single distillation... am I crazy?

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jcrawf
Novice

single distillation... am I crazy?

Post by jcrawf »

I'm running a 6' bok and have been making alot of neutrals with great success. For the past 8 months, I've been mashing alot various grains (mostly corn) with reasonable success. I've always done a few stripping runs then a large spirit run with my bok detuned to spit out around 80%.
Lately, I've been trying my hand at single run stuff in an effort to get a stronger whiskey flavor. No strip run, just the wash in the boiler and trying to run it as a spirit run. Sounds reasonable, right?
What I find is that my temps are a little out of whack. I can't seem to keep my column below 81 c. I'll get equilibrium at around 78 but as soon I open the output, the temp jumps, Even if I keep it slow. I'm pretty happy with the end result but I have to wonder if it could be better if I got my temps under control.

For the record, when I do a strip then spirit run, my temp will stay at 78.8 for the entire hearts run and will start to climb as the hearts run out. I'm pretty comfortable with the operation of my bok, but this has me a little baffled. Is this temp behavior normal? It will hold temp but it usually 3 or 4 degrees warmer then a spirit run.

any info is appreciated.
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: single distillation... am I crazy?

Post by Prairiepiss »

Are you running it with the packing removed?
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
jcrawf
Novice

Post by jcrawf »

I have about a third of what I usually have in there. Its pushed to the top just under the plates. I played around with it enough to get the output to around 80%. I've read about other people using full packing and keeping their output around 93% but I just don't see there being much flavor left
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

With the packing gone. The temp gradient in the column will be disrupted. This will cause it to run hotter then if the packing was there. Hope that makes since?
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
jcrawf
Novice

Post by jcrawf »

Is it that simple, really? I guess I'll just keep running it a little hot. Like I said, I'm pretty happy with what I get, just wanted to make sure I was getting the best I could get.
Thanks for the info, pp.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

As long as your condenser is knocking everything down? You shouldn't have anything to worry about. :thumbup:

Here's another point. When you are refluxing and pulling the higher ABV off. The higher ABV vapor temp is lower then the vapor temp of a low ABV vapor. The low ABV vapor has more water in it so the vapor temp will be higher.

A vapor temp of 81 deg c would be 65% ABV
Where the vapor temp of 95% ABV is 78 deg c.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Victoria, Australia.Usually the shed. Sometimes the cellar.

Post by emptyglass »

The top of my pot still used to get mighty hot. Never had a probe in there but I'd hazzard a guess it was in the +90c range.

Remember, water will only ever get to 100c (less elevation and pressure and so on), but steam can be any temp above this.
Your alcohol will boil at 76.2c, but the alcohol vapor can be hotter.

You only need worry if you push past tails and start heating the water. Not something any of us really do and I'm sure you know when to stop.

If you really want flavored stuff, it might be worth making a dedicated pot still head for your boiler. You will get the real deal, and a hell of a lot faster than a bok, typically. You will be able to strip a lot faster, and if you have some heat control, a slow spirit run. Well worth it if your going with grains.
You design it, I make it. Copper and Stainless. Down under. PM me.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I say if you like what your getting then keep doing it.you only need to please your self.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Dnderhead wrote:I say if you like what your getting then keep doing it.you only need to please your self.
It doesn't get more true then that. :thumbup:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss