Looking for info on using pack 4" diameter column

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Merle
Novice

Looking for info on using pack 4" diameter column

Post by Merle »

I plan I building a diameter 4" still with 48" of packing I would probably use copper mesh for packing I have heard you need centering rings at that diameter but I can't find any good info on centering rings can someone enlighten me or point me in the direction of some good information on centering rings? Anyone on here running a 4" packed column?
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Looking for info on using pack 4" diameter column

Post by StillerBoy »

Merle wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:40 am I have heard you need centering rings at that diameter
Where did you hear that from.. centering rings are an old idea, and of no value..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Centering rings are not needed. I tested and built my own copper packing and have been using it since 2012. Below is a link to making your own packing, the only thing I changed was adding a little more packing. I also have a 4” diameter column.
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 17&t=47650
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Not needed. I ran 8 ft of 4” packed without any centering rings. Ran quite well. Could pull a nice 191.5 proof from low wines.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051