What size coil condenser for a 3.5" bok?

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

mwp309
Novice

What size coil condenser for a 3.5" bok?

Post by mwp309 »

I will be coming into a 60" length of 3.5" copper pipe in the near future. Figured a bok will be the simplest and most economical build. I've never made a coiled condenser before, but I am ready and willing to try. I need recommendations for an efficient coil that can knock down anything a novice like me may throw at it. Should I go with thin walled 1/4" tubing or heavier walled 3/8" ? A cold finger wrapped in 2 or 3 layers of coils? Length of coil? Should I keep distance between the coils the diameter of the tubing? I have seen pics of condenser coils on the sight, but they all seem to be for a 2" column.
I appreciate the information and assistance that I have received from the generous members here. You have all helped me be successful in this hobby and I continue to learn as I go along. Thanks to all!
mwp309
Novice

Re: What size coil condenser for a 3.5" bok?

Post by mwp309 »

Sure, I've been searching and reading for two days with no luck and don't I find a post about a condenser for a 3" column only a half hour after posting this! I think I'll try a 3/8 inch double with a cold finger, approximately 10" to 12" long should do the trick. Thanks to all who have gone before...
oakback
Novice

Post by oakback »

Please give an update after you run it! I want to upgrade my 2" boka, I'd like 3" or bigger. It's so hard to find info about the condenser from folks who have actually done it.
NateTG
Novice

Post by NateTG »

My understanding is that the cooling and heating have to match, so it's at least as much about the heater as it is about anything else.

http://homedistiller.org/calcs/cond_calc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
mwp309
Novice

Post by mwp309 »

Yeah, OAKBACK, I'm trying to find some info on twisting a double wound with a cold finger. Stayed awake half the night trying to figure it out. Guess I'll just double wind a length of 3/8" tubing and stuff some copper mesh down the center of the inner coil. 10 to 12 inches in length should be good, based on my experience with a 2" bok with a 1/4" double wound condenser. Cold water in at the top outside coils and warmed water returns up the inside coils. Just can't figure a cold finger into that equation... :?
myles
retired

Post by myles »

If this is any help to you it is one way to do it. This is two 1/4" coils on a 3/4" cold finger and it will just fit inside a 2" tube.

mwp309
Novice

Post by mwp309 »

Nice looking coil, Myles! Thanks for the great photo! I think that I am going to have to go in that direction with my coil. A single direction coil with cold water entering at top of outside coil and warm water coming off thru the top of the cold finger will be tough to twist and fit inside a 3 1/2" column. I just don't think that I can twist a 3/8" copper tube into a triple coil with cold finger. Your double with cold finger looks easier to make and should be effective for knocking down the vapors. (Now just waiting for that section of pipe to come my way. Hope this deal doesn't go south...)