Whats your flow rate?? How long under total reflux

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Buddah

Whats your flow rate?? How long under total reflux

Post by Buddah »

Hey, just a quick question, I strip 2 30L turbo sugar washs down, cover the element with water chuck all the stripped booze in and re-destill to 95% at a rate of about 15 to 20 ml a minute, i have a 1200mmX50mm SS stack with copper scourers, and dont collect any thing over 79.5deg C (i stop when the flow rate gets below 10ml a min about 8 hours later and am yeilding a tad more than 1L of polished 40% per kg sugar) Am i running it too fast??? Am i getting greedy???.... I'm chasing the zero smell, no taste pure spirt, my booze tastes like vodka with a little bite and slight metho smell even after 2 weeks on carbon stirred daily then run verticaly up a 50mm collume of carbon at a rate of 2 drips a second (weeks!!!) any suggestions??? am i going to fast???? also....

How long do you let your stack run under full reflux before drawing off your heads??? does it matter when i'm getting 95%??? am i dragging my heads out by not giving it a few hours???? is this where my bite or slight tang is coming from or is it a "house flavor"?? I'm running out of things to try....... thanks for your replies
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

When you filtering your booze is it at 95% or do you cut it down. It should be cut down to at least 60-65% to filter properly.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
Buddah

Post by Buddah »

Yeah, its around 50% before filtering