Bokakob 2" mini-still column

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Bokakob 2" mini-still column

Post by Yummyrum »

That all makes sense to me Expat :thumbup:
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

Expat wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:11 am
WithOrWithoutU2 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:43 pm
Expat wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:24 pm
I figure I can create the lieberg with 1/4 tubing running through 3/4 tube. Place caps on it, drill holes, run the 1/4 tubing through it.
3/4 is definitely too large over 1/4. The result won't be all that efficient. Consider 1/2. Cheaper on the material.
Are you saying 1/2 is actually more efficient at cooling a 1/4 tube? I have the 3/4 already, but would get the 1/2 it it would be more efficient.
Yes.

The goal is to maximize the flow of cool water against the surface of the inner tube and delay it's departure so it picks up lots of heat. Given the opportunity, water flow in the cooler will be though the area of least resistance i.e the center and avoid the drag of a surfaces, where you want it. An optimal cooler would force the water flow to stay directly on the surface of the inner tube, and introduce as much turbulence as possible to slow it's passage, even under pressure.

A 1/4" gap is commonly discussed as optimal due to assembly and material tolerance reasons. 1" over 1/2" has similar considerations to what you have planned.

For additional turbulence, many people including me will spiral wrap a piece copper against the outside of the inner tube, and solder in place. This both increases surface area and turbulence, which ups the efficiency further. Makes for tight fit but works great.

In the end, for a bok a PCs efficiency isn't as critical as a pot still liebig but a cooler product means (as mentioned) less loss and easier hydrometer readings.

Just thinking also, the weight of 1/2" with water will be a lot less than 3/4 and therefore the stress on the take connection will be more manageable.
:thumbup: Sounds good. I'll get some 1/2 and run the 1/4 through it.

Vinegar run done. Worked out well. No PC yet so the product was HOT. But I was running as fast as it could collect (about 1 cup every 5 minutes). The vapor condenser was getting about 1.15 liter per minute. A tad on the acceptable low side but I think I can improve it a little with tweaking my plumbing from pump to the condenser.
maka
Novice

Post by maka »

I have a few questions if someone can help. I built my Bok several years ago and am just now starting to use it. It is exactly like pikluks design in the beginning of this thread.

Is it possible to take the spirit off too slow?

What would be an appropriate take off speed?

I also notice the product is coming off quite warm. Will this make my product have more of a burn while drinking it.

For some reason I feel I've been taking all my product off way to slow. On both Pot and my Boka. I realized on my last Boka run I didn't have enough heat. I had my take off valve fully open and was getting only drops. So I was taking off everything as it was coming up. Essentially like a pot still. Once I turned my heat up my take off rate picked up as well and I realized I probably wasn't refluxing at all after I started taking off.

Live and learn

Cheers all
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Wow nice build!!