reflux still design needs aproval

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Josesillo
Bootlegger

reflux still design needs aproval

Post by Josesillo »

this is a design i have been thinking about i cant draw very well but here it goes.

the packing will be 1cm marbles and it has cooling water inside the column in a 1/4 copper pipe the column is 1m tall and 2" in diameter
on the product line there is a tee going to the reflux valve (needle) and to the output.

i need to know if this would be ok or do i need any corrections
- - - - - - -

--Fishing and Distilling... What else is there to do???.--
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

My suggestions

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Make sure your column dimensions are right. I believe there are charts online. Also, flow the water to your worm from the bottom of the worm, taking the hot water out the top. Flow cool water to the top of your column, taking water from the bottom. You can use one water source for cold water in and one for hot water out.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.

Post by Guest »

ok as suggested i changed the design in many ways

as i already had bought the 2 inch and i thought it was ok it is syill the same.
i removed the coil inside the column but left the return line, but insted of having it under the packing i moved it to the top, but then had to move the condenser as well to the top of the column
i use a 1/4 pipe in the output line that goes straight up to the condenser coil and ends in a tee with two needle valves one for the return and the other for product output

the packing i had was 1 cm marbles but i changed to ss scrubers as recomended

here is the (not so good) drawin of it

tell me if its ok for you
Josesillo
Bootlegger

Post by Josesillo »

sorry i wasnt logged in
- - - - - - -

linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

Looks much more conventional, Jose. So, is it really an Elliptical Plate design like Fourway posted i.e. uses plates to collect distillate? Not that easy to see in your diag! Important to copy a known good design as that way you are assured of success. If, later, you have bright ideas then go for it!

Good luck - looks good.
Cheers,
Lindsay.
Josesillo
Bootlegger

Post by Josesillo »

well actually it doesnt have any plates it only has a condenser on top of the column.
a 1/4 copper pipe comes out of the top cap of the column and is wound into a coil made out of 5 m of pipe, then it goes to a tee with two needle valves one for the return ond the other for product output

this is a detail on the top and condenser.

- - - - - - -

knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

If I understand the drawing at all it will not work very well and will be extremely dangerous to use. The way I understand the drawing is that you have a water jacket condenser on top of your column and you are tapering the vapour from a 2" column (just guessing on the size) into a 1/4" coil (again just guessing at the size). It doesn't look like you have a vent for the column at all which is where the danger comes in. From my understanding of the drawing on the coil, which I think you want to run your vapour through, on the rise you are already in the cooling water. There are two ways to condense liquid form vapour, cooling the vapur or compressing the vapour. Cooling being the safer of the two and also the one used in this hobby. A lot or most of your vapour will already condense here and all this condensate will run back down you column which is uncontrolled reflux. Then with your needle valves you will return more liquid to the column but at this point you will not be able to even estimate your reflux ratio. Maybe I am just misunderstanding the drawing but that is how I see it anyway.
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
Fourway
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Fourway »

Right...

Jose-- nobody likes the way the open headed column designs look when they first look at them. What you are proposing here is almost exactly the same first impulse everyone has about improving the design.

Relax... don't try to reinvent the wheel... have faith in Saint Nixon and the arc angel Stone and the prophet Alex Bokakob.
Those open head designs are correct... they are good... they are true... they work. They will not blow up your house and leave you with third degree burns over 65% of your body (like your "improvement" probably will).

once you see an open head column in action you will understand. the concept at first seems to defy logic... but it is in fact quite functional and elegant.

Build somebody elses design first.
you can't improve a design youve never used.
"a woman who drives you to drink is hard to find, most of them will make you drive yourself."
anon--
Josesillo
Bootlegger

Post by Josesillo »

guys, i know all you're saying is absolutely true, i realize that it is in fact a time bomb what i was planning to make, (thank god i have you to take me to the the right way),

well now that i'm not going to make the questioned design, i have to ask some things.

the coil i have is 23'' long, made with 5 meters of 1/4'' copper pipe.
is this good enough to use in the inline head design? i know it has to be much more eficient than a simple cooling coil. maybe stuffing some scruber in it will work.

and about the reflux ratio, how can i estimate it with the inline head,
- - - - - - -

Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

That sounds like more than plenty condensor, but will be really tall for an inline, you will just need a tall ceiling or be outside.

The distillate take off line should come out from the bottom elliptical plate resevoir, turns straight down and a valve placed three inches below the elevation of the bottom elliptical plate. Just above the valve, place a line going from the distillate take off back to the column for reflux return.

This arrangement will allow complete distillate removal to check volume of distillate for reflux ratio or perform a stripping run. Varying degrees of valve closure will back distillate up the line and allow it to spill over to the cross connection to the column for reflux return.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Josesillo
Bootlegger

Post by Josesillo »

thank you, that helps
- - - - - - -