CM Still Output Improvement Mods Mile High / Brewhaus PSII.

VM CM LM Flutes Plate

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: CM Still Output Improvement Mods Mile High / Brewhaus PS

Postby chickenfeed » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:12 pm

Ok. Removed the pa Med column entirely and running a batch of apple juice. 3 4inch bubble plates.
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby chickenfeed » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:13 pm

Packed not pa med.
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby brat » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:40 pm

How did it perform?
brat
Novice

Postby chickenfeed » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:14 am

brat wrote:How did it perform?
Great 6 hours instead od 8 to 10 on the 3x24 packed colmun heads and tails were very abrupt instead of 1.5 gal i got .75gal but at 75% instead of 55 to 60 once i blend and water it back to 40% i will have more final product let you know about taste later
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby brat » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:15 am

chickenfeed wrote:
brat wrote:How did it perform?
Great 6 hours instead od 8 to 10 on the 3x24 packed colmun heads and tails were very abrupt instead of 1.5 gal i got .75gal but at 75% instead of 55 to 60 once i blend and water it back to 40% i will have more final product let you know about taste later

Sounds great!! Post a picture of your rig I would love to see it.
brat
Novice

Postby Alchemist75 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:50 am

I like my CM set up, it does well for me. I'm currently replacing my old dephlegmator but a couple design features on mine that might be unusual:
My latest dephlegmator (under construction) is 3/4" x 9" and employs not one, not two but 18 through condensers. Granted the condensers are only 1/8" but I figure 18 of them in a roughly 6 point arrangement will do the job nicely. The PC and RC are separated by a manifold an valve as suggested earlier. I don't employ a centering ring but what I did was sand out the inner rim of the reducer that joins the dephlegmator to the packed section. This allows the bottom of the dephlegmator to insert all the way through the reducer thus directing the reflux away from the sides and more to the center of the packing. With my original set up I was pulling about 94% from a packed area of only approx. 16" hight and I expect with the new dephlegmator I will get the same. The old design had flaws in the dephlegmator water feed so I had to rebuild it. I haven't tried other column designs as of yet so I only know CM but honestly if that's as far as it ever got I'd be happy with it. It gives consistent, quality product that runs off like clockwork, every time.
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Previous

Return to Column Builds