You guys take a look

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

You guys take a look

Post by Kentucky shinner »

You guys take a look at this and see if there is any reason this wont work. I am thinking of building one and see if will work. The flute I feel sure will handle the vapor.
Just a brain fart I had last night.
KS

The red adapter is the part I am talking about.
Attachments
2 Keg adapter.jpg
Azframer
Swill Maker

Re: FLUTE TALK

Post by Azframer »

Maybe if you did a run low with say easy flange keg to keg to keep liquid at same level so one didn't run out before the other and temps would some what be the same. As well as keeping alcohol content of wash through out the run.

Edit= You could blind flange it off when not running twin kegs.
JethroBodine
Swill Maker

Post by JethroBodine »

KS, that might work, guessing a bit tricky to run, but I think that might be straying into the " not quite for hobby" size.

AZF, when only running one keg, why not just clamp the column to the keg you are using?
Master Bruce Lee said," The best style, is NO style."
I've had a LOT of practice at having no style.
Azframer
Swill Maker

Post by Azframer »

JethroBodine wrote:KS, that might work, guessing a bit tricky to run, but I think that might be straying into the " not quite for hobby" size.

AZF, when only running one keg, why not just clamp the column to the keg you are using?
He was asking if it would work. I just suggested that if he did do something like that he should run a pipe low on the keg so liquid could stay at same level and intermingle. Temps would come up closer to the same ABV would stay equal through out the run in both kegs. And when he wanted a single keg with a blind flange to cover the outlet. Was just my thoughts and I believe that is what he was asking for.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

what I am talking about is. making a piece that will connect the 2 kegs with a t in the middle for your column. It really would not matter if one was depleted of alcohol before the other. It would just be like running one keg. The boiler will never run out of liquid before the other is finished. If you only want to run one keg no big deal, just dont use the adapter and put your flute right on the keg as it done now. You would use tri-clamps to attach everything together. Yes it really is to big for hobby still. I guess im just thinking outside the box.. Just a brain fart.. I may get a T and try it just for shits and grins....
KS
Last edited by Kentucky shinner on Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
JethroBodine
Swill Maker

Post by JethroBodine »

and try it just for shits and grins....
Best reason I can think of :ebiggrin:
Master Bruce Lee said," The best style, is NO style."
I've had a LOT of practice at having no style.
kenfyoozed
Swill Maker

Post by kenfyoozed »

I know you cant run a pot still by temp, but what about adding a thermometer to monitor the temp of the wash of both kegs ? That way you could keep an eye that they are running close to the same. Im probably wrong and way off base, but it sounds reasonable to me! :ebiggrin:
Azframer
Swill Maker

Post by Azframer »

Kentucky shinner wrote:what I am talking about is. making a piece that will connect the 2 kegs with a t in the middle for your column. It really would not matter if one was depleted of alcohol before the other. It would just be like running one keg. The boiler will never run out of liquid before the other is finished. If you only want to run one keg no big deal, just dont use the adapter and put your flute right on the keg as it done now. You would use tri-clamps to attach everything together. Yes it really is to big for hobby still. I guess im just thinking outside the box.. Just a brain fart.. I may get a T and try it just for shits and grins....
KS
I think it could be a big deal if one keg was finished before the other because you could smear tails from one keg to the other hearts could you not?
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Azframer wrote:I think it could be a big deal if one keg was finished before the other because you could smear tails from one keg to the other hearts could you not?
In my mind I could see that impacting the measureable quality of the run.

