Dual columns

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jdpete
Novice

Dual columns

Post by jdpete »

To increase output significantly in a shorter period of time, without building a bigger column and using more heat, could a person build another identical column and mount to an existing system currently using one column?
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

Think about this....

If you are not adding more heat then you are adding the same amount of heat as you added for a single column. If you do not add more heat to the system how are you going to drive off more vapor in a shorter amount of time?
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jdpete
Novice

Post by jdpete »

Would the additional heat be double, triple etc. in terms of additional columns or is it not that simple.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

It's not quite that simple. Surface area for the vapor to escape the surface of the mash comes into play, the amount of heat dissipation from your system to the environment, etc.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

there is already a topic about this.

you would have a reflux problem
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
jdpete
Novice

Post by jdpete »

could you direct me to that topic. I could not find it.
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

here you go:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... ght=reflux

(did a search on "Grayson Stewart" and reflux, and looked at the date)
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
jdpete
Novice

Post by jdpete »

Thanks, I'm not trying to revive an old topic but in looking through the old responses maybe using the valved reflux "moonshine-still" plans and adding another column opposite may work and address the reflux problem mentioned previously. thoughts! or maybe the correct route would be to make two completely individual stills to mount on the boiler and adjust the btu accordingly.