Condenser Controlled Columns

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Thebigbrewbowski
Novice

Re: Condenser Controlled Columns

Post by Thebigbrewbowski »

Twisted Brick wrote:
Thebigbrewbowski wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:58 pm What length of CSST should I order for a 2" column for the RC? 1/2" x 48" should be good? Only have a 6" extension ontop of the T.
You can find the answer to this question multiple times in the first few pages of this thread. Give it a read.... and help yourself!
Thanks for your assumptions, Ive read the whole thread a couple months ago, many portions read 2-3x and made notes for my build. Im currently re reading portions and using the search function but Im only seeing what length of 1/2" csst was successfully used and recommended for a 3" column not 2"...a few people mentioned what length they intended to buy for their 2" column but no solid info on what worked best or if they ordered the wrong length.

Anyone else have any suggestions on what length would be adequate. Where I live this stuff aint cheap so any savings would be great.

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Thebigbrewbowski wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:29 pm
Twisted Brick wrote:
Thebigbrewbowski wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:58 pm What length of CSST should I order for a 2" column for the RC? 1/2" x 48" should be good? Only have a 6" extension ontop of the T.
You can find the answer to this question multiple times in the first few pages of this thread. Give it a read.... and help yourself!
Thanks for your assumptions, Ive read the whole thread a couple months ago, many portions read 2-3x and made notes for my build. Im currently re reading portions and using the search function but Im only seeing what length of 1/2" csst was successfully used and recommended for a 3" column not 2"...a few people mentioned what length they intended to buy for their 2" column but no solid info on what worked best or if they ordered the wrong length.

Anyone else have any suggestions on what length would be adequate. Where I live this stuff aint cheap so any savings would be great.
The answer you seek lies at the bottom of page 8. ;-)
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

I used a 72” length of 1/2” CSST to make a reflux condenser for my 2” CCVM
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

kimbodious wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:19 pm I used a 72” length of 1/2” CSST to make a reflux condenser for my 2” CCVM
If I'm not mistaken, you just did a cold finger twist on yours, or were you able to get a wound coil tight enough from 1/2 to fit in a 2"?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Whats the distance from the top of your extension to the bottom of your offtake? That is the more important measurement.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:28 pm
Whats the distance from the top of your extension to the bottom of your offtake? That is the more important measurement.
18” (12” extension + 6” to the bottom of the offtake). A 12” extension is too long and a PITA but it is what I already had. A 6” extension would do the job
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
Thebigbrewbowski
Novice

Deplorable wrote:
With the 6" extension to the bottom of take off on the T it would be 10"

I thought I saw a calculation for length based on # twist and diameter but don't recall if it was this thread or not.

Either way most lengths come in 12 inch increments. 4 feet seems like enough but I dont want to underestimate and then have to buy more.

Thanks for the feedback, KimB I will PM you!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

72 inch 3/8 OD will apparently twist up to make a coil 11 inches from the bottom of the condenser to the top of the top coil and fit a 2 inch column. Thats what's pictured in the pic on the bottom of page 8. I'll be going the same route. My condenser needs to be similar. 10 inches from the top of the extension, to the bottom of the 2" offtake.
I think a 48 inch will leave you short. It looks like a 60 would barely make it.
I'm not sure if I can get a 1/2 OD to coil tight enough to fit in a 2" column.
Thebigbrewbowski
Novice

Deplorable wrote:72 inch 3/8 OD will apparently twist up to make a coil 11 inches from the bottom of the condenser to the top of the top coil and fit a 2 inch column. Thats what's pictured in the pic on the bottom of page 8. I'll be going the same route. My condenser needs to be similar. 10 inches from the top of the extension, to the bottom of the 2" offtake.
I think a 48 inch will leave you short. It looks like a 60 would barely make it.
I'm not sure if I can get a 1/2 OD to coil tight enough to fit in a 2" column.
Good points, I was thinking 1/2 might be a tight fit but Im sure others have used it or would have spoke up if it didnt work. Im going to see if I can find that calculator someone posted either this thread or elsewhere, I thought it included approximate lengths for a single or double helix/overlap whatever its called....
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Here’s mr RC made from 1/2” OD CSST. It is for a 2” column. I used about 60” from a 72” length to make this. The riser above the offtake is 12” so the overly long RC is not a problem for me. A shorter riser say 6” will be fine, I just had the 12” spool already.
download/file.php?id=60660&mode=view
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

