New Pot Still

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

captstill215
Novice

New Pot Still

Post by captstill215 »

My new pot still, a little advice please. Here is a link to some pictures http://www.flickr.com/photos/34585629@N04/saved=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I was going to gradually taper down from the right side. My question is
it necessary or could I just step down to 1/2" into my thumper??
Any input will be apprecited

Capt S
Capt S
Maintain a low profile
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: New Pot Still

Post by Dnderhead »

If you step down ,do it in steps, not abruptly.
brewmaker1
Swill Maker

Post by brewmaker1 »

You could start steping down at the 90 and reduce some of the side weight. Won't be as purdy though.
Hack
retired

Post by Hack »

A gradual taper will give the best collection rate, but isn't absolutely necessary.
captstill215
Novice

Post by captstill215 »

Ok I'm gonna step it down but I was gonna use 12" at a time but i"now gonna do 3" I'm getting close to even with the top of the pot. I want some seperation from the boiler and the thumper. I am having problems with the heat source. Elect or gas??

Capt S
Capt S
Maintain a low profile
Hack
retired

Post by Hack »

If you've got a well ventilated space to use it, a propane burner is the way to go. You get more variable temperature control and less worries about scorching. To me it's also a smaller pain in the ass factor. Also you can use it for other things like deep frying turkeys, monster batches of chili, and then there's mashing too.
captstill215
Novice

Post by captstill215 »

I have a problem with turkey fryers. They are only on or off. I'm lookin for something better.

Capt S
Capt S
Maintain a low profile
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Ive never saw a turkey fryer that was just on or off.Been using that type heat for many years and all had a hand valve for setting flame size.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

captstill215 wrote:I have a problem with turkey fryers. They are only on or off. I'm lookin for something better.

Capt S
I use an outdoor cooker (60K BTU), believe it's made by Camp King. It has very good control. Another brand that uses a quality valve is the King Cooker brand.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
Hack
retired

Post by Hack »

My turkey burner has a regulator on it as well.
brewmaker1
Swill Maker

Post by brewmaker1 »

If it doesn't have a regulator there's something wrong. There has to be a way to control the temp of the oil.
captstill215
Novice

Post by captstill215 »

I finished the lyne arm today. Picture http://www.flickr.com/photos/34585629@N04/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow I have a question... right after the 45 at the top I didn't solder the joint, I wanted to be able to take it apart for cleaning. Can I seal this with teflon tape or a flour wash? Or should I solder it. Obliviously I was wrong about turkey fryers :oops: I'll look into them. Thanks for all your input.

Capt S
Capt S
Maintain a low profile
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Looking good but, "Cha-Ching", it sure is starting to look expensive with all those fittings...
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Either seal would work. If you chamfer the fitting just a bit, you can brush on the flour paste and when you slide it together it will pull a bit more into the joint.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
captstill215
Novice

Post by captstill215 »

lol Rad how else do you do it? Show me a better mouse trap and i'll use it.

Capt S
Capt S
Maintain a low profile
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

captstill215 wrote:lol Rad how else do you do it? Show me a better mouse trap and i'll use it.
Your method is fine, but it'd make my wallet ache...

I think several members have made tapered lyne arms out of copper pipe by cutting it down the middle and overlapping it or cutting a long wedge out of it and forming it into a cone shape that way... I think someone made one out of 3" not long ago but the theory is the same regardless of the size...

Food for thought... Your time and effort versus the added expense of fittings...
captstill215
Novice

Post by captstill215 »

Rad I saw that post. I thought it was beyond my ability.....well maybe not but I wasn't going that way. I need the sodering experance for my real build a 6 gal copper pot still. the joints are on this one are good but sloppy. I know I have to get better and that only comes with practice. I live in a large metro area and can get what I need easyly.....ceeept rivets grrrrr see my other posts. thanks for your input. keep in touch.

Capt S
Capt S
Maintain a low profile
captstill215
Novice

Post by captstill215 »

Update.....I picked up my 12 gal boiler from the welder today and 20' of soft copper for my worm. I have to cut the hole for my lyne arm my self. I'll coil the worm and cut the hole and clean out the boiler at a car wash tomarrow. Pictures will be up by friday. Question....I have to make two gaskets. Is there any other substance I can use other than natural cork??

Capt S
Capt S
Maintain a low profile
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

I made my tapered lyne are out of a bit of small gauge sheet. Made a paper stencil of what I wanted and spent about a thousand hours soldering it. But it was worth every hour.
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Still haven't seen pictures of the bloody lyne arm yet Blanik :roll: , I think I'm gonna have to start a petition, we'll see if that will get you off your arse and post the photo's. :D
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
captstill215
Novice

Post by captstill215 »

I posted Pictures of the finished 12 gal pot still (http://www.flickr.com/photos/34585629@N04/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow) Now for the worm.
Capt S
Maintain a low profile
captstill215
Novice

Post by captstill215 »

I finished the worm and built a parrot pictures are here Ok I'm probly the sloppiest solderer. http://www.flickr.com/photos/34585629@N04/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow Feel free to make commets. I am going to do the clean out this weekend. First a water and vinager second a water third a box wine. I am going on holiday next week so I wont be starting wineos sugar till I get back.

Capt S
Capt S
Maintain a low profile
captstill215
Novice

Post by captstill215 »

I did the first clean out on sunday. What a fiasco....I had more leakes than the titanic..lol trying to plug them up with flouer puddy, the kid said we were going to go out but this is more enterning. It was a vinigar and water and I was not worred about leaks.

I did the 2nd clean out today I sealed it up right this time, no leaks out of the pot only one leak in the lyne arm. my worm bucket has some issues, where the worm comes out. I will address them tonight.

Tuesday I will run the box wine. crossing my fingers.
Capt S
Maintain a low profile
captstill215
Novice

Post by captstill215 »

:roll: I'm still having problems with my condenser, It leaks shees. I ran some box wine today, not quite a gallon. I ignored every bodys advice about a thermonter and drilled a hole for it. I should have listened :oops: now I have to solder it up. the first 4 oz were green, then every thing came fast one minute it was at 40 abv then started dropping. I stopped at 20 abv. I still have some residual oders When I get back from holiday I'll run a full box wine while the sugar mesh is working.
Capt S
Maintain a low profile
captstill215
Novice

Post by captstill215 »

I finally got started on my 6 gal copper pot still. Pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34585629@N04/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow The lyne arm and worm are going to be interchangable from my 12 gal still.

The more I think about it I want to make a thumper. Monday I am going to go down town to a used resteraunt supply store and see what I can pick up. I am looking for something like a 3 gal ss pot.
Capt S
Maintain a low profile