Ideas for inserting packing

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

linw
Swill Maker

Ideas for inserting packing

Post by linw »

About 5 years ago I did the original pack with copper mesh from Amphora but I am now ready to re-pack my 1.1 metre one piece 2" VM column with SS scrubbers.

I must have just rammed the wads up last time but I am wondering if someone has a good scheme for getting the scrubbers inserted without severely compressing them. Forcing them in spreads the mesh and it just develops so much friction that it seizes up about half way up.

I have tried searching but everyone seems to gloss over this necessary step. Makes me wonder why I am the only one to have a problem!!

The other related issue is how to remove the scrubbers. Perhaps there are good ideas for this as well. (To remove the old copper ones I fastened a 1/2" wood augur bit to a stick and twisted it into the mesh and pulled it out).

Lindsay.
Cheers,
Lindsay.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Ideas for inserting packing

Post by Bushman »

The way I did it probably compresses it as well but I haven't noticed any problems and it is easy for me to take it back out. I used 2-3' copper mesh strips that I bought from brewhaus. I unwrapped them and put them together as I had to cover a 4' span. When I got the length I wanted rather than ram it in I pushed it in slowly twisting it as it worked it's way up the pipe. I've taken it out and it seems to come out easily enough and the mesh does not look destroyed in anyway. On my last batch I pulled 96% for most of the run so everything is working fine!
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

Thanks for reply, Bushman. I had another think and have come up with what seems like a simple solution. I used a piece of PVC tubing that fitted the inside diameter of my column and attached a wire to one end. Then I stuffed a scrubber in the top end, shoved a broom handle up the tube and pushed the assembly up the column. Just of matter of holding the broom handle in place and pulling the wire to extract the PVC tube to finish the insertion. (Sounds a bit gynecological!!).

At least we have a couple of suggestions - any more?
Attachments
Scrubber inserter.
Scrubber inserter.
Cheers,
Lindsay.
dougyethanol
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dougyethanol »

i just use a bit of small pipe. i have 6 scrubbers moulded to the shape of sausages. i wet the scrubbers with water
then push the first one up to the top, then the next till you feel it contact the top one, and so on and so on.
as for retrieving them, i get a length of gal wire, bend the top over like a fish hook, push it up into the
first scrubber and retreive and so on and so on.
i luv makin booz.
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

im using ss scrubbers, and all i have done is thread them onto a peice of copper electrical wire.

put a lil loop in the wire to hold each scrubber and the whole thing pushes in and out pretty easy. the scrubbies hold the wire at the side of the column so it dont bend, and as it's a copper wire, i can just leave it in there.

ymmv.

must say i like the tampon inserter idea though. very innovative! :clap:

j
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

Good contribution WM - thanks.

Yea, it did feel a bit tacky :mrgreen: It also could have been like loading an old cannon!

Lindsay.
Cheers,
Lindsay.
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

i mena it, its a genuinely good idea.

just think it might conjure up a few unwanted images....

*shudders*

j
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...