kimbodious wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:29 pm Here’s mr RC made from 1/2” OD CSST. It is for a 2” column. I used about 60” from a 72” length to make this. The riser above the offtake is 12” so the overly long RC is not a problem for me. A shorter riser say 6” will be fine, I just had the 12” spool already.
download/file.php?id=60660&mode=view
Thats what I thought. 1/2 will twist and fit, and 3/8 will coil on itself and fit. Rockystill's condenser on page 8 is exactly what I'll be making.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Too easy! Just make sure you make contact all around with the walls of the reflux chamber. That is why DAD300 suggested weaving a pot scrubber or two in and around the condenser 👍🏽
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
Thebigbrewbowski
Novice

rockystill wrote:Wow! I'm building a CCVM still now (50l keg and 2" column), and this is BY FAR the easiest, coolest thing I've built so far. Took about two minutes! Fits nice and snug in a 2" pipe, but I'll add some copper scrubbies as well.
My coil from tip to top coil is about 11".

I got my CSST here - https://www.plumbingsupply.com/gasconnectors.html - and I'm using this version:
Stainless Steel Gasflex - 3/8"od x 72" - with adapter to 1/2"fips x 1/2"fips

Just bringing this forward for reference to the current discussion [emoji16]
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Nice work Bigbrew :thumbup:
You almost got me wanting to build one of them just cause it looks so easy!
Seems like its almost impossible to get decent lengths of that tubing here in AU :(
chilimies
Novice

Post by chilimies »

So I don't need to monitor any other temps than condenser coolant output? How do I prevent boiling water?
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

chilimies wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:08 am So I don't need to monitor any other temps than condenser coolant output? How do I prevent boiling water?
What boiling water? Your condenser should never come close to that in normal operation.

If you're talking about boiler temp, that has no meaning in operation.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

chilimies wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:08 am So I don't need to monitor any other temps than condenser coolant output? How do I prevent boiling water?
You can't. The very first drop to the very last drop will have water in it. And the first to last drop will have alcohol (varible statement). It will also have a little bit of everything in the boiler. Setting a certain tempature won't make some things boil and some things not. The entire solution (which is not either water or alcohol, but a new solution of both) will either boil, or not boil. It may boil hard, or soft, but the boiling temp is uniform to the one solution in the boiler.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Thebigbrewbowski
Novice

Saltbush Bill wrote:Nice work Bigbrew [emoji106]
You almost got me wanting to build one of them just cause it looks so easy!
Seems like its almost impossible to get decent lengths of that tubing here in AU :(
I love the simplicity and ease of the modular designs they are quite attractive. Dad300 and others have done a great job explaining. This thread is full of great info.

I just ordered a length of 72" x 3/8" and it has the yellow coating on it because where Im at its also very difficult to source, pretty much impossible to get the uncoated stuff. I watched a youtube video and it looks like its just polypropylene coating and can easily be cut off. Ill update how that works.
jward
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jward »

Thebigbrewbowski wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:32 pm I just ordered a length of 72" x 3/8" and it has the yellow coating on it because where Im at its also very difficult to source, pretty much impossible to get the uncoated stuff. I watched a youtube video and it looks like its just polypropylene coating and can easily be cut off. Ill update how that works.
I hope that works out. There seems to be two kinds of yellow stuff on CSST. The premade lengths like for appliances have more of a paint or powder coating and doesn't look like it will readily come off. The CSST for burial has a coating or cover like Romex cable etc. that can be cut off.
Thebigbrewbowski
Novice

