LM slant plate take off dimension

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rumhead
Novice

LM slant plate take off dimension

Post by Rumhead »

Hi!

I am building a LM/VM 2" slant plate head, with a 28mm-22-15mm VM take off. VM valve is 22mm and the 22-15mm reducer is just before the Liebig.

I am checking for suitable parts for the LM head and i wonder if it is okay to use a 10mm needle valve and 10mm piping for the whole LM take off? I already have a needle valve that is for 10mm piping and here where I live it is almost impossible to find fittings in 6-8mm diameter, but all places carry 10mm as it is a standard size.

10mm is just a little bit larger than 3/8" for you americans

1/4" is about 6,3mm
3/8 is about 9,5mm

Does anyone see any problems arising from this?

Anybody have any experience or advise on the question?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: LM slant plate take off dimension

Post by Yummyrum »

It’ll be fine . I managed to use a 10mm ball valve and tube and it still worked , just bloody titchy to control . You’ll be laughing with a needle valve .

As an added bonus you will be able to use the head as a stripper due to the higher flow through the larger valve ….. iff’n thats something you wanted to do .
spiritdistiller123
Novice

Post by spiritdistiller123 »

As long as you can control the flow rate from very low ( say 1 drop per second or even lower) to high, it does not matter what size you are using. normally people use 1/4 inch.
just bear in your mind that we have three types of needle valves: 1. Vee stem 2. Regulating stem 3.Micrometering stem. You should use the second one which is a regulating stem needle valve.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

3/8" or 10mm tubing and valve is the size that should be used..

Pictured is 3/8" tubing and valve as take off controller on a 2" concentric LM..

Mars
Picture 83461.jpg
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Rumhead
Novice

Post by Rumhead »

Perfect!
Then my planning will be without further Ado.

Unfortunately I have a deadly abscess in my brain stem, right in the middle of the pons, so are comitted t intensive care since 11 days ad are inoperable. It seems like the 20g + antibiotics i get injected right at the heart is somewhat working, i am not getting worse anymore atleast. I am almost half lame, left side, triple vision, one dialated pupil and unable to look to the right. Pupils respond but slowly, i can shift from bed to wheelchair by myself ut not walk at all.

So, i hope ill get the chance to build this machine.

My goal is to have two strippers, one colon pot still and this VM/LM main machine. I mainly want to produce light alcohol, white rum\vodka but i also want to create my own whiskey, a light one as i do not like smoke or heavy oak taste but i do find some whiskey enjoyable.

I also like liqeurs so i want a really versatile setup.

Do you think it would be possible to create light rum thru using the LM outtake?

My needle valve is sensitive but really old. Hopefully ill be able to collect some financial aid after this, if i survive. I am soooo hooked on this hobby!! It is whats keep me going really, just got to order RIKUs book so i hope ill be able to read it as my sight is ok short times like now when i use the pad to write.

My ultimate goal is going legit and do this for a living as do know i have a somewhat different taste preference than most. Might be beneficial. I am only 34 years old, way to young to die but i have lived hard and had this risk content with for many years now. I am okay if that is what god gives me, it is my family i pray for, they have been through too much already. I have been praying for god to spare them for years and give me the next time instead and he listened.

I hope he'll see that i have lots left to give and think on my family and do spare me so they can see me be a contributing citizen with a goal.

Peace out from Karlskrona hospital in Sweden!

Strictly illegal to still and here but i got bigger worries.

Thanks for a unbelievable good forum, it is the best kept forum i have visited. Take care of it if i go, and if so, take a drink for me!

Rumead/Romskallen
richard1
Novice

Post by richard1 »

Be well and best wishes
Rumhead
Novice

Post by Rumhead »

Thanks a lot!
drmiller100
Rumrunner

Post by drmiller100 »

I run 1/4 inch valves even at 8 liters per hour.

Hard to find a valve with small, fine adjustment.
Now I know how you claim azeo so easy, it's based on a meat thermometer. :lol:
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Welcome, and peace to you too.

Geoff
The Baker