But I recon I'd keep the rig in 100% reflux mode for a good long while and let the fractions sort it out in the column. Then just pull take off with a relatively high RR. Run the rig a few times till ya getter dialed in real good.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Azframer wrote:
Kentucky shinner wrote:what I am talking about is. making a piece that will connect the 2 kegs with a t in the middle for your column. It really would not matter if one was depleted of alcohol before the other. It would just be like running one keg. The boiler will never run out of liquid before the other is finished. If you only want to run one keg no big deal, just dont use the adapter and put your flute right on the keg as it done now. You would use tri-clamps to attach everything together. Yes it really is to big for hobby still. I guess im just thinking outside the box.. Just a brain fart.. I may get a T and try it just for shits and grins....
KS
I think it could be a big deal if one keg was finished before the other because you could smear tails from one keg to the other hearts could you not?
You could be right but I dont think so. The flute does a hell of a job separating the vapors. The heads could be a problem, but I think it you let it reflux for a longer time that would be ok also. All of your heads should be right at the top of the column. Do to the temp of the column I dont think it will smear cuts. Only reason I say this is because when you hit tails with a flute it just stops running distillate until you shut the water flow off to the dephlag. Then they are very compressed. I don't think the tails will come until you shut the water off to the dephlag. The flute will keep the tails in the column. My temp never gets about 80c until I stop the water flow to the dephlag. I think this is just one of these experiments I will just have to try and if it doesnot work I will have a really nice club.. :lol: :lol:
KS
Azframer
Swill Maker

Post by Azframer »

A really nice club! ROFLMAO
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Azframer wrote:A really nice club! ROFLMAO
watcha mean... Im a little slow man... :D What does ROF stand for..
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

think its rolling on the floor.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Azframer
Swill Maker

Post by Azframer »

Rollin on floor laughing my ass off, if I add PIP means peeing in pants.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Azframer wrote:Rollin on floor laughing my ass off, if I add PIP means peeing in pants.
:lol: :lol: Ok thanks for the clarifacation.... Hell ya.
Azframer
Swill Maker

Re: You guys take a look

Post by Azframer »

Well with the way I was talking about you could place a valve on each of the kegs and with the flange there could connect the 2 together. You would also have a easy way to drain at the end of the run.
Azframer
Swill Maker

Post by Azframer »

If you put a plate offset in the tee where you flute attaches you could go 100% reflux and the reflux would go to one keg but the low line would equal them out automatic right?
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Oh yes I see exactly... I think your right..
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

if you put the same % wash in each keg, and had them perfectly level....... It should work.....Right? :? I have been sampling a bit tonight :oops:
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
Azframer
Swill Maker

Post by Azframer »

I might be a rookie at this but my mind has been in overdrive KS.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

MuleKicker wrote:if you put the same % wash in each keg, and had them perfectly level....... It should work.....Right? :? I have been sampling a bit tonight :oops:
It gets clearer the more you sample :wink:
I do all my own stunts
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

blind drunk wrote:
MuleKicker wrote:if you put the same % wash in each keg, and had them perfectly level....... It should work.....Right? :? I have been sampling a bit tonight :oops:
It gets clearer the more you sample :wink:
Thats what im talkin bout 8) You have much wisdom grasshopper. :eugeek:
-Control Freak-
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

We should probably scratch this idea.. It is a little much for a hobby stiller anyway.. I just get these ideas running round my head and sometimes I get carried away. There is really no need to run this much wash anyway.. I really just thought if it worked it would look pretty cool.. :lol: :lol: :lol: yep I been sampling to MK... :esurprised:
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Kentucky shinner wrote:yep I been sampling to MK...
There is a place fer guys like us.
-Control Freak-
Azframer
Swill Maker

Post by Azframer »

Kentucky shinner wrote:We should probably scratch this idea.. It is a little much for a hobby stiller anyway..
Yea right, you lie to your friends and I'll lie to mine, but lets not lie to each other.! :mrgreen:
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Ya but this is a hobby site and and hobby forum.. I just dont think this is the place. Hell there is really no need for it as a hobby. I really just crapped this idea out of my head. :idea:
KS
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Kentucky shinner wrote:I really just crapped this idea out of my head. :idea:
KS
oooohhhh. That is gonna itch when it dries.. :lol:

another thought, if theroetically one were to do this, you should have exactly the same heat input to both sides.
-Control Freak-
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Ya its allready itching... I bet electric would be the only way to manage the heat :idea:
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

hmmmm...... might know a guy :?
-Control Freak-
Azframer
Swill Maker

Post by Azframer »

I guess if you wanted to go large you could just get one of these instead of going 2 kegs.:
http://www.glaciertanks.com/Vertical%20Tanks.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow