Reflux Column Height

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MetalMan
Novice

Reflux Column Height

Post by MetalMan »

Is their an advantage (or disadvantage) in having a taller reflux column? I've got a cooker made from a beer keg and I was originally going to install a 2" dia. x 28" column, but now I'm thinking of going with a 2" dia. x 48" column. Any advice would be appreciated.
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: Reflux Column Height

Post by Prairiepiss »

By column are you talking about a reflux still? Or are you referring to the riser for a pot still? Other words will it have forced reflux or not?

Taller column equates to more purity of product. Increasing diameter increases the takeoff rate. This holds true more on reflux stills then pot stills. Because pot stills at the size we use as hobby stills don't get much from a taller riser. Or packing for that mater.

If you are building a pot still? Build it to fit your area. So that you don't need to sit on the floor to collect.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Sory don't know how I missed the big reflux still in you post. What kind of reflux still are you wanting to build?
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

A 2" x 48" packed reflux column is about the maximum from an efficiency standpoint... So either an overall height or packed height of 48" would be of definite benefit over 28"...
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

rad14701 wrote:A 2" x 48" packed reflux column is about the maximum from an efficiency standpoint... So either an overall height or packed height of 48" would be of definite benefit over 28"...
(As I understand it, rad14701 can no longer contribute but can "read only". I appreciate your contribution to this post, rad.)

His statement of 2" x 48" packed reflux column is about the maximum from an efficiency standpoint intrigues me.
The 2" x 2-feet column on my filter system mates up perfectly with my 2" Brewhaus PSII copper-packed reflux.
The then 6-feet combined height I thought for sure would gain me some points on the Reflux-O-Meter, and I've got the headroom & insulation for it outside as the weather is getting nice.
But now rad has me scratching my hairless scalp as to why not? Just diminishing returns?
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

I disagree with that more height is not benificial. I have found taller is always better if going for azeo. Odin aha made the statement several times that 40 plates is the limit. Far taller than anyone has room to run.

I have found taller adds both purity and output. Once you get to 15 plate equivalents the column will hit azeo, but more plates allow faster take off rates as the extra equivalent plates require less reflux to hit azeo. I ran a 6ft packed 4" column and then went to 8 ft packed. The 8 ft packed runs faster and is easier to hold azeo. Will be going to 6" this week, so it will be interesting to compare.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

You can rest your column on the floor; you can have two columns side by side instead of just one extremely tall one.
And no, I can't explain all this but I HAVE SEEN THE PHOTOS.

Geoff
The Baker
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

bluefish_dist wrote:I disagree with that more height is not benificial. I have found taller is always better if going for azeo. Odin aha made the statement several times that 40 plates is the limit. Far taller than anyone has room to run.

I have found taller adds both purity and output. Once you get to 15 plate equivalents the column will hit azeo, but more plates allow faster take off rates as the extra equivalent plates require less reflux to hit azeo. I ran a 6ft packed 4" column and then went to 8 ft packed. The 8 ft packed runs faster and is easier to hold azeo. Will be going to 6" this week, so it will be interesting to compare.
Odin has mentioned the beneficial height factor more than once and that's what had me.

I've got gallons of neutral to run. The days are nicer, and there's cool hose water to replenish the reservoir as it heats up. Privacy abounds.
Plus I'm just stubborn and will give the 6' column a run ----all due respect to rad.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained then.

Thank you for your valued opinions, bluefish and Geoff!
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Side by side columns usually have a pump to pump from the bottom of one column to the top of the other. If they drain both columns to the boiler some efficiency is lost. Often done when dealing with space issues.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051