Emptyglass flute build.

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Victoria, Australia.Usually the shed. Sometimes the cellar.

Re: Emptyglass flute build.

Post by emptyglass »

Just like to add, I'm starting to get payback on the build time.

It took a while to build, but it does run faster, I think due to the fact that stuff only needs a single run through and it ready for drinking/aging.

If I ignore heat up time, and ditched as much tails as I did with my old pot, then the quater mile times would come down.

I managed to compress tha tails that much, I got and extra 500ml of good stuff, and 150ml tails, instead of deciding what % to collect till, as with the pot, but it did suck some time away doing that.

I'll think about the cost when I have to. Or when the missus asks about it.
You design it, I make it. Copper and Stainless. Down under. PM me.
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Glad things lookin up for ya! Yes I know how much I had to put into mine without buying the 4" pipe and my wife keeps asking how much did cost? All I ask her is do you like what I make with it and would it change anything if you knew? Her reply Nuff said. :thumbup:
It is what you make it
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

Glad to hear it hear it EG, I almost have all my parts made, just two reducers for the condenser to go and of course the parrot, then soldering. Maybe a week or two to go, depends.
MR-E
Bootlegger

Post by MR-E »

G'day E.G

I Have decided to use 3/4 down comers with no cups like you have.
I know you used 32 holes drilled 3/32", I read somewhere you have been experimenting with number & size of holes.
Would you recommend 32x3/32" or would you change the number & size of holes.

Cheers MR-E

P.S awesome build :thumbup:
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by emptyglass »

Thanks mate. Yours is coming along nicley too.

I have settled on 54 x 5/64" (1.95mm) holes. This seems to be giving good results. No flooding, plates load up nicely. Puts out 92%abv pretty fast, or 95%abv if run slow. I still get good taste, which is what I want.
54 is an unusual number, but it worked out that way, as I used my old plates that had 32 holes already.

I found 32 x 3/32" worked well enough once loaded, but I was getting some flooding of the middle plate when loading them up. Downcomer cups may have helped (don't know- didn't try them), but I felt it could work without them.
It took some mucking around, but it does work.

I can't say if the mitre cut on the bottom of the downcomers helps, I havn't tried it with square cut ends. I do get vapor bypass, but nothing goes past the reflux comdensor, and its nothing that a few minutes of full refluxing dosn't fix. I think the flare at the top helps too.
stilly_bugger
Novice

Post by stilly_bugger »

emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by emptyglass »

No worries stilly, don't mind at all. Good idea, they ended up scattered, and the thread turned out longer than expected.

Lol, Rock. I could never be King of America. They would want to see my bank statements. I would have to claim I have nothing to hide, well, when you have nothing, you have nothing to hide.
If I became King, I'd make you the new Governator. And everyone here could become a paid consultant. And the admin could have a car and driver each.
Turn the whitehouse into a brewhouse.
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

And everyone would be happy,friendly,and prosperous, I like it come on over! :thumbup:
It is what you make it
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

rockchucker22 wrote: Even though your one of those upside down British . :D :P
ouch! 230 yrs a inbreeding with every race going we'er the biggest pack a mixed mongrels produced on gods green earth ya thinking of those cross the Tasman lot
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Yeah I know I was laughing while I wrote it . Anyway I've had the privilege of seeing this build in action and it is the best performing still I've seen to date period
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

You Aussies should come pay us a visit. I can show you a still or two.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Off topic yeah one day...Grandad comes from Hamilton Ontario And some of Mums ancestors are from Quebec so I really must get my backside over there one day , and cross the lake to the USA of cause
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by emptyglass »

mash rookie wrote:You Aussies should come pay us a visit. I can show you a still or two.
You should watch your words mate.

What you gunna do when half a dozen aussies lob onto your doorstep seeking refuge and wanting to see all thee still's? (hopefully, show us!)

If only I could back that threat up with fact.

I'd love to come and see what you could show us, but I'm booked in to see rock first if I ever get there (over the pond) but you better make sure you can advise lodging for 6 dumb ass aussies, cos your next on the list. If Qantas rings you and says "we got some lost aussies looking for you", don't say I didn't warn you!
And rad and larry (amongst others) better not chime in here, or I'll put them on the list too.

And six is just a nominal figure at the moment, there could be more of us freeloaders coming.
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by emptyglass »

Bumped for Halfbaked
Dima
Novice

Post by Dima »

It's been few years since this was written but i just to say thank you Emptyglass :)
Im working on a 3" flute and reading this helped a lot :)