VM Project

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

WN2W
Novice

Re: VM Project

Post by WN2W »

I'd like to see a picture of it all put together! I'm thinking you could mount the head to the keg without the colum if you wanted?

Thanks,
Later,
_______________________________"L"________________________________________
http://homedistiller.org/wiki/Captain_John_McCoy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11640
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1793
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

I'll try to take a few pics next time I have it all together .. yes just the head unit can be used right on the keg..
Harry
Swill Maker

Post by Harry »

That's a damn fine construction, NM. Lovely bit of kit to leave for your kids as a legacy. Kudos to you. I'm glad you got a little something out of my designs. A suggestion...you may want to give folks a blow-by-blow rundown of a stillin' run with this rig. I've done one before, but it's always good to get an independent confirmation of the process for those who want to know. You know, strong points, weak points, that sort of thing.
Slainte!
regards Harry
WN2W
Novice

Post by WN2W »

Harry wrote:That's a damn fine construction, NM. Lovely bit of kit to leave for your kids as a legacy. Kudos to you. I'm glad you got a little something out of my designs. A suggestion...you may want to give folks a blow-by-blow rundown of a stillin' run with this rig. I've done one before, but it's always good to get an independent confirmation of the process for those who want to know. You know, strong points, weak points, that sort of thing.
For sure! Another thing to you could start with building a Bokakob, then as finaces allow, you could add the VM later or visa versa. Very nice design and fine craftsmenship.
later,
Later,
_______________________________"L"________________________________________
http://homedistiller.org/wiki/Captain_John_McCoy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11640
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1793
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

thanks for the comments guys.. I will take your advise Harry , Next run I will do a step by with pics .. and details .. You and your ideas were a great help on this project .. the product takeoff suggestion does make a difference in my opinion ...
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

new-moonshiner You have produced a work of art in design and construction. Thanks for sharing!
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

thank you for the complement Ayay..
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Wow, I really need to check in here more often. That is some very nice work you have done......I am a little jealous to say the least. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

thanks Coops, appreciate it bud.. :D
Blind Eye
Novice

Post by Blind Eye »

Attention to detail is where it's at, how does she perform ??
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

I like to think she runs better than it looks .. I am well pleased with the performance , next run I will take some notes and post them ..I especially like the gate valve control , easy to adjust , and holds rock solid , the LM rig does require adjustments during the run seems due to the needle valves having to be readjusted ,,

Going from a LM to this setup was a good move . Not that both rigs wont give you same final end results .. Kinda like what car do you drive , as long as you get there safely and on time ..compared to the LM I ran this has a slight edge on speed but not a great amount .. biggest improvement I see is simplicity of operation ..
Blind Eye
Novice

Post by Blind Eye »

I feel about the same, mixed and matched also and found the difference in speed was'nt as much as I had anticipated but a blast all the same, what kind of beak are you sporting with your initial craftsmanship I'm curious to see, thanks for sharing!!
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

not a bad looking rig there you have from what I can see of the pics Blind Eye, here is one I built and end up sending it to a friend .. But this was the last one I did .. I dont normally use one during a run much now days I use the alcoholmeter to check my final with But I pretty much know what im getting before even checking .
Attachments
IMG_2517.jpg
IMG_2515.jpg
IMG_2513.jpg
Blind Eye
Novice

Post by Blind Eye »

impeccable craftsmanship, thanks for sharing.. I've constructed several beaks and found this 1 the most challenging and satisfying, works great.. Was media blasted in pic have since polished to match the tower recently. Took the wifes camera fishing and had a little mishap, said good bye to the cell phone and my favorite Gerber knife with it, new pics soon, again awesome work!!
Attachments
100_1860.JPG
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

thank you for the kind words...looking forward to more pics of youre setup also..
Blind Eye
Novice

Post by Blind Eye »

.These are older pictures, I've made a couple changes since then, I didnt like the thermometer placement being in the back so I moved it 90 deg. so it faces forward so I can see it easier from the front. I also added what I call a barometer which is my vent tube turned 180deg. towards the ground and a 1/2" cap soldered with an old finernail polish bottle which I keep a small amount of 95% stuff in, it tells me exactly whats up on warmups and through a whole run, when its warming up to temp it looks like a water bong going crazy and when she's warm they stop and you can see it equalize, also near the end you can see subtle changes, if you get too hot it shows quick, also during cool down it reverses and will suck the 95% level with the tube, I've found it if nothing else just interesting and fun to watch, I have done this to all my towers, It's just kinda cool! Sometimes all those hours get a little boring..

I downsized the pics hope they are'nt to big, sorry if they are.
Attachments
100_1879.JPG
100_1858.JPG
100_1812.JPG
100_1851.JPG
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

Bummer! All the pics are gone from the 1st post on the 1st page.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Blind Eye, I don't know how I missed that barometer bulb idea the first time I read this topic... That's a neat idea...

"Might gotsta gits me one a dem, I tell ya whut..."
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

NineInchNails wrote:Bummer! All the pics are gone from the 1st post on the 1st page.

fixed
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

thanks new_moonshiner i know this build is an inspiration to more than just me, good to see you again. cob
be water my friend
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

thank you cob for the kind comments, I will do my best to answer any question and help anyone that needs it on this ..
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Very insprirational... Thanks man...
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Cartierusm
Novice

Post by Cartierusm »

Nice rig. Can you answer a few questions? I just finished building a new VM head for my 4" Column. I was going to add the part to bleed off the foreshots and heads but couldn't find out any definate info, until I came across this post, turns out I was already a registerd memeber.

Anyway, I've got a 4" colum so should I add the slanted plates above the Gate valve? The only reason I ask because in one of the Yahoo forums they have a pic of it underneath the vapor path take off, which to me didn't make sense, yours does.

So if were to add this to my head, the top slanted plate slants down, then have another one under it slanting up and , what, 1" apart? Then add a needle valve to the bottom part of the lower slanted plate?

Also how far should the bottom slanted plate be from the vapor take off path (gate valve)?

Thanks.
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Cartierusm wrote: So if were to add this to my head, the top slanted plate slants down, then have another one under it slanting up and , what, 1" apart? Then add a needle valve to the bottom part of the lower slanted plate?

Also how far should the bottom slanted plate be from the vapor take off path (gate valve)?

Thanks.

Here are my plans for a Boka above a VM....

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=13918

I have changed the design slightly due to consulting the Experts here on HD, but this will work...

Hope it helps

Regards

Samohon...
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Cartierusm
Novice

Post by Cartierusm »

Thanks, I reallized after I posted that I wouldn't be able to get the copper plates in the way I wanted as I have 4" Tri-Clover Fittings on both ends and the copper wouldn't fit. Plus I don't have a saw blade thin enough to 'Chop Saw' the diagonals, and really didn't want to have to buy anything. After reading 'A Question About Vapor Managment' I thought what I made was good enough, but I apprciate the repsonse.

Incidently I work with CAD everyday, so if any one needs custom templates and angle let me know and I can pop them out instantly, seeing as I already did a set as I was waiting for a response to this post and I got the process down pat.
demac777
Novice

Post by demac777 »

new_moonshiner,

Did you fabricate that attachment for the column to barrel, or is that a tri clover fitting? I am at the point of needing to order one myself. If you ordered it, what is the part number and where did you get yours? I'd appreciate any help.

The copper work is magnificent! It's a pure shame to have to cover it with insulation.
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

pm sent.
eddie
Novice
Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here!!!

Post by eddie »

how did you do those joints? They look amazing!
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

check pm Eddie,.
doslaur
Novice

Post by doslaur »

Very clean. Too bad you gotta cover up the copper work with the insulation. Very nice.