Scrubbies in a packed column

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

sanderwissing
Novice

Scrubbies in a packed column

Post by sanderwissing »

Hi all,

So I sold the plated column and now am putting together a packed column. This is modular, 3", between 39" and 69" (probably don't have the ceiling height to add all the sections :) )with a 3" depleg on top and I am stuffing all the copper scrubbies I have in there. For this setup I am obviously looking at making neutral.

Now the question is where does it make the most sense to put the packing? Towards the bottom or the top or more equally distributed along the length of the column?

Thanks!
Some column parts on order, some copper stuff under construction, a keg and a gas burner. Early days, but watch this space!
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Scrubbies in a packed column

Post by Sporacle »

Throughout the entire column, pack the scrubbies evenly over the length. If you need more go and get some if you can :thumbup:
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

For a neutral throughout the column, take advantage of all the space ... You also make a quite dense packaging.
sanderwissing
Novice

Post by sanderwissing »

Realistically I'll probably start off with the 39" section first and I probably have enough scrubbies to pack half tightly, or the whole section a little looser. I'll keep on adding some, but it does seem like something you'll never have too much of.

I also have 2 rolls of copper mesh, do you suggest just using the roll in the column as is, or do you unroll it and feed it back into the column in a fairly random fashion?

It will be interesting keeping records and see how much difference it makes when I add the other sections.
Some column parts on order, some copper stuff under construction, a keg and a gas burner. Early days, but watch this space!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Keep it rolled.....thats how its always been used.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

those 'Mr Clean Silver Pot And Pan Scrubs - 10 pack' are cheap and apparently in the big green shed NZ.
keep the mesh rolled tight, i think it's almost impossible to roll it too tight by hand.
i use 2.25m of mesh for 1 x roll in my 2" column, so considering your 3" is more than twice the area.....
using 'pi r squared' and taking into account i'm still half asleep, my calculator says you might need about 5m per roll in a 3"?
sanderwissing
Novice

Post by sanderwissing »

Ah yes, those scrubbies really are cheap. And stainless of course, everything I have in there at the moment is copper, but maybe I am overthinking that. It is probably better to run stainless rather than nothing...
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If it's a copper column, marbles might be worth looking at.

If it's SS, use copper.

I don't know what brand it was, but I've had something that looked very similar to Mr Clean that claimed to be stainless, but went rusty when I hadn't removed it from the end of a Liebig between runs. Check it with a magnet.
sanderwissing
Novice

Post by sanderwissing »

Yep, stainless column. I now have many copper scrubbies in there, I didn't keep count. They are tightly packed in about 70cm of the 1m section. I'll probably just fill it up with copper. I also have some more 30cm sections and was thinking to build a tall column, but then I assembled everything today and boy! that makes a tall column :)

For now I'll stick with the 1m, fill it up with copper scrubbies, do a few runs before I mess around making it taller.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

70cm isn't a lot. Have you got any scoria or marbles you could put below the copper?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Scoria is cheaper than the scrubbers in the same shop and would probably do a better job.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

70cm of copper is more than enough for the purpose of Sulphite removal . From my experience , Stainless scrubbers are far more effective than scoria …. and a while lot lighter .

I agree with Saltbush , keep the copper mesh rolled , but when it comes to SS scrubbers , tease them out then stuff them back .
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Make your own packing it is cheaper and more dense. I have since added to the amount listed on the following thread.
Making your own packing
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oatmeal »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:23 am From my experience , Stainless scrubbers are far more effective than scoria
Shadylane did some heavy lifting on this topic, and his tests match yummy's experience (though his lava pieces look a little chunky).

I started with lava and haven't had cause to not use it. Plus it's badass to scrub yer booze with lava!

Still, it's looking like I'll need to test some scrubbies out to see for myself.

Thanks for nothing, everyone! ; )
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

for the record, my 'Mr Clean' SS scrubbies are as shiny as the day i bought them 18 months ago, with no signs of rust.
other brands may differ.
sanderwissing
Novice

Post by sanderwissing »

Ironically I have a bag of scoria that was destined for this column, but I decided to start off with a scrubbie filled column as a point of reference. (The columen is now filled to the brim with copper scrubbies.)

I would love to try this with the scoria at some point, mostly because we live in a volcanically active country and indeed, Vodka distilled through a bed of lava has a certain ring to it. :) But also cause I am just curious...

Thanks all!
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

howie wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:08 pm for the record, my 'Mr Clean' SS scrubbies are as shiny as the day i bought them 18 months ago, with no signs of rust.
other brands may differ.
My experience is the same. The only maintenance I do is to hose the column top to bottom with the scrubbies still in place after every run.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Oatmeal wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:30 am
Yummyrum wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:23 am From my experience , Stainless scrubbers are far more effective than scoria
Shadylane did some heavy lifting on this topic, and his tests match yummy's experience (though his lava pieces look a little chunky).

I started with lava and haven't had cause to not use it. Plus it's badass to scrub yer booze with lava!

Still, it's looking like I'll need to test some scrubbies out to see for myself.

Several members gave good suggestions sorry you don’t appreciate their efforts. For me I will probably not be making anymore suggestions on your request for help in the future..
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oatmeal »

Bushman wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:45 pm

Several members gave good suggestions sorry you don’t appreciate their efforts. For me I will probably not be making anymore suggestions on your request for help in the future..

I don't think my wink at the end of the sentence carried the meaning I was trying to convey across the ethernets. If you will be kind enough to re-read my post as a tongue in cheek thanks for nothing, conveying a lighthearted exasperation at adding more (enjoyable) distilling chores to my list, to expand my abilities and knowledge, I would be most appreciative. I should have used the actual emoji... :moresarcasm:
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Oatmeal wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:11 pm
Bushman wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:45 pm

I don't think my wink at the end of the sentence carried the meaning I was trying to convey across the ethernets. If you will be kind enough to re-read my post as a tongue in cheek thanks for nothing, conveying a lighthearted exasperation at adding more (enjoyable) distilling chores to my list, to expand my abilities and knowledge, I would be most appreciative. I should have used the actual emoji... :moresarcasm:
I missed it thanks for clearifying.