CM Still Output Improvement Mods Mile High / Brewhaus PSII.

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shiner_Co
Novice

Re: CM Still Output Improvement Mods Mile High / Brewhaus PSII.

Post by Shiner_Co »

Prairiepiss... Thanks for this sticky! I have tweaked my process by using some of your mods for great improvement.

I use a Grainfather kettle with a Mile High dual purpose still. My first vodka run was 82%... believe it or not... it tasted good since it was the Teddysads FFV... but it wasn't clean. After using some of your mods I hit 95% with a TPW... it is really good and clean. The wash was 4.5 gallons at close to 7%. I pulled 1.35 liters of 95%, .5 liters of faints at 75% when blended, and threw out 100ml of foreshots. Total time from turning the power on to stopping power was just under 4 hours. I could have taken the tails down further... but I was too darned giddy about getting 95% that I was happy with the outcome to waste much more time.

So the modification that I think helped the most was using the copper mesh in the reflux condenser. I put the filter screen for my sight glass below the condenser to break the flow of liquid as well. I couldn't find anything to make a conical to break up the flow... thus the filter screen.

I also split the water lines. The water line to the liebig condenser ran at a trickle. Once the top of the column was hot to the touch I ran the water full blast in reflux condenser... then adjust accordingly over time.

As I stated, I have a Grainfather for the kettle. I had an older controller since it is an older model. That only allows 1600w and 650w... works for stripping but hard to control power output. I forked out some change for a new controller since it has the capacity to adjust power level (it will also allow me to modernize my brews a little better... another positive). At the same time that I hit full blast with the water, I pulled the power back to 80% (appx 1300 watts). It wasn't long before it hit equilibrium and it was a thing of beauty!

As for the columns... I did keep a mixture of copper mesh and ceramic raschig rings. At the bottom of the column I have two rolls of copper mesh. Then I fill the rest of the column with the ceramic raschig rings. It seemed to work great and since I got that great recovery I am reluctant to change. (just a question for anyone who reads this... would you think about putting just copper mesch in the column maybe 3 or 4 rolls? Or use steel raschig rings to keep temps a little consistent?)

Once again, THANKS! The little things... I did take good notes and made sure to document your changes in my log.
Reflux.jpeg
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chickenfeed »

I have always just use the copper rolls however many you can fit in the column all the way from the bottom to the top if you’re going for purity
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

chickenfeed wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:30 am I have always just use the copper rolls however many you can fit in the column all the way from the bottom to the top if you’re going for purity
I'm in the middle of a CCVM run, 2"×42" packed with copper mesh rolls and getting 95% corrected ABV at just over 1L per hour. I think I need to stuff a little more copper in the column to keep the purity and be able to increase take off rate. I think my packing might be a little bit too lose.
But, I agree copper mesh packed top to bottom will get you good purity.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

@Deplorable, on your CCVM, increase heating power to the boiler to increase rate of output also make sure your RC is in a high position.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

kimbodious wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:43 pm @Deplorable, on your CCVM, increase heating power to the boiler to increase rate of output also make sure your RC is in a high position.
It took me a bit to get it dialed in where i wanted it, but it's running perfectly fine at 95% at 1L per hour right now, and putting out some delicious sweet spirit. Im 6.4L into the run and I pulled a sample and diluted it to 35%, and it's incredible. This run is a 10 gallon charge of AG feints from bourbon runs and pure corn feints from my barrel fill diluted to <30%, and it's making the best vodka I've ever had. My wife took my glass and wouldn't give it back.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Lemons
Novice

Post by Lemons »

Prairiepiss wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:22 pm CM Still Output Improvement Mods Mile High / Brewhaus PSII.

Speaking of packing. These commercial available stills come with two kinds of packing copper mesh and Ceramic Raschig Rings. Again this is only an observation on my part. I have no proof on this one. Would like some feed back on it from those that do. But it is my understanding if both types are used in the same column. The two different types will hamper the columns ability to equalize with a proper temp gradient. Since the copper mesh and the Ceramic Raschig Rings handle heat differently. The gradual temp gradient from bottom to the top will be broken with the change from one packing to the other. I'm not going to say one is better then the other. What I am trying to say is it is better to stick with one kind of packing throughout the whole column. And a little copper in the vapor path will help remove sulfides created during fermentation.
While I’m sitting here doing a spirit run I had a thought.

Since the Ceramic Raschig Rings have more mass than copper mesh, wouldn’t they create a greater temperature gradient?

I’ve done most of your suggested mods except for the centering ring and it has helped out a lot so Thank you!

The run I’m doing right now has the column packed with just copper mesh and an it’s coming off at 88.5%. I think next time I’m going to try all Raschig Rings and see if there is a difference in output.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Since the Ceramic Raschig Rings have more mass than copper mesh, wouldn’t they create a greater temperature gradient?

Could you ask that ( differently) again please?

The packing material with the most amount of surface area is what most fellers want.

Mass and/or density may very well affect the range of the gradient as one assumes some types of packing may do a better job of retaining heat.

Ultimately surface area is what creates the theoretical plates needed for optimal purity.

External insulation can optimize heat consumption.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Lemons
Novice

Post by Lemons »

LWTCS wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:46 pm
Ultimately surface area is what creates the theoretical plates needed for optimal purity.
I think that answered my question. Thanks :thumbup:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

From my understanding Raschig Rings went out of fashion back when Noah was a boy, mainly because other things did a far better job.
Home Brew shops used to sell them back when they where selling the "Refux Stills" with 10 inch columns and a couple of marbles for packing.
No doubt they still try to sell them to the unwary.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:15 pm From my understanding Raschig Rings went out of fashion back when Noah was a boy, mainly because other things did a far better job.
I'll argue about that. :ewink:
Last edited by shadylane on Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Shiner_Co wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:54 am I put the filter screen for my sight glass below the condenser to break the flow of liquid as well.
That explains the flooding seen in the site glass.
The screen is blocking the reflux.
Reflux.jpeg
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:15 pm From my understanding Raschig Rings went out of fashion back when Noah was a boy, mainly because other things did a far better job.
Home Brew shops used to sell them back when they where selling the "Refux Stills" with 10 inch columns and a couple of marbles for packing.
No doubt they still try to sell them to the unwary.
What would or do you use when you make Vodka Salty?
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Copper mesh has always been my favorite.