jward wrote:
Thebigbrewbowski wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:32 pm I just ordered a length of 72" x 3/8" and it has the yellow coating on it because where Im at its also very difficult to source, pretty much impossible to get the uncoated stuff. I watched a youtube video and it looks like its just polypropylene coating and can easily be cut off. Ill update how that works.
I hope that works out. There seems to be two kinds of yellow stuff on CSST. The premade lengths like for appliances have more of a paint or powder coating and doesn't look like it will readily come off. The CSST for burial has a coating or cover like Romex cable etc. that can be cut off.
Yea I hope it peels off easy like what I saw in video, if not Ill have to return it and try again. No other options available at this time in 3/8 without ordering international for a huge cost, I could do 1/2" and twist it around a scrubbie like kimbo did with his if it doesn't work out or I have some copper coil I could try and bend.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Thebigbrewbowski wrote:
jward wrote:
Yea I hope it peels off easy like what I saw in video, if not Ill have to return it and try again. No other options available at this time in 3/8 without ordering international for a huge cost, I could do 1/2" and twist it around a scrubbie like kimbo did with his if it doesn't work out or I have some copper coil I could try and bend.
Just an idea, if it doesn't peel off you might try burning it off.
Thebigbrewbowski
Novice

Zeotropic wrote:
Thebigbrewbowski wrote:
jward wrote:
Just an idea, if it doesn't peel off you might try burning it off.
Thought about that too but it could possibly leach contamination into it, trying to be as health conscious as I can be about making liver poison lol...

All the parts arrived today just waiting on the CSST to make the RC.[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202011 ... 41f284.jpg[/IMG]
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Some day I'll get around to it. I just spent my stilling budget for the next couple months on another 145 pounds of grains.
On the bright side, ill have plenty of feints to clean up once I finally twist up a RC. lol
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Thebigbrewbowski wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:43 pm Yea I hope it peels off easy like what I saw in video, if not Ill have to return it and try again.

If it doesn't peel off easily by hand then an overnight soak in a bucket of heads should loosen it up nicely.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Thebigbrewbowski
Novice

greggn wrote:
Thebigbrewbowski wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:43 pm Yea I hope it peels off easy like what I saw in video, if not Ill have to return it and try again.

If it doesn't peel off easily by hand then an overnight soak in a bucket of heads should loosen it up nicely.
good idea!!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Thebigbrewbowski wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:59 pm
greggn wrote:

good idea!!
Unless its powder coat. The yellow stuff here is powder coated. That stuff is harder that paint and requires either caustic strippers ar sandblasting to remove it.
Fart Vader
Swill Maker

Post by Fart Vader »

Check out dudadiesel.com they sell CSST and the required fittings.
My double walled boiler build: The Mashimizer. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64980
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Deplorable wrote:
greggn wrote:

good idea!!
Unless its powder coat. The yellow stuff here is powder coated. That stuff is harder that paint and requires either caustic strippers ar sandblasting to remove it.
If you look up powder coat stripping, heat is one option.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Zeotropic wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:57 pm
Deplorable wrote:
greggn wrote:

good idea!!
Having worked with powder oats, i can say that it takes a hell of a lot of heat. Powdercoat begins to flow about 300°F and sets as it cools. Bake time is usually around 15 to 20 minutes at 400°F. So, to remove it with heat, essentially burning it off you're gonna need 400f for a while,and its gonna stink, a lot. PC is polyester.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Deplorable wrote:
Zeotropic wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:57 pm
Deplorable wrote:
Thebigbrewbowski wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:59 pm good idea!!
Having worked with powder oats, i can say that it takes a hell of a lot of heat. Powdercoat begins to flow about 300°F and sets as it cools. Bake time is usually around 15 to 20 minutes at 400°F. So, to remove it with heat, essentially burning it off you're gonna need 400f for a while,and its gonna stink, a lot. PC is polyester.
Yeah i was thinking more like 800+ outside. Keep it just cool enough to not damage the steel and clean the heck out of it after. If the uncoated or sheathed one is available it would be much better.