"Kitchenware" Ø 6" bubbler

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Garouda
Swill Maker

Re: "Kitchenware" Ø 6" bubbler

Post by Garouda »

LWTCS wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:10 am
Just don't expect the column to run any faster/better than a 4" column.

As a fellow kitchenware still builder, I do like your build a lot and hope she runs beautifully for you.
My bubble cap alone has a Ø 4.5" with 14 risers, 10 x 3/4" and 4 x 5/8". I saw pictures where there are only six bubble caps and one down comer on that Ø 4" surface... Theoretically, I should have a higher output, providing the gas burner can follow as well as the down comers.
I saw very short down comers, I'll have longer ones to enable the separation of vapour from the liquid in the aerated liquid (bubbles/froth if any) in the down comer. I'd like to have a reduction Ø 1" to Ø 3/4" (ID) at the entrance of the down comers but the copper fittings I can find are made of red brass, although they claim it's red copper ! Furthermore, I may try to enlarge that opening a little, or cut some slots...
Thank you for your appreciation and kind words ! :clap:
"In wine there is Wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there are bacteria."
Benjamin Franklin
"In moonshine there is Rebeldom"
Garouda
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

LWTCS wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:10 am As a fellow kitchenware still builder, I do like your build a lot and hope she runs beautifully for you.
Thanks, :thumbup: I'm not sure if you can remember my first post on this forum, some ten years ago...
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 2#p6917892
The drawings show plated stills used in Germany for flavoured fruit brandies and spirits like Williams pear brandy.
They only have three plates, I'm going to have seven of them, is that too much (Rum/Whisky)?
I bought large Ø 5" ferrules as sight glasses to be able to remove the bubble caps if necessary, and by doing so, reduce the number of effective plates.
For neutrals, I'll carry on using my Ø 3" VM packed column still...
Could you kindly share your experience in that matter?
"In wine there is Wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there are bacteria."
Benjamin Franklin
Garouda
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oatmeal »

#1. Nice build! It still defies my comprehension, but all will become clear in time I imagine....

#2. If you can track down Odin's perspectives they're much better than this recent pot stirring post

Hard to beat the flavor out of molasses, but 7 is a lot for whiskey I bet. No, never mind. I bet I'd drink 7 plate whiskey and like it......carry on!
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Pickerell would often recommend an 8 plate for whiskey.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

LWTCS wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:39 pm Pickerell would often recommend an 8 plate for whiskey.
Well, indeed, just have a look at a continuous Coffey patent still...
So I'll go ahead, thank you :thumbup:
On the other hand, I have enough pipes with ferrules on them to make a pot still...
Here are some variations of my Ø 3" VM packed column
Basic pot still, the column is shorter than my packed VM column...
Basic pot still, the column is shorter than my packed VM column...
Just for fun...  'Glenfiddich style' The insulation was changed after that...
Just for fun... 'Glenfiddich style' The insulation was changed after that...
The famous Glenfiddich pure malt
The famous Glenfiddich pure malt
Last edited by Garouda on Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benjamin Franklin
Garouda
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

Oatmeal wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:31 pm #1. Nice build! It still defies my comprehension, but all will become clear in time I imagine....
Hard to beat the flavor out of molasses, but 7 is a lot for whiskey I bet. No, never mind. I bet I'd drink 7 plate whiskey and like it......carry on!
#1 - Thanks, feel free to ask questions...
Thanks, indeed, the molasses I found here produced a nice banana smell when I made my first batches last year.
The weather is becoming cooler, so I can restart doing some fermentations, if my flute isn't ready, I still have my Ø 3" VM...
Still in operation
Still in operation
VM head
VM head
Column on boiler
Column on boiler
Benjamin Franklin
Garouda
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

"Progress report"...
I finished my dephlegmator coil. I chose to make a Dimroth condenser, like in my VM still, but following another, personally designed shape. Basically a 'firebox- like' condenser would be better, but soldering stainless and copper is far beyond my handycraft skills, on top I cannot get the right flux here...
It's an unusual type of coil, based on what was available at my place...
It's an unusual type of coil, based on what was available at my place...
In fact, the column Ø ID is 6 2/8" ...
The coil itsel : Ø +/- 5"...
The coil itsel : Ø +/- 5"...
An overview, the seven asparagus/bubblers and the dephlegmator
An overview, the seven asparagus/bubblers and the dephlegmator
My initial plan was limited to five plates, but I got too many successful auctions, so I decided to use all of them, up to two of them, very nice and bigger, that landed in my wife's kitchen.
Overall about 178 cm + Boiler + Ø8" to Ø6" reduction + 90° elbow = 315 cm, available height, 335 cm, so it's just about OK
Overall about 178 cm + Boiler + Ø8" to Ø6" reduction + 90° elbow = 315 cm, available height, 335 cm, so it's just about OK
Progress is slow because in the cold season, it's time to take advantage of low temperatures to launch some fermentations, I got one Rum stripping run so far... (70L wash).
Benjamin Franklin
Garouda
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Day…yummm!

How big of boiler do you need to “feed” that thing? RU thinking of going “commercial”?
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

Hi Georges Méliès... :D

1) H 50 X Ø 50 =+/- 100L. (98 in fact) the same I'm using with my Ø 3" VM compound still, problem could be the burner, for your information, in Germany, the max size is 150 litres by law.

2) NO just fullfilling an old dream...

If you read my thread from the beginning, you will see that everything started after the discovery of a German EBay website where those asparagus pots were available in auction sales, the rest is just thinking out of the box, not following the Boka herd...( I started to build an LM Boka/VM hybrid head but quickly changed my mind :oops: )
Last edited by Garouda on Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benjamin Franklin
Garouda
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

:clap:
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

I like your out-of-the-box thinking. :clap:
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

Danespirit wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:06 am I like your out-of-the-box thinking. :clap:
Thank you very much, hopefully it'll work as expected...
Benjamin Franklin
Garouda