Modification Design Help

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DJR1967
Novice

Modification Design Help

Post by DJR1967 »

So I have the Vevor 18 gallon still shown in pic#1. I've read and seen posts where adding more height to the column helps. I'm considering adding a 2"x18" spool piece between the existing column vessel and the pot top. (See pic#2) Inside the existing column is a plate and some ceramic balls and I added some copper choreboys. I have a few questions.

1. What, if any help will this help.

2. Should I put a mesh plate on top and bottom of the spool piece and put more packing in it?

3. Would there be any benefit to adding a cooling jacket or coil around the spool piece?

I apologize in advance if this has been covered.
Attachments
Pic #2
Pic #2
Pic #1
Pic #1
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Guida alla progettazione delle modifiche

Post by Demy »

The height makes sense if you have a reflux mode otherwise you won't need much...
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Modification Design Help

Post by StillerBoy »

What is your intentions with increasing the length by using extra column..

If you are to run it as a pot still, the extra will be of no benefit..

As to developing the unit into a reflux column, addition part will be required..

Ether way, it would be best if you researched and learn the different in unit style..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
DJR1967
Novice

Post by DJR1967 »

Screenshot_20210423-100303_eBay.jpg
What if I added this instead
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

DJR1967 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:05 am What if I added this instead
What exactly is the end result you are wanting to accomplish, as you are all over the map with ideas....

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

Have you used this still yet? What are you trying to improve on? I have this exact still, (before I started building my own) and it works pretty good right out of the gate.
DJR1967
Novice

Post by DJR1967 »

I've made about 5 runs on it so far but just stripping runs on bourbon mashbill washes making low wines.Im thinking ahead on different modifications to.work on efficiency and cooling conservation. Right now my bottleneck is mash making. I just acquired a 40 gallon fermenter and made one batch tonight and gonna make another 2 tomorrow so I'll have about 30-35 gallons fermenting by tomorrow. I've yet to run a spirit run as I don't have enough low wines accumulated yet. I've treated each stripping run as a spirit run and taken lots of notes and tasted each jar just to get the experience.
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

Most folks here will tell you to run your stripping runs pretty fast after collecting the fores and heads. After you reach into the tails, keep the better parts to blend back in before your spirit run. The chinese still works OK after you get rid of the silicone seals.