MoonPenguin
Novice

Post by MoonPenguin »

Originally I'd thought about building one like the "ebay cheapies" out of a couple of pots etc. I don't really know how well those kinds of still work? They don't seem to be a popular design on here anyway.

Pot-still, nothing fancy, just something to get me started!

I plan to heat it on my kitchen electric stovetop, and there isn't a lot of space between it and the fan hood above. The whole thing needs to be under 80cm tall if possible. I could buy one of those portable electric stove units if I have to, but would prefer not to for now at least. Is there a minimum length a liebeg should be? I've found a couple of designs/plans on this site so I will look through them before trying to source the materials.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Unfortunately electric stovetops and portable ones are not the best for running a still as they tend to “click on …. off “ when set to less than full heat .This upsets the boil rate and doesn’t produce the best spirit .

If you are looking at getting a small cooker , a Gas one is a better option as you can continually adjust the heat .

Having said that , many stove tops have various size elements so you may find say the small one on full will make a good drop just fine . :thumbup:

Regarding liebig size, for a small stove top setup , you can get away with about 600mm long condenser shell ( that would be 600mm 3/4” copper over a 900mm long 1/2” inner tube .
But if you have the room in your kitchen , and are going make one , best go with 900mm 3/4” shell as it will allow you to run faster on the big element for stripping runs .

If you do go with a worm , please don’t go less than 1/2” especially if you are going to use any sort of grains for safety reasons .
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:56 pm Unfortunately electric stovetops and portable ones are not the best for running a still as they tend to “click on …. off “ when set to less than full heat .This upsets the boil rate and doesn’t produce the best spirit .
Modern smooth top ranges do what yummy is taking about, you can see the elements turn on and off.
The old fashioned coil type should work a lot better, better yet a gas range.
16428140959430.png
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

elbono wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:18 pm
Sheets sounds like you are thinking about building the boiler, I'm impatient so I used a 50l stainless keg. Friendly barkeep let me have it for his $50 deposit. A 64mm flange triclamp fitting will work with the Sankey tap on US kegs. I'm certain I can learn to work sheet into a boiler but I'm not there yet thats whole a different skill set from pipe and fittings.
US Sankey kegs connect to a 2" (54mm) ferrule, which fits inside the end of 2" copper pipe. 64mm is a 2.5" ferrule and pipe. Haven't seen a keg with those dimensions.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:45 pm US Sankey kegs connect to a 2" (54mm) ferrule, which fits inside the end of 2" copper pipe. 64mm is a 2.5" ferrule and pipe. Haven't seen a keg with those dimensions.
That would suggest that US Sankey kegs are very different from EU ones.

A 2" ferrule has a 64mm flange. I think this might be the source of the confusion. To add to it, 51mm and 45mm tri-clamps both use 64mm flanges and this overlap happens for almost all sizes.

Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Yup , 3 kegs here with different Sanke fittings all measure around 63.5 mm .
FFC92658-1652-41A4-8B00-C38D30A57AD6.jpeg
EFD26DD0-1F9D-44FF-9932-8ADA3B3C6FBD.jpeg
639AA1AD-F877-42CD-AC9D-B4E813AEAE11.jpeg
And a 2” ferrule is measured on the shaft OD
7A39D9FB-10F0-4565-BCC5-97A9729DC523.jpeg
The flange is pretty close to 64mm and matches a Sanke keg so perfectly its got to be a gift from the gods
37AEB9B4-62F1-40C5-BD1C-42C68338E54D.jpeg
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Thank heavens kegs and 2" tri-clamps match, I'm sure it was an accident. But it worked out for homedistillers. :thumbup:
As to the question of "what tools needed to build", many of us here think more about, what tools we can justify. :lol:
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

shadylane wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:10 am Thank heavens kegs and 2" tri-clamps match, I'm sure it was an accident. But it worked out for homedistillers. :thumbup:
As to the question of "what tools needed to build", many of us here think more about, what tools we can justify. :lol:
Hit the nail on the head there. I cannot yet "justify" the purchase of a TIG welder... it'll come... one day I'll find the "reason" that I "need" to get one...